Does your taste in movies change over time too?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2019, 7:51 pm

5 years ago the only kinds of movies I enjoyed were trashy horror movies and vulgar comedies.

But lately I've started liking different kinds of movies, dare I say, good movies? Movies that reflect on life, society, and the human condition. They make you think about things. Movies like The Green Mile, Forrest Gump, Mary and Max, Carrie, The Others, The Craft, In The Heart of the Sea, Sleepy Hollow, Sweeney Todd, Bohemian Rhapsody, etc. These kinds of movies make me feel things like joy, anger, and sorrow for all of the characters (even the villains). It's not cheesy and cheap like a lot of the horror movies and funny movies I used to like are. :)

Redstar2613
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Jan 2019, 3:34 pm

Of course your taste in movies can change, just like your taste in anything else can change. I don't like the same music I liked when I was a kid (although I still listen to it sometimes but it's purely out of nostalgia).
Some people think that people can't change, which makes no sense. Of course we can. We can all learn, right? Learning changes a person, so I really don't understand that way of thinking at all. We can change and our tastes change along with us.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2019, 4:18 pm

Redstar2613 wrote:
Of course your taste in movies can change, just like your taste in anything else can change. I don't like the same music I liked when I was a kid (although I still listen to it sometimes but it's purely out of nostalgia).
Some people think that people can't change, which makes no sense. Of course we can. We can all learn, right? Learning changes a person, so I really don't understand that way of thinking at all. We can change and our tastes change along with us.

The way I see it is that people can change some things about themselves but the very core of who they are as a person will always be the same.

But speaking of horror movies I find that I like the old black and white horror movies like Nosferatu and Night of the Living Dead better than the newer ones. :)

Redstar2613
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Jan 2019, 5:00 pm

TW1ZTY wrote:
Redstar2613 wrote:

The way I see it is that people can change some things about themselves but the very core of who they are as a person will always be the same.

But speaking of horror movies I find that I like the old black and white horror movies like Nosferatu and Night of the Living Dead better than the newer ones. :)

So no one is redeemable? Someone you think is a bad person can't learn from the past and become a better person?

But I think I understand why you prefer old horror movies. Due to limits in technology, they had to rely more on atmosphere and story telling than people do these days.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2019, 5:11 pm

Quote:
So no one is redeemable? Someone you think is a bad person can't learn from the past and become a better person?

If they are a sociopath or a narcissist then HELL f*****g NO! You can't make somebody who is incapable of feeling guilt "redeem" themselves. It does not happen! We all want to believe that every human being has a conscious and feels empathy but some humans are just rotten to the core and can never be fixed. It's sad but true.

Quote:
But I think I understand why you prefer old horror movies. Due to limits in technology, they had to rely more on atmosphere and story telling than people do these days.

Yeah I like horror movies that rely more on atmosphere and storytelling. Plus I'm getting kind of sick of seeing guts and gore in movies. :P

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2019, 5:42 pm

Definitely. When I was younger I liked movies like Silence of the Lambs and Blue Velvet. I wouldn't watch either movie now.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2019, 5:53 pm

Magna wrote:
Definitely. When I was younger I liked movies like Silence of the Lambs and Blue Velvet. I wouldn't watch either movie now.

I think I'm starting to feel that way about some of the violent zombie movies I liked. Not just
because of the violence, but because the makeup effects look so fake. Like in Lucio Fulci's Zombie I cringe every time I see the one zombie rise from the grave and I can plainly see the actor's nostril under a poked hole in the latex mask, or in Day of the Dead when the one guy has his head ripped off by zombies and you can tell it's just a mechanical puppet because his mouth still moves after his head is pulled off. :lol:

Redstar2613
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Jan 2019, 7:39 pm

TW1ZTY wrote:
Quote:

If they are a sociopath or a narcissist then HELL f*****g NO! You can't make somebody who is incapable of feeling guilt "redeem" themselves. It does not happen! We all want to believe that every human being has a conscious and feels empathy but some humans are just rotten to the core and can never be fixed. It's sad but true.

Quote:

Yeah I like horror movies that rely more on atmosphere and storytelling. Plus I'm getting kind of sick of seeing guts and gore in movies. :P

That's a rather extreme example which doesn't apply to the vast majority of people.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2019, 7:47 pm

Redstar2613 wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

That's a rather extreme example which doesn't apply to the vast majority of people.

Well you asked and you got my honest answer.

Redstar2613
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jan 2019, 1:47 pm

TW1ZTY wrote:
Redstar2613 wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Well like I said, what you said doesn't apply to most people. I was asking if you think people are irredeemable but you only based your answer on a very small group of people.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2019, 2:03 pm

Redstar2613 wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:
Redstar2613 wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Well like I said, what you said doesn't apply to most people. I was asking if you think people are irredeemable but you only based your answer on a very small group of people.

Well leaving sociopaths and narcissists out of this (who aren't as rare to come across as you think)

A lot of people DON'T change completely. It's as simple as that. Like the saying "You can take the boy out of the trailer park but you can't take the trailer park out of the boy". If people are raised a certain way then that part of their personality never changes. Period!

Now please quit derailing my topic. This discussion has NOTHING to do with people changing or not changing. :P

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2019, 2:13 pm

yeah, let's end this derailment.

A G R E E

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2019, 5:09 pm

I used to not like musicals until i saw Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street. :heart:

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2019, 12:13 pm

My movie taste hasn't really changed much, but I've noticed one change:

I've always enjoyed horror, but when I was younger, I enjoyed gore and blood, while atmosphere didn't usually affect me and I would see a movie relying on atmosphere as boring.
While I don't mind gore now, I find movies that are creepy more thrilling.
I definitely tend to prefer newer movies to old ones though (old here meaning black and white era), as the old ones tend to be too slow moving, old fashioned and just plain boring to me personally. Only exception I can think of right off the bat is Invasion of the body snatchers - I love all 4 movies, with the 1978 version being my favorite.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2019, 6:16 pm

Personally I prefer older movies from the classic B&W to the 70's, 80's, and 90's. Modern movies feel so... hollow. :?

"Hollowood" :lol:

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2019, 6:18 pm

I can certainly agree about Hollowood! :lol:

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765