Books on Magick, Mysticism, and Divination

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2019, 9:27 pm

These are some interesting sounding books I'm thinking about getting for my birthday.

:star: :study: :star:

Can you guys recommend any other interesting books like these? :chin:

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2019, 10:00 pm

It depends what you're trying to do or interested in finding out. I spent something like four years reading everything I could get my hands on (with ever-increasing quality of book and author in mind) but admittedly it's probably only a small amount of people who'd want to read as much as I did or as much of what I did for that matter.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2019, 10:15 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
It depends what you're trying to do or interested in finding out. I spent something like four years reading everything I could get my hands on (with ever-increasing quality of book and author in mind) but admittedly it's probably only a small amount of people who'd want to read as much as I did or as much of what I did for that matter.

I'm just interested in books on various types of magick. Everything from Candle Magick to Tarot Cards to Love and Money Spells to Palm Reading to Voodoo Dolls to Astrology. Stuff like that. :D

It's one of my special interests. :star: :study: :skull:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2019, 9:39 am

Mere tech-work. Try finding books on the principles behind the practices.

Does the effect have a maximum speed of propagation? Does it follow the inverse-square law? Does it obey causality? Et cetera...

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2019, 10:06 am

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2019, 10:08 am

Fnord wrote:
Mere tech-work. Try finding books on the principles behind the practices.

Does the effect have a maximum speed of propagation? Does it follow the inverse-square law? Does it obey causality? Et cetera...

I wouldn't mind checking out books on the history behind these kinds of practices. Like which cultures blended together to create such beliefs.

I know Wicca is a fairly new religion created by a combination of ancient European and Middle Eastern religions (like everything from before Christiainity became dominant like the Greek/Roman, Egyptian, Mesopotamian, Celtic, and Norse Gods and Goddesses).

Voodoo is a religion that was created when the slaves brought their old religion from West Africa over to places like Louisiana and Haiti and it was combined with Catholicism

Hoodoo is American Folk Magic that was practiced in the Deep South by African slaves (some white Southerners also caught onto it). It uses the plants, animals, and minerals found in this area.

Rune Stones are a form of Divination (seeing the past, present, and future) using letters of the Ancient Germanic Alphabet marked on small tablets that are believed to have powers of fortune telling (kind of like tarot cards).

I think this stuff is all fascinating. I mean even if you don't believe in it you have to admit the history behind it is pretty cool, right? :study:.

And btw I aint interesteed in teh Bible. :eew:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2019, 10:13 am

TW1ZTY wrote:
Fnord wrote:
.Try finding books on the principles behind the practices...
I wouldn't mind checking out books on the history behind these kinds of practices...
Yeah, the history is interesting, but coming from a science-based background, I'm more interested in the why, not the when.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2019, 10:26 am

Fnord wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:
Fnord wrote:
I wouldn't mind checking out books on the history behind these kinds of practices...
Yeah, the history is interesting, but coming from a science-based background, I'm more interested in the why, not the when.

Maybe it's psychological? Maybe it works for the people who practice it because they believe in it?

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2019, 10:36 am

TW1ZTY wrote:
I wouldn't mind checking out books on the history behind these kinds of practices. Like which cultures blended together to create such beliefs.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Last edited by techstepgenr8tion on 31 Jan 2019, 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2019, 10:36 am

TW1ZTY wrote:
Fnord wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Maybe it's psychological? Maybe it works for the people who practice it because they believe in it?
But why does mere belief (allegedly) make magic work? That's an example of what I call Meta-Magic Studies. No one (afaik) has ever done an in-depth study on this. It's always been of the form "Do A, B, C and D will happen", but no two people can agree on why.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2019, 10:54 am

^ Those books look they are worth checking out. :)

Also I think using spells and home remedies with herbs and crushed minerals work because various plants and minerals found in nature DO have the ability to cure afflictions (and they can poison people). People have been healing with plants and minerals for thousands of years even when they didn't understand why they worked and modern medicines are all created by plants or minerals of some sort (anybody who says that herbal medicine doesn't work is an idiot in my honest opinion.)

Maybe science has refined the use of herbs and minerals for modern medicine, but in ancient times it was your shamans, priests and priestesses, and local village women who healed using these things and they were regarded as "magick" before modern science came along to study what works and what doesn't work.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2019, 11:06 am

AspE wrote:

Those kinds of things sound fun and they may look innocent but those kinds of books open up doors to some really dangerous forces. Those kinds of things not only get into your mind but also hurt you as well as your families and everything else. If you want to read anything the bible is the best choice because you don't need spells and other things. The creator, God can do cool things though you.

If you are also interested in supernatural forces, I would recommend Gospel Truth by Andrew Wommack. He talks about really cool things.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2019, 11:07 am

Ah, yes ... "Dark Forces" vs. "Bible Magic" ... :roll:

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2019, 11:11 am

I'm not interested in a book that says I deserve to be killed because I'm an abomination and I am NOT a Christian and never will be.

So lets just drop that please. I'd rather discuss books about the occult. :skull:

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2019, 11:23 am

I used to be interested in astrology... in the end I was studying such weird-sh*t astrology that the avareage astrologer thought I was nuts. I've tried divination with rune stones too... still got them somewhere, but I never liked the imagery of tarot. These things all require a lot of work to master and I suppose I was just too lazy in the end.

One area you may may wish to study is earth magic... stone circles, ley lines and the like (don't know if that's just a UK thing). The village where I live is supposed to be on a convergence of ley lines and attracts hippies and new-age type people. There's a celebration of the pagan fire festival of Imbolc here this time of year... that's really interesting. Clearly not the bible belt here, then.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2019, 11:28 am

^^

Scrying isn't a bad way to go as well if you feel like spicing up your meditation with a black mirror, cauldron full of water, tattvas, or some oversized Golden Dawn-style tarot keys.