Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

rpm2004
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2005, 11:10 pm

Home-schooling is a good choice (no social pressure)

I droped out because of the other kids making fun of me

but if there is no social presseure there will be no social expeirence.

D-R-J
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Nov 2005, 10:00 pm

Anonymous wrote:
I'm a person with Asperger's teaching students with Asperger's at a private school in the Los Angeles Area. This school specializes in working with students who are on the spectrum, which means that 90% of my students have Aspergers or autism. It really is a great place for students who are on the spectrum.

If you live in or around Los Angeles, you might want to check out the Help Group.

My kids went to the Help Group, and one of them still does.. I liked it years ago, but sadly I'm not so excited about it now. Unfortunately, it's the only game in town for Aspie kids and there is not a lot of other choices. Now we're having to make some decisions on where we're going to look. I'm thinking about looking outside the LA area.

ster
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2005, 10:12 pm

i'm against homeschooling for my son, because his issues are primarily social. academically, he's a whiz kid.....how can you reinforce social skills when you're in a classroom of 1 ?

cpito
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Nov 2005, 12:09 pm

Greetings, after my own awful experience in public school, I vowed my own kids would never attend and they are both in a private catholic school. The first one my oldest (10, diagnosed AS 7 months ago) attended really wanted her diagnosed with ADD or OCD and were impatient with our insistence that it was niether and our desire to find the true problem. Luckily, we moved and transfered the girls to another, all-girls school. It was one of her teacher's there that pointed us down the right path and they have been wonderful ever since. This year, her teacher went out of her way to educate herself about AS kids and my Alex just loves her and school! One small example is that instead of harping on Alex about her awful handwriting, she let's it go and we worked it out that she could type her more important work like reports and such. The school is k-12 and the idea of being with basically the same group of girls until she graduates is very comforting to my daughter. In general, I am in support of private/choice schools, it's too easy these days for the average kid to get "lost" in public schools, never mind one with special needs. That said, I really think that the actual type doesn't matter that much. The difference always seems to lay in the teachers. I have no doubt that there are people who have good stories about the public system because they have found the people who care (and are competent). We were lucky to find find the right people at the right times even at a private school.

PrisonerSix
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2005, 1:32 pm

cpito wrote:
Greetings, after my own awful experience in public school, I vowed my own kids would never attend and they are both in a private catholic school. The first one my oldest (10, diagnosed AS 7 months ago) attended really wanted her diagnosed with ADD or OCD and were impatient with our insistence that it was niether and our desire to find the true problem. Luckily, we moved and transfered the girls to another, all-girls school. It was one of her teacher's there that pointed us down the right path and they have been wonderful ever since. This year, her teacher went out of her way to educate herself about AS kids and my Alex just loves her and school! One small example is that instead of harping on Alex about her awful handwriting, she let's it go and we worked it out that she could type her more important work like reports and such. The school is k-12 and the idea of being with basically the same group of girls until she graduates is very comforting to my daughter. In general, I am in support of private/choice schools, it's too easy these days for the average kid to get "lost" in public schools, never mind one with special needs. That said, I really think that the actual type doesn't matter that much. The difference always seems to lay in the teachers. I have no doubt that there are people who have good stories about the public system because they have found the people who care (and are competent). We were lucky to find find the right people at the right times even at a private school.

I'm glad you've found a place for your children. Sounds like so far they are doing well. I just wish I had the kind of support growing up your kids do. If you've read any of my posts. you'll see what I had when I was growing up was far from that.

In my experience with schools, alot of it falls on the teachers. Even at the same school, one can have a good teacher in one grade and a bad teacher in the next, so be on the lookout for that.

Sounds like the teachers and administration are actually responsive to the needs of the students. I hope the school stays that way.

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"