Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2019, 11:27 pm

When I broke my ankle last summer and knowing my husband has a lot of pain issues, I hired a college student to work 2 hours a week to help me with my gardening. She worked out fantastically and I am keeping her on to do "whatever" stuff I can't readily do myself. (Not housework though - that's my housekeeper's job, and I'm also very happy with her.)

She's in Army National Guard so one weekend a month I can't have her so we schedule a different day. In addition to that and what she does for me, I think she has two other part-time jobs, for a total of 4.

I sometimes ask autistic people here why they don't pick up a little informal work, like mowing lawns, dog-walking, and such. They never have a good answer. The pay can be pretty good (I pay her $20 an hour) and people usually appreciate what you do for them. Sure, it's not enough to live on, but the money adds up, especially if you are on SSI and the pay is under-the-table.

Especially if you live in a small town, where maybe there are few jobs, working 2 or 3 like this can be something to consider.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2019, 11:45 pm

I would do pick-up labor jobs like you suggested, but my arthritic frame wouldn't hold out. a pity as I could use the duckie$$$.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2019, 11:59 pm

I hear ya, blabby, but I'd hire you to do my filing for me... Are you good at that?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2019, 12:00 am

BeaArthur wrote:
I hear ya, blabby, but I'd hire you to do my filing for me... Are you good at that?

i'm pretty good at perseverative tasks like that for other people but for some reason, for my own stuff, I couldn't organize my way out of a wet paper bag. :oops: