I feel less anxious indoors 6%  6%  [ 3 ]
I feel about the same indoors and outdoors 8%  8%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 50

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2019, 1:43 pm

The Grand Inquisitor wrote:
For the most part I don't consider myself an anxious person. As a child and young teenager I was but not really now. To answer your question, I prefer being indoors, and will generally only venture outdoors when there is a purpose for it, not just to be outdoors.

Case in point. Some people just like being indoors. This is ok too.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2019, 2:31 pm

Nature is where I'm most at peace. There's nothing better than heading off into the mountains with an overnight pack, and sitting by a blazing fire.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

NotQuiteHuman
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Feb 2019, 9:14 pm

If I could, I'd live like a caveman. I love observing animals, classifying them, listening to the sounds they make and why they make them. Same with observing the different kinds of plants, and even natural features like mountains, sand dunes, rivers. I always have an itch to just go out to a natural area and start sprinting. I also have a sort of drive to stalk and ambush animals. The sound of birds singing and a river flowing make me experience a kind of ecstasy. I'd rather be naked in the wild than clothed in the city. Why do we even wear clothes in hot places like south Florida (where I used to live) anyways? :lol:

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2019, 10:29 am

It's anti-anxiolytic, anti-depressant, mind-fog dispersant, and melt-down calmer all in one. And the bits without people-boxes are so pretty! :D

If I get to the point of having a full-on melt-down (very rarely, thankfully), I'm liable to run away. I also can't communicate with anyone; and they're not people anyway, they are just obstacles to be got out of the way. As far as I can tell, there is no specific place that I'm trying to reach, no logic to the direction I run off in, and I rarely have any memory at all of the journey.

If I have been able to get outside, then when I come around, I will nearly always find myself surrounded by greenery, usually lots of trees, and often near to running water (otherwise check the cupboards and under the tables.) Even with my conscious awareness totally blank, I'm drawn to nature.

I would be far more of a mess than I am without access to the countryside. It doesn't have to be spectacular jagged peaks, golden beaches, or anything special like that - just peaceful and accessible; an old spoil tip that's grown over with a few trees dotted about is just fine. I've sacrificed many other things over the years so that I can live with the countryside on my door-step (just about possible in the county I live in). A commute of a few miles on foot is fine by me if I have a job, in order to avoid using buses. If I end up stopping out late at a friend's house, I think nothing of walking four or five miles home across countryside in the dark or in foul weather (and sometimes rather tipsy) - Get a taxi? What, go inside a small metal box with a complete stranger? On my own? Are you kidding me?