Page 4 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 19 Dec 2017
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Posts: 5,793

07 Feb 2019, 11:36 pm

Agreed, u need to have defences on n be alert at least, no matter what, to get by in life.. which is hard

i hope u experience things that make u trust at least some genuine good n decent ppl without getting betrayed again


_________________
Take defeat as an urge to greater effort.
-Napoleon Hill


magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jun 2017
Age: 35
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,173
Location: Poland

07 Feb 2019, 11:37 pm

blackicmenace wrote:
Here is something you should consider. Humans tend to act irrationally under the influence of fear. Psychopaths do not feel fear, this gives them the ability to be calculated when they set their mind to something no matter the risk involved and they are attracted to power. What happens when one wields this omnipotent precrime to destroy without probable cause or proof other than one persons word against any others? How do you keep the monsters you want to destroy from destroying you because you are a threat to their survival and a perceived enemy?

I see various traits mixed in this picture.
Not feeling fear the normal way - check Alex Honnold, a guy who climbs free solo on super-hard routes. I have a similar trait, which means awareness of a danger does not cloud my rational thinking (except for social anxiety but that's a different story) and in obviously dangerous situations I perform "psychopatically" rationally, which more than once saved not only me.
It has nothing to do with one's sense of morality.
Attraction to power is a separate trait, linked to narcissism.
Seeing others as enemies is about being paranoic. Yet another trait.

Yes, when these traits come together, you get a very dangerous person. But they are not interlinked into psychopathy.


_________________
Let's not confuse being normal with being mentally healthy.
***** ***


blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Nov 2016
Age: 43
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,160
Location: Sagittarius A

07 Feb 2019, 11:56 pm

magz wrote:
blackicmenace wrote:
Here is something you should consider. Humans tend to act irrationally under the influence of fear. Psychopaths do not feel fear, this gives them the ability to be calculated when they set their mind to something no matter the risk involved and they are attracted to power. What happens when one wields this omnipotent precrime to destroy without probable cause or proof other than one persons word against any others? How do you keep the monsters you want to destroy from destroying you because you are a threat to their survival and a perceived enemy?

I see various traits mixed in this picture.
Not feeling fear the normal way - check Alex Honnold, a guy who climbs free solo on super-hard routes. I have a similar trait, which means awareness of a danger does not cloud my rational thinking (except for social anxiety but that's a different story) and in obviously dangerous situations I perform "psychopatically" rationally, which more than once saved not only me.
It has nothing to do with one's sense of morality.
Attraction to power is a separate trait, linked to narcissism.
Seeing others as enemies is about being paranoic. Yet another trait.

Yes, when these traits come together, you get a very dangerous person. But they are not interlinked into psychopathy.

I was not talking about fight or flight. I have the fight response as well so I can process information under the effects of fear, but we still see the danger. I was under the understanding those of the antisocial variety tend to drift towards positions of power?


_________________
Do not fear to be eccentric in opinion, for every opinion now accepted was once eccentric.” ― Bertrand Russell


RoseThorn13
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 3 Feb 2019
Gender: Male
Posts: 140

08 Feb 2019, 12:03 am

You know, I sometimes forget that even non-antisocial types are capable of murdering people they really hate and feel no guilt about it either (but they would maybe feel guilt over killing somebody they didn't hate).

I think... people just suck. They really do. I'm better off avoiding all people I guess. I never know when one of them might victimize me. :|


_________________
Every rose has its thorns


blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Nov 2016
Age: 43
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,160
Location: Sagittarius A

08 Feb 2019, 12:09 am

RoseThorn13 wrote:
You know, I sometimes forget that even non-antisocial types are capable of murdering people they really hate and feel no guilt about it either (but they would maybe feel guilt over killing somebody they didn't hate).

I think... people just suck. They really do. I'm better off avoiding all people I guess. I never know when one of them might victimize me. :|

Average humans can be motivated by fear to do terrible things. People do terrible things to simply fit into their tribe, just look at the Stanford prison experiment.


_________________
Do not fear to be eccentric in opinion, for every opinion now accepted was once eccentric.” ― Bertrand Russell


magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jun 2017
Age: 35
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,173
Location: Poland

08 Feb 2019, 12:11 am

blackicmenace wrote:
I was not talking about fight or flight. I have the fight response as well so I can process information under the effects of fear, but we still see the danger. I was under the understanding those of the antisocial variety tend to drift towards positions of power?

Well, maybe it is a kind of fight or fight reaction indeed. I don't feel scared, I just pay attention to see the patterns so I can handle the situation efficiently.
Many antisocials can't climb into positions of power, instead they and up in jail for really stupid crimes caused by their disinhibition. It would be really hard to "drift" into power, usually one needs to do quite a lot of work to gain it ;)


_________________
Let's not confuse being normal with being mentally healthy.
***** ***


SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Sep 2016
Gender: Male
Posts: 14,690
Location: UK

08 Feb 2019, 12:13 am

RoseThorn13 wrote:

And Bea Arthur, you're starting to really piss me off. I guess you love defending murderers and rapists who feel no remourse about hurting people and you like making their victims feel like they deserved it huh?


You are taking this too personally ( understandable ) and misunderstanding what's being said.

I just read Blooie has already addressed this and better than I did.


_________________
R Tape loading error, 0:1

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard


RoseThorn13
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 3 Feb 2019
Gender: Male
Posts: 140

08 Feb 2019, 12:19 am

SaveFerris wrote:
RoseThorn13 wrote:

And Bea Arthur, you're starting to really piss me off. I guess you love defending murderers and rapists who feel no remourse about hurting people and you like making their victims feel like they deserved it huh?


You are taking this too personally ( understandable ) and misunderstanding what's being said.

Yeah, I get that now.

But I now stand by what I have said. Since we can't lock every psychopath away to prevent them from victimizing people the only way to protect ourselves from dangerous people in this corrupt world is to just not trust anybody.

Aren't epiphanies great?


_________________
Every rose has its thorns


blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Nov 2016
Age: 43
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,160
Location: Sagittarius A

08 Feb 2019, 12:20 am

magz wrote:
blackicmenace wrote:
I was not talking about fight or flight. I have the fight response as well so I can process information under the effects of fear, but we still see the danger. I was under the understanding those of the antisocial variety tend to drift towards positions of power?

Well, maybe it is a kind of fight or fight reaction indeed. I don't feel scared, I just pay attention to see the patterns so I can handle the situation efficiently.
Many antisocials can't climb into positions of power, instead they and up in jail for really stupid crimes caused by their disinhibition. It would be really hard to "drift" into power, usually one needs to do quite a lot of work to gain it ;)

To me, it's like mostly working from instinct. I think less and mostly react to danger giving me the ability to face the danger and do what needs to be done.


_________________
Do not fear to be eccentric in opinion, for every opinion now accepted was once eccentric.” ― Bertrand Russell


SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Sep 2016
Gender: Male
Posts: 14,690
Location: UK

08 Feb 2019, 12:33 am

RoseThorn13 wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
RoseThorn13 wrote:

And Bea Arthur, you're starting to really piss me off. I guess you love defending murderers and rapists who feel no remourse about hurting people and you like making their victims feel like they deserved it huh?


You are taking this too personally ( understandable ) and misunderstanding what's being said.

Yeah, I get that now.

But I now stand by what I have said. Since we can't lock every psychopath away to prevent them from victimizing people the only way to protect ourselves from dangerous people in this corrupt world is to just not trust anybody.

Aren't epiphanies great?


Trust has to be earned. It's not just pyscho's that can't be trusted. Once you have been hurt you tend to set up a big defense wall around yourself and not let anyone in but it's not healthy. I have a distrust for people in general and it doesn't make my life easy. I probably need therapy for it :roll:


_________________
R Tape loading error, 0:1

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard


blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 19 Dec 2017
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Posts: 5,793

11 Feb 2019, 2:49 am

Distrusting people unless they prove they are trustworthy, is smart
I want to be like that


_________________
Take defeat as an urge to greater effort.
-Napoleon Hill


magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jun 2017
Age: 35
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,173
Location: Poland

11 Feb 2019, 5:06 am

blooiejagwa wrote:
Distrusting people unless they prove they are trustworthy, is smart
I want to be like that

I don't really know.
I guess my starting point with people is limited trust.
I assume most people have good intentions – but they are likely stupid, ignorant and inconsiderate, so they can easily mess things up.
Maybe your opinion on people tends to be a self-fullfiling prophecy.


_________________
Let's not confuse being normal with being mentally healthy.
***** ***


blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 19 Dec 2017
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Posts: 5,793

11 Feb 2019, 9:12 am

I don’t think that is true as I Used to hold everyone including openly abusive ppl in high regard n projected the best intentions onto them. Yet the results of so much trust were devastating


_________________
Take defeat as an urge to greater effort.
-Napoleon Hill


Piri Alchami
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

Joined: 27 Jan 2019
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 180
Location: IL

11 Feb 2019, 10:33 am

RightGalaxy wrote:
Piri Alchami wrote:
Though I'm not an expert on the subject, I'm not sure that psychopaths have a totally different CNS. If I recall correctly, only some parts of the brain are "misfiring" and not allowing feeling or affect to arise (or something along those lines).

I have also read that one can feel the presence of someone who lacks empathy. This author of a book on dangerous personalities mentions that it's a feeling of coldness, something about them can make one shudder. The psychopath looks at you as prey, something which considered weak and vulnerable. I suppose it's a look in their eyes, or maybe their entire bearing that betrays them. Yet, they can be glib and sly.

That's about all I recall on the topic.

Finally, I don't think that type of individual is a "jin" or "demon." Embodied evil, maybe, but still very much human and nothing supernatural.


Thanks :) Do you know the author and name of that book you mentioned. I' d like to read it.


I sent you a PM, but I'm unsure if it went through. Please let me know if it did.

I read two books on the topic. The first was a book I read for an English course entitled The Psychopath Test written by Jon Ronson. And the second was Dangerous Personalities by Joe Navarro. Below are the respective links to amazon's pages.

https://www.amazon.com/Psychopath-Test- ... jon+ronson

https://www.amazon.com/Dangerous-Person ... oe+navarro