If you have Arachnophobia == Beware!

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2019, 6:04 pm

Spiders are currently falling like rain in the state of Minas Gerais in southeast Brazil.

João Pedro Martinelli Fonseca, a 14-year-old witnessed the "strange" phenomenon while visiting family in the area, reportedly told a local newspaper he was “stunned and scared” by the sight, particularly when at least one spider fell to the ground. He captured the bizarre scene on video, which garnered nearly 40,000 views on Facebook after it was posted on Jan. 4

Source: 'Raining' spiders? Sky in Brazil covered with black dots during 'strange' phenomenon

The video is included in the article.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2019, 6:19 pm

Apparently they are not really raining down. Its that they become airborne upon their webs.

Like every American grade school kid I consumed the novel "Charlotte's Web" so I am aware that that's how baby spiders find their homes. By making little parachutes and flying off on the wind.

Even adult spiders should be rather prone to getting airborne if the wind were to kick up and turn their webs into frisbees- you would think . If you think about it its a mystery why that doesn't happen more often than it does.

Last edited by naturalplastic on 11 Jan 2019, 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2019, 6:24 pm

Note to self:

Stay the hell out of Southeast Brazil.

I don't like spiders! Snakes don't bother me at all, but I don't like spiders!

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2019, 7:02 pm

Nope! Nope, nope. nope, not watching that. Spiders and other bugs are bad enough without needing to 'rain' from the sky

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2019, 7:47 pm

graceksjp
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2019, 8:27 pm

Oh my god I dont know why I watched that :skull:

Its official- IM NEVER GOING TO BRAZIL. If I ever walk outside and see thousands of spiders floating in the air I am never leaving my house ever again.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2019, 1:35 am

I must have missed it. I watched the vid but only saw what seemed like stock photos.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2019, 2:43 am

As long as those spiders stay in South America, I'm fine with it. As long as they don't come north...
Yes, I hate and fear spiders.

PredatoryTunicate
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Jan 2019, 4:54 pm

That seems amazing. Why can’t stuff like that happen where I live?

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2019, 8:59 pm

Tee hee!

I’ll bet that that the Brazilian Tourism Board is having absolute FITS over that video!

:lol:

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2019, 9:05 pm

PredatoryTunicate ---There are many amazing sights to see. Sometimes you just have to keep your eyes open for them.

Where I live we have snowstorms. Sometimes if conditions are ripe, snow rollers will magically appear. On a flat field, the snow will roll like a cylindrical snowball. They can reach 3 foot diameters. So when farmers wake up in the morning, their entire field can be filled with hundreds of large cylindrical snowballs. They will walk in the field and try and figure out who made them. But they will be baffled because there is not footprints on the ground. These snow rollers are made by the wind.

Back during the dust bowl era, some people lost their lives because they touched the barb wire fences that held their cattle. The dust in a dust storm can carry an electrical charge and this charge can build up on the long barb wire fences to hundreds of volts and can electrocute anyone who touches them.

In some places you can see diamond dust storms. They are comprised of microscopic hexagon ice crystals. They are so small that you cannot even see them or the clouds that make them up. They glitter in the light like little diamonds in the sky.

Sometimes lightning will exist as a ball and just float in the air. They are called ball lightning. One of my neighbors had one appear in their basement. They are very beautiful but also very dangerous.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2019, 8:09 am

Hanggliding Nopes!

Not terribly afraid of spiders, but I'd rather not be in the middle of all that...