Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

fifasy
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2019, 12:24 pm

Radiant64 wrote:
Thanks for all the welcomes!

fifasy wrote:
Hang on a minute. I thought Sweden was cloudy?

It is! At least a lot of the time during this season. It was mostly intended as a humorous adaption of the classic postcard text.

Being this far up north you pretty much get a light half of the year and a dark half. At the moment we're transitioning from dark to sunny, but it's still some way to go. At its darkest we have maybe 5–6 hours of daylight per day, while in the middle of the summer it's pretty much dark just for a couple of hours during the night. In the north of Sweden they have the famous "midnight sun", where in the summer the sun never sets, but I've not experienced that myself.

In general I think the common preconception about weather and climate in Sweden holds rather true during the winter half of the year, whereas the summer is warmer and sunnier than most associate with this latitude. Given that I dislike snow and cold weather I wish proper summer was a bit longer than the two months we typically get, though...

You're a beautiful person. Bless you. :) I wish I had as much as a heart as you. :heart:

laticiagibson
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Feb 2019, 4:09 am

hello there

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2019, 4:15 am

laticiagibson wrote:
hello there

Welcome from a fellow Houstonian!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

TUF
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2019, 1:37 pm

Radiant64 wrote:
TUF wrote:
I really like Sweden for the footballers and the music.

Interesting! Any music in particular?

Regarding football it's one of the few sports I can muster much interest for, but usually only to a degree where I follow the major international championships, and I've pretty much given up on Sweden's national team though there have been moments of greatness (1994 and ~2003 spring to mind). Nowadays I tend to just enjoy the game, whenever I'm watching, regardless of what sides are playing.

TUF wrote:
There are a lot of aspies in computing but you probably already know that.

Kinda noticed. :wink: I always thought it was a bit funny that I got along so well with the autists despite not being one myself...

TUF wrote:
Nice to meet an aspie with eclectic interests. :)

Thanks, it feels nice to be welcomed! I've given this some thought, and I think I'm simply very enthusiastic about theoretical knowledge in general. Growing up I was always the type of kid who read encyclopedias for fun. That combined with a general interest in invention and creating things has landed me in a situation where I typically pick up a couple of new obsessive interests/hobbies per year. I never feel as alive as when I'm opening up new cognitive pathways.

That's a good attitude to learning :)

We probably have a lot of footballers in common. Growing up some of my heroes were Larsson and Mjallby.

It turns out a lot of my more embarrassing tastes are Danish (I didn't research that properly, just knew they were Scandinavian, realising now I sound rude for assuming that Scandinavian and Swedish were always the same, sorry).

Less embarrassing is I like ABBA a lot and grew up listening to them.

I follow Ireland internationally, which will surprise people on here because everyone thinks I'm massively Scottish. But a lot less than in that similar sort of era, it's hard to support teams which are underperforming.

askar
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Feb 2019, 4:16 pm

I heard sun there sets down at 3:00 pm .. is that why eveeyones blond/e there

MannyBoo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2019, 10:34 am

Hello welcome here.

btw, when Sweden people hear Norwegian and Danish languages, how much can you understand them? Can Nordic people talk to each other using just their one language?

Radiant64
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Feb 2019, 12:02 pm

Hi, sorry, haven't had time to be here really; stressful period at work + parenting + a thousand and one hobby projects stole my attention.

magz wrote:
Can you arrange some from-here-to-there timetables, so you and your wife can take turns and have your own time?
A lot depends on her and on communication between you two. She may actually know that you need your time out to keep yourself sane.

My wife has been fantastic and put up with a lot of my rather cumbersome needs, to the point where she pretty much hasn't had any time at all on her own. So yeah, the "taking turns" thing sounds like something to give a try! Once I've found my feet again, figuratively.

Radiant64
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Feb 2019, 12:42 pm

TUF wrote:
We probably have a lot of footballers in common. Growing up some of my heroes were Larsson and Mjallby.

Ah, yeah, those are familiar. :-) Haven't been keeping up since around that time though.

TUF wrote:
It turns out a lot of my more embarrassing tastes are Danish (I didn't research that properly, just knew they were Scandinavian, realising now I sound rude for assuming that Scandinavian and Swedish were always the same, sorry).

Hehe, I think the Danes are probably the ones offended. We do have a reputation as being rather arrogant towards the other Nordic countries; assumptions like that only serve to bolster our case. ;-)

TUF wrote:
Less embarrassing is I like ABBA a lot and grew up listening to them.

I think they're probably more popular abroad than in Sweden actually, though they're still regarded as something of a natural treasure.

Radiant64
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Feb 2019, 12:46 pm

fifasy wrote:
You're a beautiful person. Bless you. :) I wish I had as much as a heart as you. :heart:

Thank you, though I have to concede what you wrote sounds like a rather heartful thing to say to a person indeed!

Radiant64
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Feb 2019, 12:57 pm

MannyBoo wrote:
btw, when Sweden people hear Norwegian and Danish languages, how much can you understand them? Can Nordic people talk to each other using just their one language?

"It depends". Swedes have a little harder time understanding the others, possibly because we are less exposed to their languages in general, being more populous, but typically Swedes and Norwegians are able to speak in our native languages with a little extra effort. Dialects matter a lot; typically I have no problems understanding a Norwegian from the Oslo area for example, whereas I struggle to make sense of anything someone from around Bergen is saying.

Danish is a different matter, and although our languages are rather similar when written I resort to English when conversing with a Dane in person, since there is very little chance I'll understand anything at all in Danish unless they are making a huge effort of slowing down and articulating clearly... They have a way of speaking where they swallow a lot of syllables more or less completely, and they pronounce consonants more subtly than Swedes and Norwegians as well. I think they don't have an as hard time understanding us and the Norwegians as we do them, though.

zcientist
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Feb 2019, 2:48 pm

Pretty cool room you've set aside for yourself with the music studio, electronics lab, etc. Welcome to WP.