Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2019, 1:48 pm

Fox News Article: Details Emerging.

While I am exceeding happy that she's alive and with her family, I can't help but dread the inevitable claim that her kidnapper may ALLEGEDLY be "on the spectrum".

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2019, 1:50 pm

I live in the Midwest and given that this took place in Wisconsin, the story has remained in the news cycles. It's such great news. My heart goes out to her and the lifelong burden and damage she'll have to try to deal with over this could only be tremendous.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2019, 1:56 pm

Yeah, I can't imagine seeing my parents murdered, being held against my will in a strange place, and being subject to who-knows-what torture and cruelty.

I'm glad that she'll be cared for, and I hope that she fully recovers from her trauma and subsequent ordeal.

karathraceandherspecialdestiny
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2019, 3:47 pm

Fnord wrote:
Fox News Article: Details Emerging.

While I am exceeding happy that she's alive and with her family, I can't help but dread the inevitable claim that her kidnapper may ALLEGEDLY be "on the spectrum".

I'm wondering if it's not more likely we'll find out he was an incel. On their forums they are always fantasizing about doing something like this, they talk about it all the time and ask each other for tips on how to get away with kidnapping/raping/murdering young girls, or how to create a rape dungeon to hold someone in once you've kidnapped them, how to dispose of a girl's body after raping her to death, etc.

Catlover5
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2019, 3:57 pm

Very sad what happened to her parents but I’m really happy she’s alive and safe :heart:

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2019, 9:37 am

Has it bothered anyone else that almost all media attention is focused on the girl and the fact the suspect allegedly* killed both her parents has become almost an afterthought?

*I say "allegedly" because you aren't supposed to state a perpetrator's culpability as a fact until they are convicted. Please forgive, I am not trying to cast any doubt.

Last edited by MaxE on 12 Jan 2019, 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2019, 9:43 am

People being murdered is so common that it isn't really a story that people will tune into or read.

Escaping, on the other hand, is a story that attracts viewer attention.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2019, 10:35 am

BTDT wrote:
People being murdered is so common that it isn't really a story that people will tune into or read.

You're absolutely right!

Still, consider that this guy meticulously planned this murder/kidnapping against a family of total strangers. How soon would this crime have been solved if the girl hadn't escaped? It doesn't seem the police were anywhere close to having a suspect! I would like to think that this sort of crime is significantly less common than the routine sort of gunplay that takes place in "inner cities" in the US.

BTW whatever is "wrong" with this guy, I don't see any evidence he's on the spectrum. In fact, he is supposed to have had lots of friends in HS (if that's any indication he's NT). It's some other sort of psychiatric malignancy. I hope it doesnt represent a trend.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2019, 1:55 pm

MaxE wrote:
Has it bothered anyone else that almost all media attention is focused on the girl and the fact the suspect allegedly* killed both her parents has become almost an afterthought?

*I say "allegedly" because you aren't supposed to state a perpetrator's culpability as a fact until they are convicted. Please forgive, I am not trying to cast any doubt.

I would like to think it's relief and happiness for her being alive first. Grieving for her dead parents will be a part in time. This happened in Wisconsin. Everyone in Wisconsin still remembers the abduction of Jacob Wetterling which happened in Minnesota, a neighboring state, in the early nineties. Jacob's murderer didn't confess until a few years ago. I think there is an extra feeling of elation in her case being alive, in part because of Jacob's fate.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2019, 6:10 pm

Where does it say he is on the spectrum? I didn't see it anywhere in the article.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2019, 8:20 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Where does it say he is on the spectrum? I didn't see it anywhere in the article.
It doesn't. I am waiting for the inevitable media assumption that he is.

erika luzia princess red
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Jan 2019, 9:02 pm

Eu sinto muito por saber que tantas pessoas como ela podem estar ou vir a estar nesta situação. Eu não acredito que ele esteja no espectro porque não somos cruéis, apesar de vermos o pior nos olhos de muitos e sofrermos muitas vezes com medo da maldade das pessoas.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2019, 9:29 pm

erika luzia princess red wrote:
Eu sinto muito por saber que tantas pessoas como ela podem estar ou vir a estar nesta situação. Eu não acredito que ele esteja no espectro porque não somos cruéis, apesar de vermos o pior nos olhos de muitos e sofrermos muitas vezes com medo da maldade das pessoas.
Translation: "I'm sorry to hear that so many people like her can be or come to be in this situation. I do not believe he is on the spectrum because we are not cruel, although we see the worst in the eyes of many and suffer many times for fear of the wickedness of people."

:D Translation provided by "Google Translate" / Tradução fornecida por "Google Translate"

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2019, 8:27 pm

May others in her tragic circumstances; being held against their will, somehow be freed.

May those who can even seriously consider such things please get help.

For some, the line between fantasy and reality is becoming unclear.

And may those with an acquaintance/
family member whose fantasies are at all like this, PLEASE pay attention, please.

Mapofsteel
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Jan 2019, 6:49 pm

MaxE wrote:
BTDT wrote:

You're absolutely right!

Still, consider that this guy meticulously planned this murder/kidnapping against a family of total strangers. How soon would this crime have been solved if the girl hadn't escaped? It doesn't seem the police were anywhere close to having a suspect! I would like to think that this sort of crime is significantly less common than the routine sort of gunplay that takes place in "inner cities" in the US.

BTW whatever is "wrong" with this guy, I don't see any evidence he's on the spectrum. In fact, he is supposed to have had lots of friends in HS (if that's any indication he's NT). It's some other sort of psychiatric malignancy. I hope it doesnt represent a trend.

That’s not what I’ve read in most of the news stories about Jake Patterson. One of his acquaintances from high school is quoted as saying he felt sorry for Patterson because he DIDN’T have a lot of friends.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2019, 8:59 pm

I don't give a damn whether he's on the spectrum, or not. When she escaped, I was amazed because I was sure she was dead.

The guy confessed, in case anyone feels we need to "allege" his guilt.