Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

kimroboe
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Jan 2019, 12:04 pm

Hi guys. It's my first time on this site. I am not and my husband is high functioning on the autism spectrum. We have been married 7 years this July. Last Sunday, he and I got into a huge disagreement. He ended up all if the sudden leaving the house without telling me where he went. He then sent me text messages telling me he was going to to commit suicide by freezing to death outside. (We live in a suburb outside of salt lake). I was able to get him to come home. He did bring his coat and was gone less than an hour. The original issue we were fighting over c was not resolved because I'm not sure how serious he truly was when he attempted. He seemed more mad than suicidal. He does have a counseling and doctor appointment on Monday where he will be evaluated to see if he needs medication. Because the issue we were fighting over was unresolved, it popped up again today. I don't feel comfortable discussing it with him because I can't trust he won't try to commit suicide again. Do any of you have experience with your spouse or significant other threatening suicide? I seriously feel alone!

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2019, 12:20 pm

It isn't just people with autism. Suicide and substances rates are up, even among people you wouldn't normally expect to have issues, like middle aged women.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2019, 3:57 am

do you mind if I ask what the disagreement was about?
Just wondering because it's obviously a sensitive topic for him, and if we knew what it was we might have suggestions how to approach him with it without setting him off.
It sounds like it's something he feels really strongly about but can't explain to you why. So when you bring it up he feels overwhelmed.