Page 34 of 34 [ 541 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2019, 1:25 am

EzraS wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:
The biggest point of contention seems to be whether or not wearing a MAGA-hat is equivalent to having a swastika tattooed on your forehead.

wearing a MAGA hat = volunteering you have an acquired mental illness

Nah, it means you have avoided the mental illness known as liberalism.

Swap one for another?

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2019, 7:46 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
You have to REALLY like Trump in order to wear one of those MAGA hats.

At one time, yes, I would have agreed. More recently it's more of an "up yours" statement to those whom still have their drawers in knots to the point of daily hysteria over this presidency. I bought mine and wear it in the wake of this most recent clusterf*ck.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2019, 8:26 pm

Raptor wrote:
I bought mine and wear it in the wake of this most recent clusterf*ck.

Shocking raptor! :o
You would be the last person I expect to don a MAGA hat

That reminds me, I better dust of my well worn copy of Das Kapital...

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2019, 8:30 pm

Das Kapital is actually a very comprehensive, literate work....

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2019, 8:39 pm

don't tell that to a MAGA.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2019, 8:50 pm

sly279 wrote:
EzraS wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
feeli0 wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
feeli0 wrote:
Ok - please be careful not to use personal attacks. Goldfish, it is not up to you to offer a psychological diagnosis of Sly's mental state ('paranoid' used a couple of times), and Sly, please do not generalise a group of people as 'killers'.

There are probably more of these type of arguments seeping in, I really don't want to wade through all the comments, but the rules are clear. no personal attacks.

How is an accurate adjective a personal attack? :?

Or is this a matter of having to use the phrasing “suspected paranoia,” for I am not qualified to officially diagnose it?

No Goldfish, it is a matter of leaving personalities out of it altogether. If we all used accurate adjectives about each other, the fighting would descend very quickly. The inaccuracy or accuracy is not the issue. Do not make personal comments about each other.

That applies to all of you.

Since when is it against the rules to reference another forum member/describe them or their posts? :? First I've seen of this.

The things you say about people you disagree with are disrespectful and demeaning. Even if you don't see it that way, they and others do.

Yup

Except it has nothing to do with saying something about someone I disagree with, nor being disrespectful or demeaning. At all. It's straight up a factual & honest observation of his post(s). There are others I could look up to show you a pattern, but the one from this thread & my response to it will suffice:

goldfish21 wrote:
sly279 wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
I agree. I wouldn't compare MAGA hats with swastikas at all; that's a ridiculous comparison.

Saying this, I feel like people who wear MAGA hats don't really think too much about what Trump has said about many people---including prisoners of war.

It doesn't matter if one doesn't like McCain. But what he said about McCain not being a hero because he was "caught" (he was a prisoner of war in Vietnam) was absolutely ridiculous.

Then people who wear or wore Obama shirts didn’t and don’t think about the things Obama said.

It’s quite simplle of trump overall represents what you beleive the few things he says that doesn’t won’t matter as it’s him or the other side who overall is against what you beleive.
So I support trump. If I wouldn’t get killed I’d wear a maga hat but then some “liberal” might attack and kill me. Or force me to kill them.
Sad we live in a world where people have to live in fear of expressing their beliefs

There's probably like 5-10 people in America that think liberals are going to murder them & they're all just as anxious and paranoid as you are. Sly, seriously, there are no "radicalized left," coming to get you. That's just a boogeyman story trump tells to get his base all riled up.

Quote:
par·a·noid
[ˈperəˌnoid]
ADJECTIVE
of, characterized by, or suffering from the mental condition of paranoia.
"paranoid schizophrenia"
NOUN
a person who is paranoid.

par·a·noi·a
[ˌperəˈnoiə]
NOUN
a mental condition characterized by delusions of persecution, unwarranted jealousy, or exaggerated self-importance, typically elaborated into an organized system. It may be an aspect of chronic personality disorder, of drug abuse, or of a serious condition such as schizophrenia in which the person loses touch with reality.
synonyms:
persecution complex · delusions · obsession · megalomania · monomania · psychosis
suspicion and mistrust of people or their actions without evidence or justification.
"the global paranoia about hackers and viruses"

It's the dictionary definition of being paranoid; not a "personal attack," nor insult. It simply is what it is & I commented on it when it was relevant to the conversation. That's it, that's all. Quit looking for personal attacks where none exist.

Last edited by goldfish21 on 08 Feb 2019, 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2019, 8:53 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Das Kapital is actually a very comprehensive, literate work....

It is but I was being sarcastic...

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2019, 9:05 pm

EzraS wrote:
I wonder why the emphasis is on just straws and not lids and plastic utensils. I suppose I'll be expected to always have an arsenal of my own straws, lids and utensils on me at all times in the future.

But like I said as far as the future goes, my guess is a lot of food and beverage places will eventually be taxed so severely they'll be forced to shut down. Emphasis on the word forced.

I think eventually liberalism will get the dystopia it's striving for.

If you utilize these things regularly, why wouldn't you want to use reusable ones instead of generating ever more plastic garbage? :?

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2019, 9:13 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
EzraS wrote:
I wonder why the emphasis is on just straws and not lids and plastic utensils. I suppose I'll be expected to always have an arsenal of my own straws, lids and utensils on me at all times in the future.

But like I said as far as the future goes, my guess is a lot of food and beverage places will eventually be taxed so severely they'll be forced to shut down. Emphasis on the word forced.

If you utilize these things regularly, why wouldn't you want to use reusable ones instead of generating ever more plastic garbage? :?

