Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Ambrose_Rotten
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Jan 2019, 3:33 am

I'm currently setting up a Linux server (Lenovo Thinkpad X61) that will serve as a smart thermostat (it will communicate with wi-fi enabled temperature modules), although currently, I'm using it as a print server and cloud storage device.

I'm just curious if anyone else here is working on a project like this.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2019, 10:05 am

I used to do stuff like that in the late 90s when i wanted to learn networking and different systems.

I purchased old computers from companies and set them up as servers with hubs and switches and tinkered with networking. Nowadays if i want a lab environment i use virtualbox, if i would want to read a thermometer or control something, i'd use a Raspberry pie or Arduino.

I get the fun part of it though.

Ambrose_Rotten
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Jan 2019, 4:00 pm

I would use a raspberry pi. I have a couple, but for one task in particular, I need x86 architecture, (or I need to learn how to write my own printer drivers).

Arduinos are handy, but don't have any built-in wifi transceiver. I bought some esp-01 boards (they have 2.4ghz radio transceivers) to hook up to the arduinos, but quickly learned that they have their own built-in microcontrollers, so I don't need the Arduinos at all.