Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2019, 4:45 pm

^^ That too. I think that it is pretty rare for a person to have just one disorder, but the pros seem baffled by even a combination of two. My AS mom gave me a classical attachment disorder that affects my life as much as the AS does, but they can't really be treated separately.
There have been many schools of therapy based on the work of a successful pioneer that nobody could emulate . I suspect that they were able to invent treatments for many odd combinations, but unable to systematize their method.

warrier120
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2019, 9:09 pm

I grew up holding the burdens of functioning labels. I was considered moderate to low-functioning (really?!) when I was younger at the time of my diagnosis. It wasn't until roughly my early teen years that I began to reject functioning labels.

Anyway, like others here on WP, I see problems with the "levels" system listed by the DSM-V. How could just one support level possibly fit one autistic person all the time? I could be level 1 most of the time but level 2 when suffering from severe anxiety or depression like I did recently. The levels system also doesn't account for comorbid conditions possibly affecting a person and how that would change one's support level.

(Sorry about the tangent. I wanted to explain a bit of my backstory to make it easier for my words to be understood.)

littlebee
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2019, 11:02 pm

I think a person needs to study his own brain function. Not so easy, as there is a blind spot in that oneself is in it as it's happening. but it's technically possible, and clues are helpful. There is always someone who knows more and/or has one of the missing pieces. In the short time I've been back I've found some parts that helped fill some of the remaining holes in the puzzle.