Page 5 of 5 [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Crimadella
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2019, 9:26 pm

AspE wrote:
Crimadella wrote:
AspE wrote:
Blacks don't vote Republican in any significant numbers. I think Trump got 8%.

Hmm, I'm getting mixed results when searching for the percentage of black voters that voted for trump. Some are saying 8% while others are saying 36%. That's a huge difference, I wonder why?

Actually, I'm finding many mixed results. One claiming that while he only had 8% of blacks that voted for him while 37% current approval.

37% is an absurd number, you should know that.

Honestly I was a little skeptical. It seemed like it would have been higher than 8% also. Predicting a percentage by appearance of crowds isn't a way to calculate though.

To get back on subject. I didn't know the guy was taking pictures with the KKK while painted up like a black person. Perhaps it's best that he was forced to resign. For all we know, his sorrow could be faked. Even if one is sure that isn't the case, it's a bit of a stretch to just assume good faith and give the guy the key to the city(metaphorically speaking). That's a horrific degree of racism there.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2019, 9:49 pm

We still don't know if he was the black face or KKK in the picture.

Crimadella
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2019, 10:14 pm

Either role seems just as horrific to me. They might as well both be dressed up in KKK clothing (IMO)

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2019, 11:46 pm

Darmok wrote:

Virginia delegate plans to introduce articles of impeachment unless Fairfax resigns

Virginia House of Delegates Member Patrick Hope (D) announced Friday he intends to introduce articles of impeachment for Justin Fairfax unless the Democratic lieutenant governor resigns by Monday following new allegations of sexual assault.

“On Monday, I will be introducing articles of impeachment for Lt. Governor Justin Fairfax if he has not resigned before then,” Hope tweeted.

Hope issued the declaration hours after a second woman came forward on Friday to publicly accuse Fairfax of sexual assault.

A lawyer for Meredith Watson released a statement saying Fairfax raped her in 2000 when they were both students at Duke University, adding that the alleged attack was “premeditated and aggressive.”

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watc ... ent-unless

There Are Four Lights!

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2019, 9:32 pm

There Are Four Lights!

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2019, 6:24 pm

(That would be the Jill Abramson case, which hasn't been covered here yet: senior New York Times editor and serial plagiarist.)

There Are Four Lights!

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2019, 2:23 am

Gayle King corrects Northam for referring to slaves as ‘indentured servants’

Quote:
CBS This Morning" co-host Gayle King corrected Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam (D) after he referred to slaves as “indentured servants.”

The comment came in Northam’s first televised interview since he began facing calls to resign over a blackface scandal, in which he urged healing.

“We are now at the 400-year anniversary — just 90 miles from here in 1619. The first indentured servants from Africa landed on our shores in Old Point Comfort, what we call now Fort Monroe, and while—,” Northam said, before King cut him off.

“Also known as slavery,” King said.

“Yes,” Northam responded.

unday’s exchange was called out on social media, with some Twitter users pushing for Northam to resign.

“Words like 'Indentured servant' is how people try to erase the pain and horrors of slavery. It is how they think it harmless to wear blackface,” wrote author Julissa Arce. “[Ralph Northam] is done. If he won’t resign, he needs to be forced out."

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2019, 10:19 am

It was decided not to submit the "articles of impeachment," after all.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2019, 8:39 pm

I think it's satire, but these days, who can tell?

Virginia Democrats Announce They Would Only Resign For A Real Scandal Like Getting Caught Wearing A MAGA Hat

RICHMOND, VA—Embattled Democrats in Virginia announced Monday that they would only resign from their positions if they're caught in "a real scandal like getting photographed wearing a Make America Great Again hat or something really bad like that."

"Look, let's try to keep things in perspective here: all we've done is wear blackface, advocate for infanticide, and allegedly assault some women," said Lieutenant Governor Justin Fairfax. "It's not like we were seen wearing a MAGA hat or something."

https://babylonbee.com/news/virginia-de ... a-maga-hat

There Are Four Lights!

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2019, 11:48 pm

Darmok wrote:
[picture of shoe polish]

I don't see how the party with a racist president gets to call other people racist.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2019, 12:23 pm

In all fairness the whole disaster began with indentured servants, which is still a thing, even here in the US.

I posted in another thread about our poultry processing facilities here (and in neighboring states) which trick non English speaking people into working off a debt as soon as they arrive so they are enslaved workers. These kinds of workers are unable to get away because they aren’t sure where they are in our giant country and don’t speak our language. They may have also had their documents “misplaced” and been lied to about their rights. Same thing they did in the beginning with the colonies. The people the servants were indentured to back then quickly changed the rules to make the ownership permanent, keep the people from learning to read to educate themselves, and focused on non white people who couldn’t blend in. At the beginning there were white slaves as well as black ones, but they could escape easier. These slavers were greedy, ruthless, not dumb, and they saw that the indentured servants were their educated competitors once they were free. Plus, many of the specific African tribes made into slaves here in Virginia were known to be some of the smartest and strongest. Unbreakable people. Look up “Igbo” Nigerians from the Tidewater region of Virginia if you are interested.

People on TV can get huffy about terms but that stuff is a big part of Virginia history. We were (and still are in a different way) a big slaving hub. Nothing to be proud of, certainly, but we should be accurate. We owe the victims that much.