Any Aspie women here who enjoy going to sporting events?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

SportsGamer35728
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Feb 2019, 3:23 pm

Considering Aspie women tend to be more overwhelmed by loud noises and flashing lights than men, I'm curious if any women here with AS enjoy going to sporting events. Anyone?

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2019, 4:52 pm

I've never been to one but I would love to go to a tennis tournament one day.

graceksjp
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2019, 5:03 pm

Depends on the sport. I can happily walk around a horse show all day. I love dance, gymnastics, and ice skating too. Most of those are pretty chill when it comes to noise and lights tho.
I have a personal interest in lacrosse, so I enjoy watching that. I can usually do football and baseball fine. Football for my school and baseball for my brothers. Ive been to a few UGA games and not been bothered. Tennis and soccer are ok but not terribly enjoyable for me. Just not a fan. My family does tennis tho and Ive sat and watched a few without problem.

Basketball- I cant do. Not sure why, but it was this big deal when I was a kid. My parents tried taking me to our high schools basketball games and I freaked out so badly my mom had to take me outside. I think its got to do with the fact thats its bleachers, not seats. Also the amount of noise and its inside and I cant be sure but it just didnt work. Thats probably the sport with the most noise and lights though so....

TUF
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2019, 5:10 pm

You're right it's the light show putting me off. (If you want to read more off my rants read them in the UK thread, it's an ongoing struggle...)

I used to go to Celtic matches whenever I could afford it.

(Soccer matches in Glasgow)

They've decided it's a good idea to put in a light show which seems to be every match now...

I'm still going to certain away matches (friendlies) but it's not the same as actually going to my own club's home matches.

It didn't used to be a problem at all. I don't like crowded places but that's mostly because the crowd is a big jumble of people walking haphazardly, football crowds aren't like that. It was never too loud for me. Sometimes too quiet but only in a social way an NT would whinge at it (Mowbray era, I was the only one singing in the whole section, I will never understand Scots and Irish people who go to football and don't sing as it's the culture). The food is the sort of bog standard stuff I love as someone who's taste sensitive.

It's literally just this season's light shows.

They'd rather take the loss of income and loss of reputation from me for this than get rid of the light shows or provide clear enough information about them that I can make my own mind up.

SportsGamer35728
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Feb 2019, 8:44 pm

TUF wrote:
You're right it's the light show putting me off. (If you want to read more off my rants read them in the UK thread, it's an ongoing struggle...)

They've decided it's a good idea to put in a light show which seems to be every match now...

I'm still going to certain away matches (friendlies) but it's not the same as actually going to my own club's home matches.

It didn't used to be a problem at all. I don't like crowded places but that's mostly because the crowd is a big jumble of people walking haphazardly, football crowds aren't like that. It was never too loud for me. Sometimes too quiet but only in a social way an NT would whinge at it (Mowbray era, I was the only one singing in the whole section, I will never understand Scots and Irish people who go to football and don't sing as it's the culture). The food is the sort of bog standard stuff I love as someone who's taste sensitive.

They'd rather take the loss of income and loss of reputation from me for this than get rid of the light shows or provide clear enough information about them that I can make my own mind up.

Sorry to hear that :/ NHL games and Major League Soccer games would be a nightmare for you with the loud celebration horn they play after goals at NHL games (Columbus Blue Jackets also shoot a cannon) and the fireworks they shoot off after goals at MLS matches :P

SportsGamer35728
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Feb 2019, 8:48 pm

graceksjp wrote:
I love dance, gymnastics, and ice skating too. Most of those are pretty chill when it comes to noise and lights tho.

I just went to my first (Division III) college gymnastics meet last Saturday and loved it! From what I've seen on TV some of the Division I schools (particularly UCLA and the SEC) use lights, smoke, and flamethrowers when introducing the gymnasts so that might startle you :P

@IstominFan I'd love to go to a pro tennis or golf event too :) I've seen Arthur Ashe Stadium (where they have the US Open) and met golf legend Jack Nicklaus on my birthday last year 8)

TUF
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2019, 8:10 pm

SportsGamer35728 wrote:
TUF wrote:

Sorry to hear that :/ NHL games and Major League Soccer games would be a nightmare for you with the loud celebration horn they play after goals at NHL games (Columbus Blue Jackets also shoot a cannon) and the fireworks they shoot off after goals at MLS matches :P

I'm ok with the noise (physically, I'm not morally ok with it because I know it can cause people a lot of pain) it's just the light :(

It's so horrible isn't it?

And they spend ages moaning about 'getting autistic kids into sport'. Well maybe if autistic people could actually watch the matches, we'd want to play it after. They won't get people with light or sound sensitivities playing professionally if they have fireworks, light shows etc.

They're the same about flares and the physical damage it can do to lungs, actually.

karathraceandherspecialdestiny
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2019, 10:45 pm

I've been to lots of baseball, volleyball, and hockey games.

graceksjp
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2019, 8:28 pm

SportsGamer35728 wrote:
graceksjp wrote:
I love dance, gymnastics, and ice skating too. Most of those are pretty chill when it comes to noise and lights tho.

I just went to my first (Division III) college gymnastics meet last Saturday and loved it! From what I've seen on TV some of the Division I schools (particularly UCLA and the SEC) use lights, smoke, and flamethrowers when introducing the gymnasts so that might startle you :P

@IstominFan I'd love to go to a pro tennis or golf event too :) I've seen Arthur Ashe Stadium (where they have the US Open) and met golf legend Jack Nicklaus on my birthday last year 8)

Ya know, I dont think light bothers me. The cool lightshow at Nationals certainly didnt. (it was EPIC and AWESOME lol) And I can watch fireworks if Im far enough away not to hear them too loudly. I actually think I quite enjoy elaborate light shows and such.

SportsGamer35728
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Feb 2019, 7:44 am

I'm also quite curious as to what the experiences of the female Aspies on here were with the cheerleaders in their high school. I was fortunate enough to be very good friends with the ones at mine, although I feel as if it gave me unrealistic expectations in my dating life, as I'm now particularly attracted to cheerleaders/female athletes instead of the "plain Janes" that I'd probably be more compatible with interest-wise :P

kdm1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Feb 2019, 9:21 am

Yes! I love basketball, and I've attended several NBA games in the past with my family.