Page 4 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2019, 1:05 pm

Sylkat wrote:
If the Confederacy had seceded:

Would they still be a separate country?

Would they still hold people in slavery?

We all had a fun conversation about "if the South had won". here on WP a couple of years ago.

Might link to it if I can find it. We got as far as 1900. The US was two nations. North and South. The South still had slaves, but probably would have started to phase out straight up slavery starting about that time (but it had become social unacceptable by that time), but still would have had a racial hierarchy and segregation system similar to what it actually had in the 20th century. Because the North lost the war, and was in disarray, and needed a new capital city far from the border of the now independent south they would have NOT gone in for "Seward's Folly"- buying Alaska from Russia. So Czarist Russia would have continued to have Alaska until the 1905 Russo Japanese War. In which Alaska gets ceded by the defeated Russians to Japan. That might have been a good. If Japan had Alaska's resources it might not have become so militaristic. And might not have joined the Axis powers. On the other hand if Japan did join the Axis powers in WWII anyway, then it would have had a big chunk of North America as a base to attack the US.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2019, 2:14 pm

What if Greater Adria had not subducted under most of Europe? Would we still have the Alps or the Mediterranean?

What if the Tunguska Event had occurred over London, New York, Tokyo or Peking instead?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2020, 10:52 am

January 2020:
Trump is frustrated by the ongoing impeachment trail but certain of Senate acquittal and convinced his base will stay loyal even if shoots someone on 5th avenue. The germaphobic president convinced by experts that a coronavirus pandemic is coming to America and that it will destroy his reelection chances he orders a full lockdown and a travel ban from every s**thole country. He is salivates at the expectation liberals screaming and crying louder then ever before and congratulates himself for doing what no other president would dare do. Shutting down the economy with no known US cases causes massive and angry public disapproval. The House passes a third impeachment amendment for abuse of power and the Senate convicts. President Pence reading the political atmosphere removes all of Trumps actions including all the travel bans and dissolves the CDC. When the first US cases appear he laughs off critics as rejected wimps and urges Americans to go shopping just like after 9/11.

March 24, 2020
Because of no travel bans the alternate history pandemic is probably worse then actual one.

March 28, 2020
President Pence dies from COVID-19. Nobody can figure out which social distancing violation done in an attempt to toughen up the country is at fault. Ironic for a man who did not dine alone with any women without his wife. With 20 percent of congress ill or dead Nancy Pelosi as third in line under the constitution becomes President. The stock market is suspended indefinitely.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2020, 11:09 am

aquafelix wrote:
Why is so much alternative history ideas about WW2?

Obviously because WWII was THE central, and the most pivotal event in the Twentieth Century.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2020, 6:10 pm

March 24th, 2020

Trump admits that he and Melania Trump both have COVID-19, but still accuses the media and the Democrat Party of creating COVID-19 as an effort to try and continue kicking him out of office.

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2020, 5:09 am

aquafelix wrote:
Why is so much alternative history ideas about WW2?

One of the most important events in the 20th century, With WW1 being only more important because it basically created WW2.

AspiePrincess611
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Apr 2020, 8:15 am

Yes!! My son and I love history, and alternate history. One of our favorite shows was "The Man in The High Castle" about what would have happened if Germany/Japan had won World War II. I have a lot of German ancestry and I actually had relatives fighting on both the allied and German sides in World War II (no lie).
I was so sad that show ended :( It was based on a book, and I would like to read it someday.
I also had a bit of a crush on the character John Smith (Rufus Sewell). He's very handsome :heart: :heart:

Cooter, The Dukes of Hazzard

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2020, 5:12 am

AspiePrincess611 wrote:
Yes!! My son and I love history, and alternate history. One of our favorite shows was "The Man in The High Castle" about what would have happened if Germany/Japan had won World War II. I have a lot of German ancestry and I actually had relatives fighting on both the allied and German sides in World War II (no lie).
I was so sad that show ended :( It was based on a book, and I would like to read it someday.
I also had a bit of a crush on the character John Smith (Rufus Sewell). He's very handsome :heart: :heart:

I love Man In The High Castle and it is very good but I don't see the Axis invading North America after they won WW2, I think it would be a lot more like a Cold War between the US and the USSR of our timeline. I also don't see the Germans and Italians draining the Mediterranean because it would mainly be salt flats and an extension of the Sahara Desert, plus draining the Mediterranean because you would have to dam the strait of Gibraltar which would be extremely difficult to do, and the Germans in the Man In The High Castle already gained a lot of arable land in Eastern Europe through expanding eastward.

AspiePrincess611
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Apr 2020, 4:10 pm

Dylanperr wrote:
AspiePrincess611 wrote:

I love Man In The High Castle and it is very good but I don't see the Axis invading North America after they won WW2, I think it would be a lot more like a Cold War between the US and the USSR of our timeline. I also don't see the Germans and Italians draining the Mediterranean because it would mainly be salt flats and an extension of the Sahara Desert, plus draining the Mediterranean because you would have to dam the strait of Gibraltar which would be extremely difficult to do, and the Germans in the Man In The High Castle already gained a lot of arable land in Eastern Europe through expanding eastward.

Yes. I agree. Some of it is a little far-fetched. I have a degree in Physical Geography and draining the Mediterranean is definitely out there :) But Hitler did want to conquer the whole world, so I think he might have invaded North America if he won. But who knows?

Cooter, The Dukes of Hazzard

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2020, 4:52 pm

Yeah. Draining the Meditterranean would not be feasible, even if possible.

You would have to build a huge dam across the straight of Gibralter, and then pump the water out. It would have taken centuries to drain a bath tub that size. And, like D said, it might have just made the Sahara wasteland bigger.

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2020, 2:48 am

Sylkat wrote:
What if the Louisiana Purchase never happened?

I actually think this is totally possible, the US in our timeline intended to buy off many parts of the Louisiana territory rather than buying the entire thing at once, but the French would only keep some of it, because there is no way the French would be able keep all of the Louisiana territory, the French could keep the parts of the Louisiana territory with large French populations, and probably wouldn't go any further north than the Arkansas river. For this to have a much higher chances of being successful, it is a good idea to not have the French revolutionary wars and Napoleonic wars not happen, so the French could have more people to settle the territory.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2020, 3:01 am

i recommend a fascinating book, "101 stumbles in the march of history" for a clear-headed look at some alternate scenarios. :idea: if the meeting on jekyll island and the 1913 federal reserve act had not happened. if woodrow wilson lost to either taft or teddy roosevelt. if we had not entered the great war. if hoover was re-elected. if the banker's plot had succeeded, what would have become of marine gen. smedley butler?

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2020, 3:03 am

AspiePrincess611 wrote:
Dylanperr wrote:
AspiePrincess611 wrote:

Yes. I agree. Some of it is a little far-fetched. I have a degree in Physical Geography and draining the Mediterranean is definitely out there :) But Hitler did want to conquer the whole world, so I think he might have invaded North America if he won. But who knows?

The Soviets kind of wanted to do the same thing, but through allied communist regimes and client/satellite states around the world, and they failed. This is why I think the Nazis instead, would likely support Nazi aligned parties in North America, such as the Silver Legion and the American Nazi Party, because invading North America would be almost impossible to pull off, because of geography, with North America being so far away from Germany and even further from Japan, the US could have easily hold off any attack with its strong military paired with its geographic advantage as well.