Round 87%  87%  [ 27 ]
Total votes : 31

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2019, 2:43 am

graceksjp wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Well..about that old saw about how sailors and pilots fly around the world, and don't fall off.

Well they aren't really going "around the world". They are just going round the flat disk of the earth (like a kid going around the block).

Sailors don't fall off the edge of the earth because the oceans are all hemmed in at the edge of the world disk by that pizza crust that is the continent of Antarctica. Airplane pilots? Well they have to follow FAA guidelines and fly the proper routes, which keep the flying within the flat disk. The few rogue pilots who might have taken their planes to the outer edge probably were...disposed of ...when they returned home...before they could blab about seeing the edge of the earth!

The Sun and the Moon?

Well I am undecided about that. MODERN flat earthers, like you see on U Tube, are little different about that than the ancients were.

I am not sure which way I go on that.

The ancient civilizations assumed that the sun rose in the east, traveled in an arc across the sky, and set in the west, and then went underneath the flat earth, and rose again in the east the next morning. Egyptians, Greeks,Indians, American Indians, etc, all had that belief.

But modern flat earthers claim that the both the Sun and the moon stay above the flat earth disk, and that they both move in circle above the flat earth, and they only appear to rise and set because of distance, but never really go beneath the flat earth.

Both the earth and moon are about ten miles across, or like that, and they both hover a few hundred miles above the flat earth. At high noon the sun is above your head, but then it moves closer to the horizon and at night appears to set.

If the sun is circling above earth, explain seasons.

Day and night cycles are easily explained on a flat earth. The sun moves in circles around the North Pole. When it is over your head, it's day. When it's not, it's night. The light of the sun is confined to a limited area and its light acts like a spotlight upon the earth. The picture below illustrates how the sun moves and also how seasons work on a flat earth. The apparent effect of the sun rising and setting is usually explained as a perspective effect.

When the sun is further away from the North Pole, it's winter in the northern hemiplane (or hemisphere) and summer in the south. A more simplistic picture can be found below.

https://wiki.tfes.org/File:Seasons.png

graceksjp
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2019, 10:01 am

That makes literally no sense lmao

The Sun could never work that way. For one, because all the planets revolve around the sun, not the other way around. Also because ya know its a giant ball of extremely hot plasma burning many miles away. In the flat earth theory, is the sun still a star? How do the other planets work? Or the solar system in general? Why are all other planets spherical? Does the earth no longer rotate?
Also, please explain GRAVITY on a flat earth. Cause last I checked I wasnt being pulled sideways :mrgreen:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2019, 12:00 pm

graceksjp wrote:

The Sun could never work that way. For one, because all the planets revolve around the sun, not the other way around. Also because ya know its a giant ball of extremely hot plasma burning many miles away. In the flat earth theory, is the sun still a star? How do the other planets work? Or the solar system in general? Why are all other planets spherical? Does the earth no longer rotate?
Also, please explain GRAVITY on a flat earth. Cause last I checked I wasnt being pulled sideways :mrgreen:

About gravity, and why stuff falls toward Earth.

They teach you about how there is this mysterious force called "gravity" that pulls stuff to earth, and how a falling object not only falls but accerates at the rate of 9.8 meters (or 32 feet) per second as it falls toward Earth.

In reality there is no such thing as "gravity".

What is actually happening is that this entire flat disk earth we are on is itself constantly accelerating UP ward, at 32 feet per second squared. So when an apple falls from the tree it actually remains stationary. Its the surface of the earth that's moving upward at an accelerating rate that causes the Earth to smack the apple on its ass. But to you, the observer on the Earth, it just looks like the apple is falling because you are on the earth accelerating upward with it.

And modern flat earthers don't buy into all of this new fangled Copernicus and Galileo jive about the sun being the center of the solar system.

Its just as obvious that the Earth is the center of the Universe as it is that the Earth is flat. The planets, like the stars, are just little pinholes of light in that great dome over our heads called "the firmament".

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2019, 12:36 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
graceksjp wrote:

About gravity, and why stuff falls toward Earth.

They teach you about how there is this mysterious force called "gravity" that pulls stuff to earth, and how a falling object not only falls but accerates at the rate of 9.8 meters (or 32 feet) per second as it falls toward Earth.

