Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 38,133
Location: Stendec

11 Jan 2019, 1:48 pm

Fox News Article: Details Emerging.

While I am exceeding happy that she's alive and with her family, I can't help but dread the inevitable claim that her kidnapper may ALLEGEDLY be "on the spectrum".



Magna
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Jun 2018
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,505

11 Jan 2019, 1:50 pm

I live in the Midwest and given that this took place in Wisconsin, the story has remained in the news cycles. It's such great news. My heart goes out to her and the lifelong burden and damage she'll have to try to deal with over this could only be tremendous.


_________________
"There is no love of living without despair of life." - Albert Camus

Life is electric. Switch yourself on! - Magna

AQ-43 (32-50 indicates a strong likelihood of Asperger syndrome or autism).
EQ-14 out of 80
Rdos: Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 173 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 39 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)


Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 38,133
Location: Stendec

11 Jan 2019, 1:56 pm

Yeah, I can't imagine seeing my parents murdered, being held against my will in a strange place, and being subject to who-knows-what torture and cruelty.

I'm glad that she'll be cared for, and I hope that she fully recovers from her trauma and subsequent ordeal.



karathraceandherspecialdestiny
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 22 Jan 2017
Age: 39
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,857

11 Jan 2019, 3:47 pm

Fnord wrote:
Fox News Article: Details Emerging.

While I am exceeding happy that she's alive and with her family, I can't help but dread the inevitable claim that her kidnapper may ALLEGEDLY be "on the spectrum".


I'm wondering if it's not more likely we'll find out he was an incel. On their forums they are always fantasizing about doing something like this, they talk about it all the time and ask each other for tips on how to get away with kidnapping/raping/murdering young girls, or how to create a rape dungeon to hold someone in once you've kidnapped them, how to dispose of a girl's body after raping her to death, etc.



Catlover5
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 9 May 2015
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,755
Location: Norfolk, UK

11 Jan 2019, 3:57 pm

Very sad what happened to her parents but I’m really happy she’s alive and safe :heart:


_________________
I love me
And I love you
:heart:


MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Sep 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,159
Location: Mid-Atlantic US

12 Jan 2019, 9:37 am

Has it bothered anyone else that almost all media attention is focused on the girl and the fact the suspect allegedly* killed both her parents has become almost an afterthought?

*I say "allegedly" because you aren't supposed to state a perpetrator's culpability as a fact until they are convicted. Please forgive, I am not trying to cast any doubt.


_________________
My WP story


Last edited by MaxE on 12 Jan 2019, 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Jul 2010
Age: 56
Gender: Female
Posts: 5,701

12 Jan 2019, 9:43 am

People being murdered is so common that it isn't really a story that people will tune into or read.

Escaping, on the other hand, is a story that attracts viewer attention.



MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Sep 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,159
Location: Mid-Atlantic US

12 Jan 2019, 10:35 am

BTDT wrote:
People being murdered is so common that it isn't really a story that people will tune into or read.

Escaping, on the other hand, is a story that attracts viewer attention.
You're absolutely right!

Still, consider that this guy meticulously planned this murder/kidnapping against a family of total strangers. How soon would this crime have been solved if the girl hadn't escaped? It doesn't seem the police were anywhere close to having a suspect! I would like to think that this sort of crime is significantly less common than the routine sort of gunplay that takes place in "inner cities" in the US.

BTW whatever is "wrong" with this guy, I don't see any evidence he's on the spectrum. In fact, he is supposed to have had lots of friends in HS (if that's any indication he's NT). It's some other sort of psychiatric malignancy. I hope it doesnt represent a trend.


_________________
My WP story


Magna
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Jun 2018
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,505

12 Jan 2019, 1:55 pm

MaxE wrote:
Has it bothered anyone else that almost all media attention is focused on the girl and the fact the suspect allegedly* killed both her parents has become almost an afterthought?

*I say "allegedly" because you aren't supposed to state a perpetrator's culpability as a fact until they are convicted. Please forgive, I am not trying to cast any doubt.


I would like to think it's relief and happiness for her being alive first. Grieving for her dead parents will be a part in time. This happened in Wisconsin. Everyone in Wisconsin still remembers the abduction of Jacob Wetterling which happened in Minnesota, a neighboring state, in the early nineties. Jacob's murderer didn't confess until a few years ago. I think there is an extra feeling of elation in her case being alive, in part because of Jacob's fate.


