Snowy Owl

26 Jun 2005, 2:07 pm

Society has loads of rules that are not written down, for example:

Don't stare
Greet people with a smile
Clean hair looks better than greasy hair
Don't be annoying
Don't criticise other people

Why are none of these written down? I think its about time these were all written down, and the reasons for the rules also written down. I intend to create an internet site that lists all the rules, and their reasons (if there are reasons don't think there are for some of them, they are just silly). I am first of all going to collate a list of unwritten rules, if anybody wants to contribute you can email them to me at [email protected]

Does anybody know if anybody that has already done this?

NoMore
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2005, 2:32 pm

I don't know if anyone's done this before, but I think it's a good idea. I like lists. They make life much easier to understand. I maintain lists of lots of things.

pyraxis
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2005, 3:48 pm

Just keep in mind that a lot of these rules are culture- or situation-dependent. Like, different degrees of staring are tolerated in different countries, and cleanliness is far more important at a highbrow dinner than when hanging out with laid-back friends.

NoMore
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2005, 5:53 pm

pyraxis wrote:
Just keep in mind that a lot of these rules are culture- or situation-dependent. Like, different degrees of staring are tolerated in different countries, and cleanliness is far more important at a highbrow dinner than when hanging out with laid-back friends.

Yeah, I was surprised the first time I poked my way around on this site:
http://www.cccoe.net/social/skillslist.htm
Pretty darn comprehensive, IMO!

AS_Interlocking
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jun 2005, 6:19 pm

I actually have thought about this at length before. Obviously some directory of social skills instructions would be really, really helpful to a lot of people (I've never been dx'd anything, but I'd sure find something like that useful!). Obviously, it would not be 100% comprehensive, as one cannot pre-plan for everything that one may face in life, but, given the spectacular ability of Aspies in rote memorization, a system of writing the unwritten social rules of the world could be pretty comprehensive (95% of that 100%?).

If such a system were to be developed, I would envision it could be in several parts...probably several actual documents:
--General Code of Social Rules...the timeless, basic stuff.
--Updates every year or two, as new social rules and customs become apparent in society and others go away.
--Regional addenda, as some social rules are true in some (geographic) places, but not others.
--Smaller updates on a regular basis--perhaps every few months--to highlight fads and other short-term phenomenoa the NT world around the AS reader may be going through.

Just some thoughts on how to structure the structuring of all that currently is inquantifiable in society.

NoMore
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2005, 6:51 pm

AS_Interlocking wrote:
If such a system were to be developed, I would envision it could be in several parts...probably several actual documents...

Hmmm... nice system!

Quote:
"What's so great about normal?"--Katrina Elam

I have a friend who says " 'Normal' is just a setting on your washing machine." :D

MishLuvsHer2Boys
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2005, 7:04 am

I found a DVD once on one site, I think there may be a book for it too:

Quote:
The Hidden Curriculum: Teaching what is Meaningful, DVD. Brenda Smith Myles, DVD playing time 46 minutes

Using common, familiar examples, Brenda Smith Myles emphasizes the importance of teaching hidden curriculum items directly to individuals with autism spectrum disorders and social-cognitive challenges. This DVD is a great companion to the book Hidden Curriculum: Practical Solutions for Understanding Unstated Rules in Social Situations, co-authored by Smith Myles, delivering a clear presentation on understanding and teaching the unspoken social rules of everyday life.

Here's another part of that link from up above that links to student activities in understand facial expression and other activities as well.

http://www.cccoe.net/social/directory3.htm[url][/url]

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2005, 7:23 am

^^^^^
Is there a redneck version for where I live? :lol: There's non-rednecks here too but I usually don't give a crap about them.

pizzaboss
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2005, 9:51 am

I agree with the idea.