What are you doing about Climate Change?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2019, 11:34 pm

I spent my life trying to give people low-carbon options. Now, I'm really minimizing gasoline use, but I'm behind schedule for carbon-neutral house heating. I might build a rig to convert the dead logs around here into biochar, to sequester the carbon for four centuries.

DystopianShadows
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2019, 11:42 pm

Absolutely nothing. I'm not worried about it.

Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?"

Rustifer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Feb 2019, 12:05 am

I just farted

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2019, 12:22 am

I'm already into preparedness so... nothing. I can't do anything on a local scale to compensate for the gigantic problems caused somewhere else.

But i am worried about it and i think we're f****d since it requires all societies on earth to change. Especially two of them, the worst offenders and only one is interested in changing - and interestingly enough it's not a democracy. But both of them will suffer heavy desertification and loss of agricultural areas so the fate will take care of them. I live in a future potentially tropical area so i'm set.

By ignoring science that pretty much says the same thing, Idiocracy isn't a scifi movie about the future, it's a documentary about the present. And if you say that science isn't real or that they don't agree, don't make me buy an airline ticket and come there and smack your fox news indoctrinated brain.

Even if climate change didn't happen, the heavy use of ground water for irrigation is draining the natural aquifer below the ground, earth isn't capable of supporting such a large population and climate change is accelerating that since there may be less rainfall in areas that depend on them. But alarms are coming in that ice is melting faster and that the climate is happening faster an we may not have 10-15 years.

I'm convinced that i did the right thing by not having kids. I know how to purify and distill water and how to grow food using as little water as possible.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2019, 12:38 am

Actually, we could have ten billion healthy people, and stop the extinctions by giving nature half of the planet. We just can't do it on our current diet. Meat is health food in stone-age situations, but with trade and food preservation, vegans are over-represented at the Olympics, and under-represented in hospitals. In traditional Chinese food, meat was a condiment, used because otherwise carrion would be wasted. Animals were not raised for slaughter.
I know that I can't stop the floods myself, but by reducing my consumption to the sustainable average, I may encourage others.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2019, 12:53 am

Not being wasteful of anything. Eating more plant based protein than I already do.

RoseThorn13
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Feb 2019, 1:16 am

I think we're screwed. :( All I can really do is hope and pray that I will be spared when it hits the fan. Or that I will die so quickly that I'm put out of my misery and don't have to see the world around me collapse.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2019, 3:22 am

Rustifer wrote:
I just farted

That causes greenhouse gas, you're destroying the planet.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

05 Feb 2019, 6:31 am

I sign LOTS of petitions, take LOTS of surveys & write letters to politicians about this. I also vote for politicians who readily admit climate change is real

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2019, 6:35 am

I've heard cow farts are an issue, so I eat lots of beef.

Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2019, 7:21 am

We mulch, we compost, we recycle, we're as energy efficient as possible.
In the end, it's not going to make a dime's worth of difference. Climate change, the Anthropocene Mass Extinction Event, and the inevitable Malthusian Check to humanity is inevitable; in the unlikely event that we finally reach a global consensus to engage in any meaningful corrective action, it'll be too little, too late.
All things are conditional; they arise and are sustained by the causes and conditions which preceded and exist concomitantly with them; when those contributory and sustaining causes and conditions fade away, the phenomena dependent upon them fades away, too. Additionally, all things are impermanent; everything; including our planet, our solar system, and the universe will one day disappear. As cosmically insignificant a species as Homo sapiens is no different. We have based our global society upon the exponential growth in consumption of natural resources, fueled by the burning of fossil fuels, and by so doing we have irreversibly destabilized the climate of our planet, which up until the Industrial Revolution had remained so stable and temperate that it allowed the human population to burgeon exponentially from 4-6 million at the beginning of the Mesolithic to 7.7 billion people today.
This is simply the natural and logical consequences of our actions; our collective karma.
Knowing this, I continue to compost, recycle, and save energy anyway, because doing the right thing is in no way ever dependent upon probability of success. Besides, perhaps it's not too late. I might be wholly mistaken. I often am.

“It's the action, not the fruit of the action, that's important. You have to do the right thing. It may not be in your power, may not be in your time, that there'll be any fruit. But that doesn't mean you stop doing the right thing. You may never know what results come from your action. But if you do nothing, there will be no result.”
Mahatma Gandhi

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2019, 12:01 pm

Not enough.

Vote Democratic.
Vote for every public transportation bill, but I don't use public transportation.
Recycle.
Walk for local errands.
Drive a compact car.
Eat vegan several times a week.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2019, 12:05 pm

Dear_one wrote:
What are you doing about Climate Change?
Well, first I'm getting tired of people trying to raise my social consciousness so I can affirm their righteousness by fighting their battles for them.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2019, 12:11 pm

Huh? I'm harvesting carbon by composting all the leaves that fall in my yard. Carbon is good!

gingerpickles
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2019, 12:32 pm

I'd have to say not a damn thing. Not an issue for me. Though we can make ourselves SLIGHTLY miserable I don't think small us can do anything to the climate that is permanent. Ice age or carbon greenhouse redux will happen, and we either adapt like sharks and birds or die out like T-Rex and Smiledon. Maybe the next great civilization will be the Insectoids. Hasta la Vista Furry Meatbags!

Granted I try to be kinder to the ecosystem when I can. I avoid non-biodegradable containers/materials when possible. I believe in the humane treatment of our captive prey. But I am gonna eat my omnivore diet guilt free otherwise.
I avoid aimless driving. When possible I use a bike or walk for health and a little less gas use, even when gas is cheap. For my own self more than environment I don't waste water and keep my energy consumption minimal. Even if I was making better money I likely would not increase my utility usage more than a single digit of percentage.

But I am definitely a consumer, despite my usually modest needs. I will not naysay myself anything that is in my affordability.

grahambaster
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Feb 2019, 12:52 pm

I don't take responsibility for climate change. Out out brief candle!