Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2019, 6:21 pm

I cannot say I have had much experience with that.

I do know however that I am terrible at math, I can't pass remedial math in college with a tutor, I failed twice while meeting with a student tutor(I admit its part of the reason I dropped out). I suspect being allowed to use notes on tests would have helped(seems the difficulty I have is processing it all) but since I don't have a diagnosed learning disability they didn't make exceptions like that for me.

I did just fine with other subjects in school, I found science interesting...but of course if we were doing anything that tied math in(as tends to happen with science) I certainly didn't get the best grades, but I did pass at least.

I wish I was at least sufficient at math it would have prevented me suffering untold hours of straining my brain trying to get the answers, being embarrassed over and over at how bad I was at it and staring at the clock waiting for class to be over while being miserable, growing up. As well as staying after class in middle school to get one on one help from the teacher, to then take a very long bus journey home with all the elementary schoolers not getting home till like 5:30 in the evening. All so I could still continue to completely fail at math.

I recall in 4th grade being taunted repeatedly 'special help, special help...you need special help' because it came to their knowledge I struggled with math and sometimes teachers tried to help.

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2019, 6:29 pm

YES i was so bad at math too n my dad kept telling me i was breaking his heart bcuz math is his beloved subjext n he wd spend ao much time tutoring me n occasionally hired ppl n he was v sad

I was the worst at math worse than the least intelligent students

All my teachers used to be fed up

I wish it were straightforward to say
That ASd makes u bad at mayh- but it doesn’t
Or all ASD females are bad at math - but that isnt true either

The brain is too complicated

that wd make it easier to accept if it were true ‘across the board’

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2019, 6:34 pm

@Sweetleaf & Blooie

I would give up my math abilities any day if it meant being appreciated for anything else. People act as if knowing some math puts one in another social caste.

I'm afraid people think I'm only good for math & forget the rest.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2019, 6:35 pm

I think some of the nicest people I've ever met have been mathematically inclined; it's the rational faculty that leads them to conclude that life is suffering and, thus, to have sympathy for others, or at least this is the way it is for me. I was considered a math genius in high school.

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2019, 6:38 pm

cberg wrote:
@Sweetleaf & Blooie

I would give up my math abilities any day if it meant being appreciated for anything else. People act as if knowing some math puts one in another social caste.

I'm afraid people think I'm only good for math & forget the rest.

Really how is that possible ? I don’t know your specific situation though

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2019, 7:38 pm

Honestly I've been typecast into doing math related stuff much more than practically anything else in my life. People mostly ignore me unless they have a computer question. Even then, they're usually disinterested in my answer or simply don't appreciate the effort because some of us supposedly make things look too easy.

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2019, 7:47 pm

Ohh my brother told me his friend that he met works at an IT department at a bank
n they are mistreated n treated like unnecessary burdens even though the bank stuff would not run without them
I see what u meAn my brother also pointed out that the TV show THe IT crowd shows how this bias and rudeness is towRds IT ppl

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2019, 7:53 pm

Knowing what I know has gotten me treated worse than most dogs.

The IT people at my office's helpdesk can't even be approached. They demand an email ahead of time.

Were they not so understaffed, I'd be pissed at them too for all the neglect of our Windows systems.

We all have to learn things we think we're no good at. If I treated socialization the way everyone around me treats math & code, they would've either jailed or killed me years ago.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2019, 9:34 pm

Ive known exactly one person like that.

An old guy on a certain social website I used to go to. An engineer, and Brainiac. But a bitter hate filled bigoted old guy. But he was good at math.

But my cousin and uncle (both physicists) and grandad (an accountant/farmer) were all perfectly nice despite being mathletic enough to do their respective professions.