Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2019, 1:02 pm

Two years after my autism diagnosis in 2015, I was diagnosed with the combined presentation of ADHD at the grand age of 27.

After experiencing initial benefits on low doses of ritalin (my 5-10mg), I now become extremely tired and rather 'foggy' within an hour of administering the same dose.

I suspect it's one of the following:

(a) tolerance
(b) the dose is too low
(c) it's time for me to try a different medication
(d) I should stop taking medication altogether

Unfortunately I fear (d) would be a terrible outcome as I find it greatly difficult to function off medication.

If anyone on here with ADHD has had similar difficulties, I'd love to know what your eventual solution was.

Thanks. :)

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2019, 1:25 pm

As a student in junior high school and high school, I suffered from ADHD. At the time 60 years ago, there was no diagnosis for ADHD and I was never prescribed drugs for the condition. Which was probably a good thing. I often daydreamed in class. It is a form of mild disassociation. It is a type of separation of body and mind. It is a very useful tool for an Aspie. As I evolved I learned a different type of disassociation. It is the ability to separate my analytical brain from my emotional brain. So as I undergo extreme stress which would normally lead to a meltdown, panic attack or tonic immobility; instead I disassociate my emotional brain from my analytical brain. I no longer feel fear, anger, hatred. Those feelings are shut off temporarily. Instead I spin up my analytical brain and look for the best solution and then immediately implement that decision. As a result I avoid ever being traumatized. It also makes me somewhat fearless and that is a very good thing for an Aspie.

rcsf
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 May 2019, 10:42 pm

I have similar experiences as yours. I have started taking Ritalin (methylphenidate) a few months ago, and I seem to be very sensitive to it. If I take a small as 10mg dose, I get my thinking slowed down in a very strange way, with heavy brain fog and apathy (zombie-like), maybe dysphoria and some palpitations. As opposite to that, if I take a half of the pill (5mg), I feel really great, calmed, very focused and get things done, all so clear. Never gone upper than that although.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2019, 7:05 am

I have taken dexamphetamine since 2004 with a small break since then to try Ritalin. Within a month I was back on dexamphetamine as Ritalin made me feel very spacey and not all there. I want clarity of mind but Ritalin made me have the opposite.

So yeah, maybe you could try a different medication. Depending on where you are, there are a number of choices.