Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

d057
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2019, 1:07 pm

I didn't know which forum to post this in, so I figured I would post it here.

I live on the top floor of a three-story apartment building. I have a neighbor underneath me who keeps pounding on the wall underneath me, loud enough for the entire building to hear him. I have tried to control the noise I make with my feet while walking on the wood floor in my entryway. This guy even pounds on the wall when I am walking on the carpet in my studio apartment building, no matter what time of day or night it happens.

He does this even when I am talking on the phone or to myself, at an "inside voice" as they called it when I was a little kid.

I do not respond to his noise at all because I don't know how stable he is. I am wondering if I should get in touch with my landlord about it or if I should ignore him?

TUF
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2019, 1:22 pm

Doesn't help you much but maybe he's autistic himself? I say that because a lot of us have the issue the other way.

I suggest you put down rugs and things if you haven't already, look into sound proofing as much as is affordable.

If he's not autistic you're right, he probably has issues, so probably best not to approach directly but to avoid him whilst not avoiding living your life as you need to.

We have a holiday home where I have this issue. My neighbour hates the sound of typing after ten o clock and bangs on the wall. I keep my volume to a reasonable level, don't listen to music after ten o clock whilst ignoring him if I need to get work done.

d057
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2019, 2:15 pm

It may be possible that he is Autistic. However, I just think he has issues. I will only contact my landlord, or the police if he threatens me or tries to assault me. I am trying to believe he is not that stupid considering that threatening or assaulting someone is illegal and is ground for immediate eviction.

TUF wrote:
Doesn't help you much but maybe he's autistic himself? I say that because a lot of us have the issue the other way.

I suggest you put down rugs and things if you haven't already, look into sound proofing as much as is affordable.

If he's not autistic you're right, he probably has issues, so probably best not to approach directly but to avoid him whilst not avoiding living your life as you need to.

We have a holiday home where I have this issue. My neighbor hates the sound of typing after ten o clock and bangs on the wall. I keep my volume to a reasonable level, don't listen to music after ten o clock whilst ignoring him if I need to get work done.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2019, 2:29 pm

d057 wrote:
... I am wondering if I should get in touch with my landlord about it or if I should ignore him?
I think that you should first speak with the other tenants, and maybe get one or two of them to go with you and talk to the landlord. If only you go, then it's your word against the other tenant, but if you have others to back you up, then the landlord will be more likely to do something about it.

d057
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2019, 6:09 pm

I will definitely do that if the banging continues. I will contact the police if he threatens me or tries to physically assault me.

Fnord wrote:
d057 wrote:
... I am wondering if I should get in touch with my landlord about it or if I should ignore him?
I think that you should first speak with the other tenants, and maybe get one or two of them to go with you and talk to the landlord. If only you go, then it's your word against the other tenant, but if you have others to back you up, then the landlord will be more likely to do something about it.