Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

absurdist
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Jan 2019, 3:15 am

Hello. I am new to WP. I'm 35, male, married. I used to be a computer programmer and a college instructor until I developed a heart condition and was permanently disabled.

I'm not entirely sure if I have autism, but I am fairly certain that I do. I first thought about it in 2012, after reading Temple Grandin's book and then other things, because my entire life, I was always different than other people. I didn't really want to be different, but I did want to be true to myself, so it just happened. I got fairly good at imitating what typical people do, but most things never really felt right-- the things people like, how what they think is important, how "right" society is, and so on. At the least, the things many autistic people feel more like the things I say about myself, or would say than NT people. Of the people in my life, about 1/3 have been supportive, 1/3 said they already assumed I was, and a handful have been very hurtful and demeaning, particularly my mom. She works with severely handicapped kids, and says "You are not like them" and gets angry, so I just don't talk about it. I live 2000 miles away and our relationship is not very good so it doesn't matter that much. The diagnosis thing upsets me because it won't help me much, since I'm already retired and not expected to live to a normal retiring age. I feel like people should treat me how I want to be treated (like not being touched) because it matters to me, not because a doctor told decided to check a certain box.

I like cats. I have two cats named Cake (orange) and Ivy (black and white) that were strays until they decided to come inside. Ivy has a sister named Kashu (like Cashew nuts) that is Japanese for "singer", but she won't come inside. There are 10 or so other strays that visit my yard, some everyday, some only sometimes.

I like to go hiking, though it is difficult in the mountains because there is less oxygen, so I get tired quick. I enjoy taking pictures of flowers and animals. I enjoy reading a lot. I read about philosophy, history, science (especially neuroscience), and cultures/anthropology/religions. I'm learning Japanese slowly.

I like cooking too. I make Indian food and Japanese food, though I've always been mostly vegetarian... for really no other reason than that the smell of beef makes me gag. That was the first I noticed, even when I was very young. I don't like loud noises. Being in large groups is difficult, especially when it is chaotic. It has gotten harder to deal with them since having heart problems since it causes chest pain, which makes it hard to tell if it is another heart attack, anxiety, or something else. Lots of things bother my skin, like lotions or oils. The sun bothers it, and it feels so intensely bright, especially when I'm in the South USA (where I live now.)

I hope you are doing well and that you have a nice day or night. ^_^

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2019, 12:25 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

KomoDomo
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Jan 2019, 6:48 am

Welcome to the forums.
It looks like we have a bit in common by our interest in subjects. I also happen to be mainly vegetarian since November last year, and I've also been learning Japanese for some time now. Wouldn't mind having discussions if you're keen on that.

zcientist
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Jan 2019, 6:07 pm

Welcome to WP, absurdist. I saw a play once about Urmuz a Romanian absurdist from the turn of the century (early 1900s), very interesting.