Page 24 of 26 [ 401 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2019, 11:54 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Alita wrote:
cberg wrote:

Part of all these technical disciplines for me is expecting myself to absorb all the necessary info before I even realize I'm done studying. I'm trying to avoid applying my absurd standards to loved ones.

That's an issue for me too. Then I realised our subconscious mind has far more power to absorb info than we give it credit for. Now I look at 'cramming' in a totally different way. :mrgreen:

You naughty...

As you can all see, this is a very iterative process.

These aren't even the posts I was thinking of, they're just relevant. Whomever said I get distracted expecting my love life to make sense was spot on.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Farunel
Raven
Raven

06 Apr 2019, 12:03 am

cberg wrote:
I'm well aware this kind of thing takes a lot of time, partly because I'm guilty of the above but mostly because the preconditions of being a savant hacker with almost no social life. Considering my isolated background, my social mistakes at least make a decent amount of sense with any context whatsoever.

I guess I'm trying to start by addressing our shared mistakes, as it were. :lol: Everyone can enjoy reminiscent talks of our most entertaining bad decisions.

I agree, and it definitely sounds like it shouldn't be problematic at all, at least to me. Again, I hope you have some luck!

I've personally had to learn the hard way to be a bit more careful, unfortunately. I've struggled a lot with finding balance in how I share things. One of the first I shared too little. And then I would share too much... and then last year I did both at the same time, somehow. I shared too much of the wrong things I guess? It's maddening. I don't think I'm going to have luck with anyone other than other Aspies who might be able to empathize with the struggle. But how in the hell do you find people that are just as reclusive as oneself? :skull:

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2019, 12:13 am

They found me, insofar as I can remember them acquainting with me in between our intermittent partying. I gave up labeling people by neurology years ago, diagnosing me correctly would be near impossible & I don't really believe in a scientific definition of sanity anyway.

Farunel
Raven
Raven

06 Apr 2019, 12:19 am

Well I applaud you for going to parties, heh. You are a braver soul than I. I try to avoid crowds, I seem to get instant headaches and an overwhelming sense of adrenaline. rip.

And I guess so. I just find labels easier for finding people who are like-minded. Of course none will necessarily "define" you, or describe your systems 100%. But it's nice to have a blanket term.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2019, 12:57 am

I'm more comfortable with adrenaline buzzes than I am without. I think that's part of why I'm on here digging around for ways to relax everybody, inevitably beginning with myself.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2019, 6:56 pm

Alterity wrote:
Cberg - are you looking to come up with ways to bring up the subject of ASD?

I think typically you can start most conversations by asking questions about the other person and their life. People do tend to like to talk about themselves.

I need to get better at this, yes. I'm wondering if there are things about people in general that fit the patterns of ASD as well.

Alterity
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2019, 1:46 am

I'm not sure if there is a real good way to bring it up. It's a lot easier to have someone ask you questions about ASD than to just start talking about how you function. A person would think that if they would ask you about it, if they care for you in an attempt to understand better. But I suppose that other people would also struggle with not knowing how to bring the subject up and maybe worry about offending us.

I had someone comment to me once about how they always had to say hi to me first. First I apologized and told them it wasn't personal, but then I elaborated that it was of a part of my Aspergers. (since then I've tried to make an effort to say hi when I see them). That was an opportunity to talk about it that sort of just fell in my lap... But maybe there are other instances like that have gone by that haven't been noticed. So keeping yourself aware for something like that, you could make an easy transition into talking about it.

I don't know how to bring up a lot of things to people either x.x

I can't think of anything in general that would be like ASD that isn't vague, or situation oriented. At least not at the moment.

Alita
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2019, 5:45 pm

Alterity wrote:
I'm not sure if there is a real good way to bring it up. It's a lot easier to have someone ask you questions about ASD than to just start talking about how you function. A person would think that if they would ask you about it, if they care for you in an attempt to understand better. But I suppose that other people would also struggle with not knowing how to bring the subject up and maybe worry about offending us.

I had someone comment to me once about how they always had to say hi to me first. First I apologized and told them it wasn't personal, but then I elaborated that it was of a part of my Aspergers. (since then I've tried to make an effort to say hi when I see them). That was an opportunity to talk about it that sort of just fell in my lap... But maybe there are other instances like that have gone by that haven't been noticed. So keeping yourself aware for something like that, you could make an easy transition into talking about it.

I don't know how to bring up a lot of things to people either x.x

I can't think of anything in general that would be like ASD that isn't vague, or situation oriented. At least not at the moment.

So much of this is also dependent on culture. In our Western Anglo-Saxon world, small talk and constant smiling seem to be more necessary for the fabric of society to hold together. This is not the case in a lot of other places.

You ever watch those movies where one friend calls up another and begins their call with, "So I was doing [A, B, C] this morning and I thought to myself [X, Y, Z]. Like, what do you think of that?" And their friend just talks to them as if they were in the middle of a conversation. No hello, no what are you doing, just down-to-earth convo. I really don't understand why life can't be like that in reality. What's stopping us? :?