In reality there is no such thing as "gravity".

What is actually happening is that this entire flat disk earth we are on is itself constantly accelerating UP ward, at 32 feet per second squared. So when an apple falls from the tree it actually remains stationary. Its the surface of the earth that's moving upward at an accelerating rate that causes the Earth to smack the apple on its ass. But to you, the observer on the Earth, it just looks like the apple is falling because you are on the earth accelerating upward with it.

And modern flat earthers don't buy into all of this new fangled Copernicus and Galileo jive about the sun being the center of the solar system.

Its just as obvious that the Earth is the center of the Universe as it is that the Earth is flat. The planets, like the stars, are just little pinholes of light in that great dome over our heads called "the firmament".

Why is this so hard for people to grasp?

Why do they insist on clinging to the absurd lie that we're living on a globe?

Like the ocean would stay on a globe lol.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2019, 3:03 pm

If you believe the world is flat then you might as well believe that vaccines cause autism and that you should not only refuse to vaccinate your kids, but your dogs and cats as well. After all, rabies is a harmless disease where all you do is froth at the mouth a little. :roll:

PearlsofWisdom
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Feb 2019, 9:04 pm

Biscuitman wrote:
Do you think the earth is flat?

I don't btw, my belief is that it is round

What scientist told you that.

This is where I've read it on westernised concepts.

Europe
The ancient Norse and Germanic peoples believed in a flat Earth cosmography with the Earth surrounded by an ocean, with the axis mundi, a world tree (Yggdrasil), or pillar (Irminsul) in the centre.[41][42] In the world-encircling ocean sat a snake called Jormungandr.[43] The Norse creation account preserved in Gylfaginning (VIII) states that during the creation of the Earth, an impassable sea was placed around it:
And Jafnhárr said: "Of the blood, which ran and welled forth freely out of his wounds, they made the sea, when they had formed and made firm the Earth together, and laid the sea in a ring round. about her; and it may well seem a hard thing to most men to cross over it."[44]
The late Norse Konungs skuggsjá, on the other hand, infers a spherical Earth:
If you take a lighted candle and set it in a room, you may expect it to light up the entire interior, unless something should hinder, though the room be quite large. But if you take an apple and hang it close to the flame, so near that it is heated, the apple will darken nearly half the room or even more. However, if you hang the apple near the wall, it will not get hot; the candle will light up the whole house; and the shadow on the wall where the apple hangs will be scarcely half as large as the apple itself. From this you may infer that the Earth-circle is round like a ball and not equally near the sun at every point. But where the curved surface lies nearest the sun's path, there will the greatest heat be; and some of the lands that lie continuously under the unbroken rays cannot be inhabited

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2019, 8:28 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
If you believe the world is flat then you might as well believe that vaccines cause autism and that you should not only refuse to vaccinate your kids, but your dogs and cats as well. After all, rabies is a harmless disease where all you do is froth at the mouth a little. :roll:

Krafty is right. I was just pulling your leg.

But only a year or two ago UTube was filled with folks using the arguments I used above to revive belief in the flat earth. And a number of prolific Wrong Planet posters were taking up the flat earth cause as well.

Though Flat Earthism does seem to have gone out of style among UTubers, after that brief craze, since then.

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2019, 9:18 am

Our Mother Earth is flat.

I don't see any tits on her. Do you? :P

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2019, 9:31 am

Drake wrote:
Our Mother Earth is flat.

I don't see any tits on her. Do you? :P

you were saying?

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2019, 9:38 am

and the moon is cheese.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2019, 11:28 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
and the moon is cheese.

Absolutely!

And NASA is covering that up To!

NASA has colluded with the diary industry for decades to suppress the truth that we actually have an unlimited supply of bleu cheese that could be strip minded from up there!

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2019, 11:58 am

naturalplastic wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
and the moon is cheese.

Absolutely!

And NASA is covering that up To!

NASA has colluded with the diary industry for decades to suppress the truth that we actually have an unlimited supply of bleu cheese that could be strip minded from up there!

And the only reason NASA are going back to the moon is to stop China mining all the cheese for themselves.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2019, 12:30 pm

It's for the good of humanity, the Chinese are lactose intolerant. Can you imagine the combined force of one billion chinese cheese-farts?

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2019, 12:40 pm

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard