Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2019, 8:30 am

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2019, 8:56 am

Yes, impeach him.

But an article of impeachment is only an indictment. It does not guaranty removal from office.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2019, 10:15 am

That's why I just heard on the radio this morning about some buzzfeed thing (that channel is still around?) about Cohen saying that Trump told him to lie has people gearing up for a new media blitz calling for, not impeachment, but instead....for Trump to resign.

I believe we'll see the "resign, resign, resign" chant replace the impeachment mantra. Why? Because of what you said about impeachment and the fact that it probably wouldn't advance to anything like removal from office in the Republican controlled senate. But most importantly, I think the new blitz for resignation is because it looks very likely that RBG will never be back at the SCOTUS again and the Democrats are mortified. People on both sides will ask for continual updates on RBG's health status. If she's gravely ill, it will have to be reported as such.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2019, 11:04 am

If he is removed, we still have Pence to deal with.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2019, 11:32 am

I say let them both destroy this country. f**k America!

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2019, 11:50 am

Trump swill either be impeached or assassinated. The political establishment wants him gone primarily because he is giving the game away. They need another figurehead for the oligarchy who talks eloquently and respectfully, while sticking it to the people.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2019, 3:07 pm

I think most democrats in the house won’t move to impeachment cause it’s poli suicide for a lot of them and will lose them their positions in the next election

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2019, 3:10 pm

sly279 wrote:
I think most democrats in the house won’t move to impeachment cause it’s poli suicide for a lot of them and will lose them their positions in the next election

I think it depends on each democrat's political base. Some democrats that have a solidly "progressive" liberal base would probably NOT vote for such democrats if they DON'T move for impeachment.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2019, 6:41 pm

Fnord wrote:
Yes, impeach him.

But an article of impeachment is only an indictment. It does not guaranty removal from office.

He SHOULD not have have been elected, He SHOULD be impeached and convicted but it is likely not to happen because of the base. The 25th amendment is the constitutional remedy most relevent to our situation but that is not happening either.

Removing him is the only thing that matters, anything else is a waste of time. While these things mentioned in the article would be important in normal times they ALL pale in comparision to having an extremely immature person being the decision maker on the nukes.

Again the the author of the article like most people is overly complacent in the assumption that a forcible removal of Trump would not result in bad violence. Because it did not happen before is a not a guarantee it won’t happen now. But it won't be as bad as a temper tantrum nuclear war.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2019, 7:45 pm

Magna wrote:
sly279 wrote:

I think it depends on each democrat's political base. Some democrats that have a solidly "progressive" liberal base would probably NOT vote for such democrats if they DON'T move for impeachment.

But democrats in areas who barely got elected and replaced republicans are at risk.
The ones in liberal area are safe no matter what such areas won’t elect republicans to punish democrats for not voting to impeach trump.
Frienstien for example could do anything she wants and still get relected

BaronHarkonnen85
Toucan
Toucan

19 Jan 2019, 1:43 am

Would be a waste of time and wouldn't pass the senate.

Further, if he did think there was a danger of it passing the senate, he could rile up his base to march on Washington.

He is also rich. He could hire mercenaries as his personal army and legitimise them as Commander-in-Chief. He could declare martial law and arrest his political enemies and overthrow the republic. If any president could do it, it's Trump.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

19 Jan 2019, 4:50 am

BaronHarkonnen85 wrote:
He is also rich. He could hire mercenaries as his personal army and legitimise them as Commander-in-Chief. He could declare martial law and arrest his political enemies and overthrow the republic. If any president could do it, it's Trump.

Trump isn't that rich. I mean, sure, he's much richer than you or I, but compared to the wealth of the United States government he's got nothing. This isn't Westeros, there aren't mercenaries sitting around Washington D.C. just waiting to be hired.

He's unlikely to leave before his term ends, unless his health gets even worse. But the "martial law and mercenaries" scenario is total fantasy. Even if Trump had a way to overcome the logistical problems in that scenario, he'd simply be executed by the Secret Service.

Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2019, 10:05 am

Democrats don't want to impeach Trump because they don't want to push people away.

That's supposedly what happened when Clinton was impeached. Republican poll numbers dropped.

I suspect that's also why "Black lives matters" has disappeared from the news.

BaronHarkonnen85
Toucan
Toucan

19 Jan 2019, 11:28 am

The_Walrus wrote:
BaronHarkonnen85 wrote:

Trump isn't that rich. I mean, sure, he's much richer than you or I, but compared to the wealth of the United States government he's got nothing. This isn't Westeros, there aren't mercenaries sitting around Washington D.C. just waiting to be hired.

He's unlikely to leave before his term ends, unless his health gets even worse. But the "martial law and mercenaries" scenario is total fantasy. Even if Trump had a way to overcome the logistical problems in that scenario, he'd simply be executed by the Secret Service.

He is that rich because it wouldn't take that many troops to take control of Congress and much of DC. And you're assuming the Secret Service would oppose Trump's auto-coup. You don't know that. The heads at the military might oppose him, but will the troops. Some will, some won't. It depends on how it happens.

If he sells his case well enough, it could happen. Granted, many state leaders wouldn't accept it, so there'd be a civil war.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2019, 1:37 pm

I'd love to pickle his organs in a jar of peach preserves. Would that be considered "impeachment"?