That wasn't the crux of my statement.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2019, 9:21 pm

EzraS wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
EzraS wrote:

That wasn't the crux of my statement.

And that's not an answer to my question.

Aside, it's not carbon taxes or anything of the like shutting restaurants down here. It's property taxes (some restaurants have seen their property taxes rise by more than $100K/year, one had a $250K increase IIRC.) & lack of labour as cooks/chefs are in short supply because no one can afford to live in the city on a cook's wages. I cannot foresee a future where environmental taxes (what, like 2-3%?) will shut down restaurants. IMO, bottom lines may be affected, but very few restaurants will shut down due to a small tax increase. It takes big ticket stuff like we're experiencing here to do that.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2019, 9:27 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
sly279 wrote:
EzraS wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
feeli0 wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
feeli0 wrote:
Ok - please be careful not to use personal attacks. Goldfish, it is not up to you to offer a psychological diagnosis of Sly's mental state ('paranoid' used a couple of times), and Sly, please do not generalise a group of people as 'killers'.

There are probably more of these type of arguments seeping in, I really don't want to wade through all the comments, but the rules are clear. no personal attacks.

How is an accurate adjective a personal attack? :?

Or is this a matter of having to use the phrasing “suspected paranoia,” for I am not qualified to officially diagnose it?

No Goldfish, it is a matter of leaving personalities out of it altogether. If we all used accurate adjectives about each other, the fighting would descend very quickly. The inaccuracy or accuracy is not the issue. Do not make personal comments about each other.

That applies to all of you.

Since when is it against the rules to reference another forum member/describe them or their posts? :? First I've seen of this.

The things you say about people you disagree with are disrespectful and demeaning. Even if you don't see it that way, they and others do.

Yup

Except it has nothing to do with saying something about someone I disagree with, nor being disrespectful or demeaning. At all. It's straight up a factual & honest observation of his post(s). There are others I could look up to show you a pattern, but the one from this thread & my response to it will suffice:

goldfish21 wrote:
sly279 wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
I agree. I wouldn't compare MAGA hats with swastikas at all; that's a ridiculous comparison.

Saying this, I feel like people who wear MAGA hats don't really think too much about what Trump has said about many people---including prisoners of war.

It doesn't matter if one doesn't like McCain. But what he said about McCain not being a hero because he was "caught" (he was a prisoner of war in Vietnam) was absolutely ridiculous.

Then people who wear or wore Obama shirts didn’t and don’t think about the things Obama said.

It’s quite simplle of trump overall represents what you beleive the few things he says that doesn’t won’t matter as it’s him or the other side who overall is against what you beleive.
So I support trump. If I wouldn’t get killed I’d wear a maga hat but then some “liberal” might attack and kill me. Or force me to kill them.
Sad we live in a world where people have to live in fear of expressing their beliefs

There's probably like 5-10 people in America that think liberals are going to murder them & they're all just as anxious and paranoid as you are. Sly, seriously, there are no "radicalized left," coming to get you. That's just a boogeyman story trump tells to get his base all riled up.

Quote:
par·a·noid
[ˈperəˌnoid]
ADJECTIVE
of, characterized by, or suffering from the mental condition of paranoia.
"paranoid schizophrenia"
NOUN
a person who is paranoid.

par·a·noi·a
[ˌperəˈnoiə]
NOUN
a mental condition characterized by delusions of persecution, unwarranted jealousy, or exaggerated self-importance, typically elaborated into an organized system. It may be an aspect of chronic personality disorder, of drug abuse, or of a serious condition such as schizophrenia in which the person loses touch with reality.
synonyms:
persecution complex · delusions · obsession · megalomania · monomania · psychosis
suspicion and mistrust of people or their actions without evidence or justification.
"the global paranoia about hackers and viruses"

It's the dictionary definition of being paranoid; not a "personal attack," nor insult. It simply is what it is & I commented on it when it was relevant to the conversation. That's it, that's all. Quit looking for personal attacks where none exist.

Goldfish

You are a member here and have to abide by the rules set out in the TOS.

If someone complains about a rule break and a moderator agrees - it's a rule break. You need to accept this and stop interpreting the rules the way you think they should be interpreted , If a mod says you are in the wrong , you are in the wrong. If you disagree please take it up with the mod in question via PM's not on the forum , PM two mods or a mod you trust if you think it helps.

No need to post any more on this subject. If you carry on I'll lock the thread which will punish everyone.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2019, 9:37 pm

No one pm'd me. Just as I do with any other communication from anyone in any work or social situation, I respond to communication in the method it was communicated. If you email me, I'll reply by email. If you text, I respond via text. If you post and address me in a thread, I'll reply in kind. Is there some unwritten social rule of these forums that says you're not supposed to respond to posts in threads? :?

Feel free to pm me if you want a private message conversation. Otherwise I'm A-Okay with transparency. :) What isn't cool is making up new forum rules or accusing members of breaking rules they haven't broken. Especially if you're doing so publicly and then stating that responding is now against the rules.

Feel free to lock it up at your discretion all you like - it is your discretion, after all.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2019, 9:47 pm

Locked as warned

Goldfish clearly wanted this thread locked.

Goldfish wrote:
What isn't cool is making up new forum rules or accusing members of breaking rules they haven't broken. Especially if you're doing so publicly and then stating that responding is now against the rules.

No , you think you haven't broken a rule. New rules have not been made up , I didn't say it is against rules to respond to a warning I asked you to deal with it off forum ( i.e. don't spam the thread the thread with I'm innocent I tell ya , innocent :roll: )

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard