Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

caThar4G
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2019, 7:22 am

I'm in an apartment on bottom floor.
The person above me was being a bit loud like stomping.
I told management. They asked the tenant if she could please try to be a bit quieter. They told me she's overweight.
That was earlier yesterday.
Later, that evening at 4:30 when I had got back home, she started her racket. This time till one in the morning. 5 or more times the amount of time than usual which is around one or two hours of noise. I thinks she's mad.
I have a newborn. I think this is abuse because also after he would cry, she would get up and move around again. She'd never done this before.
I left a message to management about her possibly being angry and retaliating, but it's the weekend.
Is there anything legal I can do?
I'm so angry I feel like I could hurt her because of the way she's treating my baby and I.

Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2019, 8:38 am

****Everyone here who's a lawyer, raise their hand.****

The Internet is a notoriously awful place to ask for medical or legal advice.

caThar4G
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2019, 9:13 am

Piobaire wrote:
****Everyone here who's a lawyer, raise their hand.****

The Internet is a notoriously awful place to ask for medical or legal advice.

Just thought I'd ask.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2019, 9:39 am

Rather go through intermediaries, I might approach the person myself and quietly calmly discuss the problem with her. Explain to her that you have a young infant and her noise is affecting the infant and that you are an Aspie with sensory issues.

Begin the conversation by introducing yourselves. Also listen to her concerns. She may be affected by your infant crying. Or she may be under a lot of stress. Who knows! (Maybe she is another Aspie with sensory issues!)

This is a very hard thing for an Aspie to do because we are introverts and have been subjected to bullying in the past. You might bring someone along for moral support. Try not to get into a shouting match.

Simply explain your concerns and let her respond. See if you can work the problem out face to face first.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

20 Jan 2019, 9:58 pm

There really isn't any legal action you can take unless there's a noise ordnance & she's doing it while it's in effect. It could also be argued that your infant cries which could disturbed her & other neighbors & if your infant has the rite to disturb her, she should have the rite to move around in her apartment even if it disturbs you & your son. Jimmy has some good advice but this may be one of those situations where there's not much you can do except put up with it or try to move. Our neighbors play extremely heavy bass sometimes. I've politely asked the guy to lower it a few times in the past which he did but last time he shouted that he was tired of people coming there & telling him to lower it & he slammed the door in my face & didn't lower it. He doesn't do it while the noise ordnance is in effect which is 10pm to 6am & our property management doesn't give a sh!t about this place so there isn't anything we can do except move. We're on waiting list but it takes time & the government shutdown might be delaying things too. In the meantime we can not use our living-room sometimes because the noise is too loud for us.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

caThar4G
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2019, 3:00 am

I found out she wasn't retaliating.
It's better.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

22 Jan 2019, 3:33 am

That's good. Sometimes we draw the wrong conclusions and find out it' s nothing personal or about us.

I hope she won't disturb you again and that these was a reasonable explanation. Sometimes it's a once off situation.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

caThar4G
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2019, 11:53 am

Now, I have this odd problem though.
There's this alarm type sound that's been going off in 3 beeps. It sounds echoey in the living room and my kitchen. I can't here it in my bathroom or room.
It sometimes sounds every 3 to 5 min, or every 10 or 15 min, or every 30min. It probably sounds echoey because i can here it out in the breezeway outside too.
The apartment people said it's probably the alarm running out of battery power in another room close by and they'd fix it.
I didn't hear it in the very early morning though. I'm scared it may not be the alarm and is something else.
What am i supposed to do if it isn't? Go knocking on my neighbors' doors asking?
I can block it out with my fan on low, but I don't want to go through the rest of my lease having to keep a fan or a noise machine on in the living room.
My landlord is already judging me for having sensitive hearing. I think this is cause for concern though.
I wonder if i can call a fire department?...

Deemar
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Jan 2019, 1:12 pm

The beeping is probably low batteries in a smoke detector.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

22 Jan 2019, 8:22 pm

Deemar wrote:
The beeping is probably low batteries in a smoke detector.
I was going to suggest that it may be a smoke detector. We had problems in the past with smoke detectors going bad & thy kept beeping till I took the batteries out. They got replaced & the new 1s never beeped.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

caThar4G
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2019, 4:00 am

I found out it's not a smoke detector.
It's something else.
I took some friends' advice and wrote a friendly letter tonight asking if they'd turn it off when they got home because it's starting to affect my baby and I. I stuck it in an envelope, in the door's crack near the door knob.
They are gone a lot apparently. I hope they see it soon. If not, then my friend recommended going to management.
If they don't do anything, i wonder if i can do legal action.
It is distrubting my peace, even if I can't hear it in my room or bathroom, i can hear it in kitchen and living room which is half the house. I have to put a box fan on low for hours to block it out.

Oddly I don't hear it at late night and early morning hours. ?

weatherednboston
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Apr 2019, 5:28 pm

When I started having trouble where I live now I found out I could put in an ADA reasonable request for accommodation.

I requested a top floor unit. I was not able to sleep for months. The top floor units are more expensive where I live and they are called loft apartments. They honored my request and gave me a top floor for the same price of the lower floor apartment!! !! !

It's so much better not having the noise above my head, the stomping above my head. But I'm still tortured by my neighbors down stairs. They like waking up between 2-4 am for the day. I think they deliver the local newspapers. How lucky am I! So I put in another ADA request for thick carpeting on my floor with a thick pad underneath. That was approved also. But they installed really thin carpeting worse than what I had. I didn't complain. I just deal with it and I'm up all night long with them.

So I suggest using the ADA accommodation thing. I've been doing it lots lately asking for non verbal contact from everyone.

ElabR8Aspie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Apr 2019, 5:25 am