Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2019, 4:36 pm

Things quiet down with the relative drama and now I'm getting depressed over everything else I can think of... I'm in therapy now, talk therapy and a pre-DBT course, and they say I need to get out of my apartment and socialize with others more... Why don't I walk the block to the center to socialize like I used to in the past? Too attached to my husband and afraid something bad will happen when I am gone... ugghhh I have a really good friend in town too that works at the drop-in center I need to connect to so bad...

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2019, 7:19 pm

Same, except there is nowhere to sit around socializing, within one block

Nobody sits around the shopping center talking to strangers

At least, just panhandling, ghetto lil riffraff, drug dealer, and precious lil "people" best ignored

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2019, 11:01 pm

hey. Hope I can help. Although not a MD or therapist. Have had 20 odd years suffering from depression though and obviously ASD since birth. So never quiet right for the world I was born into....

Anyway, I will try to help as I am an Asperger with a technical BA degree, so have enough intelligence to read up on subjects that affect me in search for cures. In deed which I did.

OK. From what I have read on psychiatry for anxiety disorders and depression.
Before people get depression, they often suffer from anxiety for a sustained period. From what I have read, there appears to be a connection on sustained elevated stress hormone levels damaging the hypothalamus in the brain that regulates the production of stress hormones.

With this part of the brain damaged, I guess through the prolonged exposure to stress hormones such as glucocorticoids, the damage that gets done to the hypothalamus which then causes depression.

I guess, the reason why some people suffer from stress more than others before and after getting depression is to do with other brain make up. But that's another story.

So, as the damage is done already, your best port of call is to the MD / GP. Who, should prescribe you antidepressants if you aren't already on them for anxiety. If your anxiety is chronic or acute, the Doctor may even prescribe you a short course of benzodiazepines, to slow your speeding mind down a little so as to take your mind off things for a short time.

These days, due to previous generations of abuse, benzo's aren't generally prescribed for people with anxiety long term.
As Doctors prescribe antidepressants and usually specifically SSRI's to treat depression long term.

I would say if the doctor has prescribed you antidepressants, not to feel too bad about this, or beat yourself up about this. After all, human beings weren't designed to deal with the amounts of stress and constant threat that people in modern day life experience.

Anyway, without going into too much details about this (as this post could dangerously turn into a rant about how much I hate everything about life and many of the people in it...)

Let me try and just give some pointers that I have learnt over the years.

OK. Well, apart from getting to the doc, and also doing the CBT etc.
I recommend considering going the gym. As cardio exercise is known to help with stress if done in moderation, as well as lower blood pressure, heart rate, fend off diabetes, lower cholesterol
and the gym, if you pick one that matches your type of people. Will be a healthy place to work on your stress levels and health, with a little positive social action, without getting too involved.

Other places that are perhaps nice easy going places to check out would be coffee shops, libraries as well as
clubs or group gatherings that share a particular interest or hobby. If you have a hobby or special interest,
this is a good place I think, as people will speak the same language as yourself.

If you have no hobbies, you could consider voluntary work, as getting involved in something will keep your mind off your problems and you can often feel better about yourself by helping others. Especially if the people who you help are very positive and thankful.

One area that also may help you improve your depression, if you are open to the idea that is.
Is meditation and relaxation therapy.

Doesn't have to be too religious (although if you do go down the religious route, I personally recommend Tibetan Buddhism over most the others, as they appear to be more genuine and have techniques that appear to improve depression).

There are various types of meditation which help people work on their emotions, or what the Dalai Lama calls
destructive emotions. Which include contemplative meditation and cultivating loving kindness (including for yourself) meditation (Meta Bhavna Meditation).

I also think even the run of the mill "mindfulness" meditation can be really helpful for helping us escape the destructive thoughts and emotions that get us anxious and depressed. And work simply by learning to concentrate, by following the sensation of our breath. Harder than it sounds. Especially if done for any lengthy period of times, but if done on a regular basis can result in much better personal self control of our thoughts.

If you are not comfortable with joining a group or social circle and want to learn these things, that's if you don't learn them in CBT.

There are loads of books on the market that teach these techniques, from a religious, spiritual and purely therapeutic perspective.

I personally recommend books by Jon Kabat Zinn, who has written and co-authored many books on anxiety, as well as helped other authors write about depression. I recently brought one that was forwarded by him that also included a rather excellent CD that had guided meditations on it.

I also particularly like his guided body scan relaxation therapy which can also be found on this books cd,
as it can be used by not only people into Buddhism, but pretty much everyone, as it has no religious or occult connotations. it is simply a spoken word guided therapy.

https://www.amazon.com/Mindful-Way-Through-Depression-Unhappiness/dp/1593851286

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mindful-Way-Through-Depression-Unhappiness/dp/1593851286/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1549511642&sr=8-1&keywords=The+Mindful+Way+Through+Depression%3A+Freeing+Yourself+from+Chronic+Unhappiness+%28Book+%26+CD%29

If you haven't got much money (not saying that you have or have not), or just want to save a few bucks,
you can get this book on Amazon for next to nothing via 3rd party sellers on amazon.

I do think that apart from the chemical imbalance and brain damage that causes depression,
the rest is lifestyle and your perception of the world.

If you can get the doctor to sort out the chemical imbalance with meds.
You cant sort out the damage, it is just part of life.

But the lifestyle and world view you can try to adjust using therapy etc.
So the future can be much more positive that it may at first seem.

I also personally love doing creative things, such as writing, art and craft, painting, playing music.
Even at a recreational level, such things can be really uplifting and absorbing.
Can be a way to forget your problems by focussing on something fun and creative, which helps
you connect with your creative, emotional and spiritual sides. With out the pressure to meet anyone
or the worlds high standards or requirements.

Just learn to enjoy and have fun again, like small children. Just full of joy for the fun of it!
without judgement or self judgement. Just for the love of it!

Hope that info helps.
Hope things get better for everyone.
As the Buddha says, with our thoughts we create the world.
:-)

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2019, 11:03 pm

Sorry, one last thing I also recommend to do. And its an old saying.
We should all count our blessings every day, when we can remember.
As it helps us to appreciate what's good in our lives rather than get bogged down
with the bad stuff we experience.

And hey, if you have had bad experiences with bad people.
Then try your best, if possible, to simply not deal with them.

thanks