Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

PredatoryTunicate
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Jan 2019, 5:55 pm

I’m posting this here because I don’t want to get in trouble on this other internet thing for posting about this yet I also need to get it off of my chest. Hopefully this is the right board for this sort of thing.
I’m active on this small art and animation program/social media site called Framecast, and one of the things people do there is make species for people to use. I made a character in a species that are weird magical fox-things, and one of the rules of the species was that they lacked genders and used they/them pronouns. On my original ref of my character in the species, I referred to the character with ze/zim pronouns because I thought that would suit zim. The species creator was fine with it. Today, I made a somewhat updated ref of the character, again using ze/zim pronouns, and another person who I’ll be calling Snake noticed. Snake first made a callout post, not revealing my name, that basically said they felt betrayed by someone they follow happening to use pronouns other than she/the/him for a fictional character. Snake later commented on my ref that I should use they/them pronouns for the character, because people might make fun of me for using them. I told them that people probably wouldn’t make fun of me for that, and they responded my use of ze/zim for a character might cause people to think that those pronouns are valid, and that they were somehow transphobic. I wanted to avoid their ire, so I didn’t get into a debate on what the definition of transphobia was, and I instead just questioned their first statement. Snake said people would believe pretty much anything on the internet and I should be careful around pronoun-related stuff, and the conversation ended there. I’m somewhat annoyed at Snake because I comsider pronouns like ze/zim to be perfectly valid, if a little weird to use since I’m not used to them.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2019, 5:57 pm

Why are you complaining here for what is happening there? You should complain to the moderators of that website, instead.

PredatoryTunicate
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Jan 2019, 6:01 pm

I told the moderators there, yet when things like that happen I often feel like just ranting about them. I couldn’t do that there because I could get in trouble there, and this is the only other social platform I have.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2019, 6:06 pm

^^ the OP explains that in the first sentence.

^ There is always someone who will take offence at anything.
Do what is right for you, and I'm glad you didn't enter into too much debate, it's frequently a pointless exercise with such people.

serpentari
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2019, 6:35 pm

what Raleigh said. some ppl just want to b***h and f**k with where they dont belong. use ignore button, and complaint if u feel like it. they are not worth noticing.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2019, 7:14 pm

Okay, fair enough.

Don't know what we can do about it here, though.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2019, 7:36 pm

Hopefully just talking about it has helped a bit.

serpentari
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2019, 8:23 pm

isnt that a purpose of haven?) its not like we unfuck the world by talking here, m?)

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2019, 9:04 pm

^ post of the day , I love it :lmao:

Quote:
3. The Haven.
The Haven is protected more than any other forum on this site, so if someone is in distress and posts there it is for help and support from other members

Could members please respect this rule , if you can't offer help and support , move on

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

Redstar2613
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Jan 2019, 1:19 pm

SaveFerris wrote:

Quote:
3. The Haven.
The Haven is protected more than any other forum on this site, so if someone is in distress and posts there it is for help and support from other members

Could members please respect this rule , if you can't offer help and support , move on

If people wouldn't pick one random post to complain about, then everyone could get back to supporting this person. No one here will be able to solve the problem but like Raleigh said, talking about it might help.
I don't know why you and Fnord feel the need to single out one person when so many people post things that no one here can actually help with, apart from giving that person someone to talk to. The OP was seeking support but instead was met with being singled out for literally no reason at all.
This thread belongs here just as much as the others do.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2019, 1:46 pm

Redstar2613 wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:

Quote:
3. The Haven.

If people wouldn't pick one random post to complain about, then everyone could get back to supporting this person. No one here will be able to solve the problem but like Raleigh said, talking about it might help.
I don't know why you two feel the need to single out one person when so many people post things that no one here can actually help with, apart from giving that person someone to talk to and, as the rule even says, offer them support.
This thread belongs here just as much as the others do.

Eh!
I'm a moderator , it's sort of my role here , I am entrusted with helping to keep the forums civil. If I think I can nip things in the bud by reminding people of the rules then I will and it's my call.
Got anything useful to offer the OP ? No ? Then move on.
Who said anything about this thread not belonging here?

Redstar2613
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Jan 2019, 2:08 pm

SaveFerris wrote:

You did. Or you implied it, at least, by sarcastically saying "post of the day" (or if it wasn't sarcasm, it seemed that in some way you didn't really mean that it was in any way a good post) and then quoting the rule, as if what serpentari said was incorrect.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2019, 2:15 pm

Redstar2613 wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:

You did. Or you implied it, at least, by sarcastically saying "post of the day" (or if it wasn't sarcasm, it seemed that in some way you didn't really mean that it was in any way a good post) and then quoting the rule, as if what serpentari said was incorrect.

It was a good post , I was not being sarcastic.

The reminder of the rules was aimed at everyone who reads this thread , I didn't single anyone out. I didn't find anything wrong with serpentari's post. Jeez

Redstar2613
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Jan 2019, 2:24 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
Redstar2613 wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:

It was a good post , I was not being sarcastic.

The reminder of the rules was aimed at everyone who reads this thread , I didn't single anyone out. I didn't find anything wrong with serpentari's post. Jeez

Alright then, I apologize. I misunderstood you.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2019, 2:28 pm

apology accepted.

I thought I was going to have to ban you :lol: <--- this is my sarcasm :wink:

PredatoryTunicate
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Jan 2019, 3:52 pm

I just checked on this post again and I’m somewhat surprised that it got this many comments, even if most of them are just a discussion.