Any aspies here over 25 been mistaken for a teenager?

Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

neptunekh
Toucan
Toucan

02 Feb 2019, 3:18 pm

One of my online friends is only 11 years older than me saw my online photo when she thought I was 16 or 17 and I was actually 29 in the photo and she called me a kid when she didn't know me at all at first. Do I look like a teen in this photo even though I was 29: https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-thumb- ... dyhrd.jpeg
I'm now almost 35.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2019, 3:30 pm

I was proofed up to age 30.

I got into movies for the children's price(12 and under) until I was 16.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

UncannyDanny
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2019, 3:34 pm

I tend to look pretty young for my age, like around late teens, but I don't really mind that much. :lol:

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2019, 4:56 pm

Up to my 30s, when I started to get some gray hair. I have enough gray hair in my mid 50s to buy wine without ID.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2019, 5:02 pm

I was asked for my ID for beer at a local supermarket three days ago! Three days!

TUF
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2019, 5:21 pm

I'm 30 and everyone thinks I'm 12. Especially offline where physical appearances count. Kids menus, kids prices on everything, talked to like I'm stupid but almost always kindly, of course I'm 'not allowed to' drink.

Part of it is my physical appearance, everything from how I dress to my height to my lack of wrinkles and lack of ability to get rid of acne. I don't think women should have to wear makeup and I find it physically uncomfortable but being female I don't have a beard. If I was a man, I'd definitely have a beard. When I go grey, I'm keeping it which is uncommon around here.

I also feel about 5 years younger from the time I spent as a recluse. And that's aspie 25, not NT 25, I was young to begin with. I don't know how to act like a grown up or talk like a grown up and I don't really want to either. I tried to pass as one when I was younger and it didn't work and I feel like it still wouldn't now, I'd just make myself ill again.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2019, 10:04 pm

When I was 35 strangers had the nerve to call me "boy", "girl"

Trans

This is not uncommon

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2019, 11:16 pm

Yes, this happens to me often.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2019, 12:36 am

Yes.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2019, 1:20 am

This happens to me all. The. Time. When I was 21, I tried to buy mace and was told that I had to be at least 16 to buy it and did I have a parent with me? When I took the bus to university, a bus driver told me I didn't have to pay because kids 14 and under rode free. One time my mom told me she showed a picture of me in my 20's, decorating a Christmas tree in my Santa hat and pyjamas, to a co-worker, and asked her how old she guessed I was. She estimated eight or nine.

I'm 26, but I stopped growing after reaching 4'11", and I weigh roughly 90 lbs, which according to medical growth charts, is literally the average size of an 11-12 year old female. I wear baggy clothes, and I'm very underdeveloped (barely fit an A-cup), so people often get the impression that I haven't hit puberty yet. It doesn't help that my dress style tends to be very juvenile, because kids' clothes are far more comfortable than those made for adults, plus, it's really hard to find adult clothes in my size.

Sometimes I get frustrated at being mistaken for a child all the time, like when waiters in restaurants offer me a kid's menu and crayons, but sometimes it's nice. I know I can get away with stimming and running around and chewing on my chew tube in a way that would cause people to look at me askance if I actually looked my age. It's definitely a double-edged sword.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2019, 1:25 am

TUF wrote:
I tried to pass as one when I was younger and it didn't work and I feel like it still wouldn't now, I'd just make myself ill again.

That's really valuable information for me; I've been trying really hard to make my family take me more seriously by acting "more like an adult" which for them includes me being more sociable and communicating with them more, which is really hard and tiring for me. I think I would do better just owning my adulthood by being exactly who I am, which, ironically, is actually a child. Everyone says I still have the maturity of a young teenager, and that used to really bother me, but lately I've been wondering what's so great about being "mature" and "grown up", it's just a lot of hard work, and it's really boring.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

neptunekh
Toucan
Toucan

03 Feb 2019, 1:33 am

I feel I want to a become angry woman when people call me kid or kiddo even though I'm 35. How can I control my anger and stay calm? I have major issues.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2019, 9:51 am

Yes

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2019, 10:08 am

Yes, my actual age is about 20-25 years older than what most people guess is my age (by looks alone). This is something that is genetic down my father’s line. He had the same issues growing up, until he started smoking cigarettes. After he started, my father’s appearance aged faster than his actual age. I have seen a photo of my grandfather at age 50 and he looked to be in his mid-20s. My nephews also have this trait, except the younger one grew out a full beard so that people would know he was older than what he appears to be.

TUF
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2019, 10:11 am

StarTrekker wrote:
TUF wrote:
I tried to pass as one when I was younger and it didn't work and I feel like it still wouldn't now, I'd just make myself ill again.

That's really valuable information for me; I've been trying really hard to make my family take me more seriously by acting "more like an adult" which for them includes me being more sociable and communicating with them more, which is really hard and tiring for me. I think I would do better just owning my adulthood by being exactly who I am, which, ironically, is actually a child. Everyone says I still have the maturity of a young teenager, and that used to really bother me, but lately I've been wondering what's so great about being "mature" and "grown up", it's just a lot of hard work, and it's really boring.

Yeah I don't want to be patronising esp as I don't think it's true by your age*, but a lot of twenty somethings try to act like adults. Like make an active effort. It makes it obvious they're young and trying to make their way in the world (even if they don't physically look it) and sometimes because teens do it too, makes them seem more like teens.

For me, I don't know if I'm non-binary or not but I am very masculine for a female. And I was wearing obviously women's suits, high heels and makeup. I looked and felt very uncomfortable like a kid playing dress up. These days I wear tracksuits - which look young - unless I have to go somewhere formal and then I wear lads' suits and dress shoes (too short for men's). Keep my hair cut short and get away with it.

*I'm on about when I was about 23 it started and went on til I was about your age. By which time I was having a break down over it because I still wasn't getting jobs and I was applying every day and I didn't fit in anywhere.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2019, 1:38 pm

Personally, I look a lot older than 22, but this is probably because I live in three piece suits and ties. I've only ever been ID'd half a dozen times or so in my life, and have maybe bought tobacco/alcohol several hundred times.