_________________
"There is no love of living without despair of life." - Albert Camus

Life is electric. Switch yourself on! - Magna

AQ-43 (32-50 indicates a strong likelihood of Asperger syndrome or autism).
EQ-14 out of 80
Rdos: Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 173 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 39 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)


League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 23,225
Location: Pacific Northwest

12 Jan 2019, 6:10 pm

Where does it say he is on the spectrum? I didn't see it anywhere in the article.


_________________
I have a quilt of labels. I had a language disorder and a speech disorder. Then communication disorder NOS. My other diagnoses have been Language Processing disorder, dyspraxia, SPD, OCD, ADD, Asperger’s, anxiety disorder, adjustment disorder, anorexia nervosa. My mom’s labels of me are: eating disorder, anorexia, social anxiety, PTSD, just being sensitive and having the victim complex when I was a kid. And of course she says I’m normal and says the only thing I had as a child was language. Huh? I must have been a shitty person then and maybe a difficult child I was who had to be labeled because of incompetent school staff and mean kids who didn’t accept differences and because I was trying to be “normal.” :/

My blog: https://mynoneabdlthoughts.wordpress.com/


Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 38,133
Location: Stendec

12 Jan 2019, 8:20 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Where does it say he is on the spectrum? I didn't see it anywhere in the article.
It doesn't. I am waiting for the inevitable media assumption that he is.



erika luzia princess red
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

Joined: 22 Jan 2018
Gender: Female
Posts: 4
Location: Brasil

12 Jan 2019, 9:02 pm

Eu sinto muito por saber que tantas pessoas como ela podem estar ou vir a estar nesta situação. Eu não acredito que ele esteja no espectro porque não somos cruéis, apesar de vermos o pior nos olhos de muitos e sofrermos muitas vezes com medo da maldade das pessoas.


_________________
Pérola Luzz Princess red


Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 38,133
Location: Stendec

12 Jan 2019, 9:29 pm

erika luzia princess red wrote:
Eu sinto muito por saber que tantas pessoas como ela podem estar ou vir a estar nesta situação. Eu não acredito que ele esteja no espectro porque não somos cruéis, apesar de vermos o pior nos olhos de muitos e sofrermos muitas vezes com medo da maldade das pessoas.
Translation: "I'm sorry to hear that so many people like her can be or come to be in this situation. I do not believe he is on the spectrum because we are not cruel, although we see the worst in the eyes of many and suffer many times for fear of the wickedness of people."

:D Translation provided by "Google Translate" / Tradução fornecida por "Google Translate"



Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Sep 2011
Age: 4
Gender: Female
Posts: 16,510

13 Jan 2019, 8:27 pm

May others in her tragic circumstances; being held against their will, somehow be freed.

May those who can even seriously consider such things please get help.

For some, the line between fantasy and reality is becoming unclear.

And may those with an acquaintance/
family member whose fantasies are at all like this, PLEASE pay attention, please.


_________________
Sylkat
Student Body President, Miskatonic University


Mapofsteel
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

Joined: 26 Feb 2018
Gender: Male
Posts: 44

15 Jan 2019, 6:49 pm

MaxE wrote:
BTDT wrote:
People being murdered is so common that it isn't really a story that people will tune into or read.

Escaping, on the other hand, is a story that attracts viewer attention.
You're absolutely right!

Still, consider that this guy meticulously planned this murder/kidnapping against a family of total strangers. How soon would this crime have been solved if the girl hadn't escaped? It doesn't seem the police were anywhere close to having a suspect! I would like to think that this sort of crime is significantly less common than the routine sort of gunplay that takes place in "inner cities" in the US.

BTW whatever is "wrong" with this guy, I don't see any evidence he's on the spectrum. In fact, he is supposed to have had lots of friends in HS (if that's any indication he's NT). It's some other sort of psychiatric malignancy. I hope it doesnt represent a trend.

That’s not what I’ve read in most of the news stories about Jake Patterson. One of his acquaintances from high school is quoted as saying he felt sorry for Patterson because he DIDN’T have a lot of friends.