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2019, 1:07 pm

Nothing. I'm always like that with neurodiverse people. Also works with neurotypical people even if they find it a bit weird. They get used to it though. The only category it doesn't work well with is neurotypical strangers, but then who cares about that category?

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2019, 3:11 pm

Yeah, I'm only trying to open the dialog with very close friends. I think I need to come up with some way of encouraging them to ask direct questions instead of letting miscommunications build on each other.

Alterity
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2019, 12:54 am

Alita wrote:
So much of this is also dependent on culture. In our Western Anglo-Saxon world, small talk and constant smiling seem to be more necessary for the fabric of society to hold together. This is not the case in a lot of other places.

You ever watch those movies where one friend calls up another and begins their call with, "So I was doing [A, B, C] this morning and I thought to myself [X, Y, Z]. Like, what do you think of that?" And their friend just talks to them as if they were in the middle of a conversation. No hello, no what are you doing, just down-to-earth convo. I really don't understand why life can't be like that in reality. What's stopping us? :?

I actually will do that with the few people I will communicate online with. I might say hi first but then I tend to just get right in what I'm wanting to talk about. Once upon I time I did this with quite a few people, numbers have dwindled to also not being often at all.

I have noticed that the small talk and smiling stuff seems to be pretty ingrained in the USA. If you don't do those things people tend to say things like "would it kill you to smile?" I also have a friend who is often thought to be angry because she isn't a big on the smiles. I've trained myself a little to pass along smiles here and there as well as some small talk...but ugh it is just a pain. I rather be in silence lol The whole of it has always felt rather superficial and kind of fake too. Like I kind of dobt they REALLY care how I'm doing, it's just a pleasantry. But I can't tell when it it's sincere and when it isn't so how am I to know how I should answer?!

Anyway cberg is trying to talk more with already friends so I would think they would have some familiarity with how he conversationally operates. At least to know how the chit-chat and smile stuff goes.

cberg, what about trying to get everyone to watch a movie about Autism? Or one with ASD characters? Maybe that would help open the door for discussion? Maybe i'd be easier for them to ask questions about the characters vs just them going "hey cberg why do you X?"

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2019, 6:16 pm

Having put some thought into the movie idea, I have no idea how I could introduce the concept without feeling intrusive. I can crack some jokes about it but that's as far as conversation about my screwball brain ever usually goes.

I suppose my friends notice characters like that all over the place, I just don't know though. :(

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2019, 4:15 am

sly279 wrote:
Most women here expect risky hobbies and do them themselves.
[...]
I don’t take much risk or do many dangerous things and so I’m called boring and lame by women, including here.
[...]
People fight with real swords and could be cut etc. they wear protection clothing but it’s srill risky and dangerous. So is just riding a motorcycle.

Most people take risks I wouldn’t do. Both men and women.

Sounds like cberg needs to move to where you are to find compatible women, whereas you need to move somewhere else to find compatible women. There are plenty of places where most women WOULDN'T consider you "boring and lame" for not being an adrenaline junkie.

I understand, alas, that you are pretty much stuck where you are right now, given your financial situation. I can only hope that we someday have a much better-developed autistic community than we have now, which could have ways to help people move and find new jobs and living situations.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2019, 4:30 am

cberg wrote:
What I'm trying to point out is that sexism is just as damaging towards males as feminists have felt about it themselves.

I don't think that's true for men in general, but I think it is true for specific non-mainstream categories of men, such as autistic men. For more mainstream men, I think there really is such a thing as male privilege that most of them benefit from, at least to some degree.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2019, 4:43 am

cberg wrote:
I tend to think the right people found me; a lot of this is about my own shyness in response to culture as a whole. [...] I'm not ruling out meeting someone new but how they would understand my perspective is beyond me. In my experience that really takes time.

Mainstream mass culture is excruciatingly superficial. If that's what you're objecting to regarding "culture as a whole," I agree. IMO, non-superficiality can best be found in groups with a strong sense of identity that is separate, to least some degree, from mainstream culture.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2019, 4:54 am

karathraceandherspecialdestiny wrote:
That's been my experience anyway, that I tend to "click" or connect with people much more rarely than those around me, and the people I tend to click with are usually--for lack of a better term--spectrumy. Not always, but more often than not I would say in hindsight the people I tend to connect with are different in some way that makes them rare.

This has been my experience too.

karathraceandherspecialdestiny wrote:
I believe that's at least a component of the social issues many of us have--how comparatively small our community is. I don't want to be simplistic and say it's all about odds, but I think that is a part of it.

I agree.

I've noticed that the men who complain the most on WP tend to live in rural areas, where the odds are indeed against them, both because of the male-female ratio in rural areas and, even more importantly, because there are fewer people in rural areas to begin with.