Page 3 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2019, 1:25 pm

livingwithautism wrote:
DanielW wrote:
livingwithautism wrote:
I have ABA therapy and my therapists are gentle and kind. They don’t ask me to make eye contact or stop stimming or otherwise make me NT. They teach me life skills and help me become more independent.

Then you did you ask if anyone here didn't hate it?

I'm glad it works for you

How many people who have actually had ABA hate it? The point of this thread was to establish a theory of mine that many people on here who hate ABA have never actually had it.

It is important to say that not all things that call themselves ABA are in fact ABA. A lot of places call themselves ABA to get covered by insurance. And when someone had a good experience going through it, that is most commonly the case.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2019, 1:33 pm

Arganger wrote:
livingwithautism wrote:
DanielW wrote:
livingwithautism wrote:
I have ABA therapy and my therapists are gentle and kind. They don’t ask me to make eye contact or stop stimming or otherwise make me NT. They teach me life skills and help me become more independent.

Then you did you ask if anyone here didn't hate it?

I'm glad it works for you

How many people who have actually had ABA hate it? The point of this thread was to establish a theory of mine that many people on here who hate ABA have never actually had it.

It is important to say that not all things that call themselves ABA are in fact ABA. A lot of places call themselves ABA to get covered by insurance. And when someone had a good experience going through it, that is most commonly the case.

No they really are doing ABA therapy. Probably they treat adults different than kids.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2019, 7:37 pm

I think like League Girl said, it depends on the therapist. But I hope that therapists are now learning that there are reasons why we do everything that we do and that simply trying to change behaviors without understand why we do what we do is not a good thing.

Wreck It Ralph