I feel less anxious indoors 6%  6%  [ 3 ]
I feel about the same indoors and outdoors 8%  8%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 50

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2019, 8:20 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Manmade environments, like shopping malls, are designed to bludgeon your senses. So if you're an autistic prone to sensory overload its good to go on into the woods- where the flora and fauna are "designed" to blend in, and you're forced to use your senses (like your stone age ancestors) to see things like distinguish an osprey from a turkey buzzard, in the distant sky, or noticed how a stream has been re engineered by beavers..

I never thought of the two quite like this. You're right.

caThar4G
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2019, 9:24 am

I'm pleasantly surprised that alot of people feel the same way about being outside.

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2019, 9:03 pm

caThar4G wrote:
I'm pleasantly surprised that alot of people feel the same way about being outside.

It's a rather staggering result, isn't it?

graceksjp
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2019, 9:28 pm

I love being outdoors! Hiking, fishing, nature walks, National Parks, trails and waterfalls etc etc. Im a photographer and so is my brother and mother to an extent. My brother loves hiking, so we'll grab our cameras and go camp out somewhere for some great shots. I like herping too which my brother is less inclined to enjoy :mrgreen:
I grew up on a private lake with a good stretch of woods in the backyard so Im used to escaping the house to the "outdoors". My family also owns a little cabin in the mountains of North Carolina that we've been going to since I was less than 2 years old. I think thats part of why I love the mountains so much.
Ironically though, Im not a huge beach fan. We own a a couple beach houses because its my mothers favorite place on earth. (lol makes sense now why i dont like it :lol:) Ive been on catamaran trips, gone to the Caribbean, and Ive done all the cool water activities you can do. And they're fun...but I just dont really like the ocean that much. Not like the mountains. Although I'll admit, the photography opportunities are still great. Nothing like a sunset over the water :heart:
I also enjoy several outdoor sports. My greatest passion in life is horse back riding so if that counts as outdoors than I love outdoors for sure!

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 1:59 am

Oh, yes, the majority of outdoors is over water. I was in the boat business, and I am convinced that one of our remote ancestors had their fear of water flipped in a genetic accident. Boats are basically a dreadful environment made tolerable by that odd madness. It would have died out, except that sailors colonized the earth.
Outdoor activities can include some major physical thrills, and these can kick-start very strong life-affirming patterns of thought. Our body is always keen to survive, which can really cut through the ennui of indoor life.
When I moved here, I enjoyed walking along the local creek, but now it looks like a mine site. Some people wanted to develop an alternative park on the far side of the industrial zone, and started by cutting down the trees. <sigh> OTOH, cities with old sections built for pedestrians and horses can be dotted with small parks with mature trees and be quite pleasant. Cities built for cars are quite ghastly for walking.

Alterity
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 2:22 am

It depends if people are around. Am I outdoors near neighbors? In a city? In the woods? A barnyard? If there's people around or a large potential for someone to pop up then no I would rather not be outside. But if it's somewhat secluded then yes. Actually, rather than calming I would say it's rejuvenating

wrongcitizen
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 2:29 am

Yes but I feel the best when I don't have to interact with people. The "have" part is important. If I can interact at will then I usually do fine, regardless of whether I'm indoors or outdoors.

If its a choice between where I would spend most of my time (currently it's dusty indoor spaces and I have no choice) then I'd probably pick outdoors. Better for your health, you move around more, you have lots of space, its easier to breath, less anxiety, and if it's some private piece of land it can have many of the benefits of "indoors".

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 3:23 pm

The outdoors are a calming experience esp. considering I live near a quiet CA State Park by the Pacific Ocean; that is "Zen like" experiences are common at this park.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 4:03 pm

Outdoors to me in this context is out in nature, a mix of forest and lakelands, away from man made noises and textures. Its soothing for my senses
Love to touch everything especially trees and leaves... Earthy smells especially on a warm day after rain
The wind making light patterns on a forest floor, or the swaying green stained glass effect when looking up, i love illuminated spring leaves in particular, i could watch them for hours.
The sound of the wind, moving leaves of different shapes, its bliss to my ears.
Walking over uneven surfaces with different textures, mud, grass, going off track feels just right. Add in a stream, river or lake and i would happily never leave, there is one very special hilly forest that meets the atlantic in a bay... mind blown, every time.

adoylelb90815
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Feb 2019, 1:01 am

I love being outdoors, even if it's just a local park. One of my favorite places is the beach as I love to listen to the waves as they crash along the shore, and there's often nothing like a sunset over the water.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2019, 1:32 am

22°C in a calm quiet forest then yes I will find it calming.

SoapOnARope
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Feb 2019, 4:52 pm

I don't mind being outside in public spaces with other people, I do find "people watching" quite fascinating, seeing how others act, interact, move etc - but I live in a mid-size town surrounded by lots of fields and open space. It's not something I'd want to do in a city or large town.

However, take me away from it all and put me in a forest or on top of a mountain and it'd be bliss. As others have said, it's the interaction with nature and the things you can tune into; the sound of animals, water, the smell and feel of the air. You can feel it, see it and hear it all as there is a lot less intrusion from man-made input which is almost always louder, brighter, and smellier (designed to catch our attention).

Interestingly though I'm not a big fan of water. I enjoy streams, babbling brooks and the like but I don't like open water (hate the sea), lakes and fast running/wide/noisy rivers. They scare the hell out of me. I don't even like boats. It's the not knowing what is around and under me and the total lack of control of myself in that environment - I'm not a fish, I don't have flippers and I can't breathe in water so I don't really want to be there! Happy to float about in a swimming pool though :D

RDOS:
Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 151/200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 59/200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2019, 7:42 pm

I find nature and the outdoors to be very calming and relaxing. It must be a Sweet Pea thing.

Kerguelia
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 Feb 2019, 11:58 pm

I think most people do like the outdoors to some extent. I know my number one way to relieve worries is to go out and walk for a bit. "Fish aren't meant to be kept in a box, kid...it does things to you."

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2019, 2:58 am

Kerguelia wrote:
I think most people do like the outdoors to some extent. I know my number one way to relieve worries is to go out and walk for a bit. "Fish aren't meant to be kept in a box, kid...it does things to you."

That's why I can't relate to the people who want to go to Mars. It is bad enough knowing that one is dependent on technology to avoid freezing slowly. A colder place without air and water handy would scare me.

The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2019, 5:52 am

For the most part I don't consider myself an anxious person. As a child and young teenager I was but not really now. To answer your question, I prefer being indoors, and will generally only venture outdoors when there is a purpose for it, not just to be outdoors.