Anyone feel here they are too mentally sick to make friends?

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

neptunekh
Toucan
Toucan

19 Jan 2019, 12:51 am

I'm a very mentally sick woman and I get fed up with people telling me I should make new friends. I'm not meant to make new friends because of my mental illness. Besides the current friends I have, no one else is interested in being my friend.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2019, 12:55 am

Not exactly, it's more that I take a long time to trust anyone, a very long time. I don't think we should risk underestimating ourselves no matter how severe we've been told our condition is.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

fifasy
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2019, 10:50 am

The stigma attached to mental illness is real, very real. I have seen people on this forum WrongPlanet.Net lose their friends when they revealed mental illness. Be wary of talking about mental illness.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2019, 10:53 am

^ That's messed up 8O

And in answer to the OP's question , Yep , My anxiety gives me trust issues.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

fifasy
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2019, 3:30 pm

Why is no one answering this thread? Hint: Because of me. Please talk.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2019, 3:33 pm

^ That's your anxiety talking , thank it for it's opinion and let it drift out of your mind

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2019, 6:06 pm

Your statement could be correct

However most people just want to be friends with people that are just like them

Maybe you are just different

"Mentally sick"?

A symptom of clinical depression is "feeling of hopelessness, worthlessness, guilt"

Maybe the precious lil."people" that act like they are so f*****g important and awesome, ought to get diagnosed with "delusion of grandeur" and Narcissistic personality disorders :!:

:roll:

Who is to say what "mentally sick" is defined as?

Some of the most mentally ill people I have ever met, were clinical psychologists :!: :evil:

EyeDash
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jan 2019, 7:27 pm

neptunekh wrote:
I'm a very mentally sick woman and I get fed up with people telling me I should make new friends. I'm not meant to make new friends because of my mental illness. Besides the current friends I have, no one else is interested in being my friend.

Sometimes I feel similarly - I'm autistic, have a brain injury from childhood, and I'm diagnosed with an extreme case of PTSD and I sometimes get depressed. I can act pretty normally so long as I keep people at arm's length. I don't get mean with people so usually they seem to be tolerant of my differences. However when I spend a lot of time with others or I get close to them, I can't always hide my anxiety or sensory / emotional overwhelm, and then folks tend to "correct" me or try to get me to act normally (act social, happy, not overwhelmed or anxious...) and since I can't just change what I am it can create friction and misunderstanding. And some "friends" I've made have been people who have their own serious problems and were looking to use me. But over the years I've made some friends and I've learned a lot about myself and others and done some things I would never have done otherwise (like traveling to Germany and Mexico). I persist at it because it widens my horizons beyond what I would experience in isolation. This problem I have in friendships and relationships has been weighing on me a lot the last few weeks though and I've been working on it with a counselor I see. It helps some to know I'm not the only one dealing with such issues.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2019, 8:52 pm

Based only on your description , it sounds to me like, "most people" overpower you, because they outnumber you

That does not prove you are wrong and they are correct

For example, the solar system contains more defendants convicted of murder, than Nobel prize winners

The activity with more participants, is not always morally superior or better

The Klu klux Klan, Gestapo, whatever :evil: they have no problem making friends

Does not mean that they are good emotionally, socially, or morally

lostproperty
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2019, 6:45 am

Other than one person who lasted about 3 years when I was in my 20s, I've not made any friends of substance since I was at school and none at all for many years now, but then I've pretty much spent all of my time since aged 20 on my own at home. To be honest, when I was younger I was very capable of making an initial connection with somebody if I wanted to, but maintaining a friendship was much more difficult.

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2019, 3:36 pm

I used to feel like that too when my anxiety was too bad and i had tics. You should make self-care a priority before looking for friends. Take things at your pace.

quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2019, 4:10 pm

neptunekh wrote:
I'm a very mentally sick woman.

What are your problems?

SZWell
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Jan 2019, 9:17 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
^ That's messed up 8O

Same, I'm very inviting but my trust issues are going to bound it's own space. I don't know if I could get around it and if it's a function of my upbringing or my neurological limits... Maybe both

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2019, 10:41 pm

Plenty of mentally ill people have a lot of friends

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

26 Jan 2019, 11:23 pm

I was very mentally sick at one point & i found I got along well with some people who also had various mental issues they were dealing with. We helped each other out sort of like a support group kinda.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2019, 11:29 pm

SZWell wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
^ That's messed up 8O

Same, I'm very inviting but my trust issues are going to bound it's own space. I don't know if I could get around it and if it's a function of my upbringing or my neurological limits... Maybe both

a bit of both for me too , I can't see me getting around it fully any time soon.