Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Zillachan
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Feb 2019, 4:02 pm

Hi everyone! Im currently in my first trimester as a first time mom and have noticed i feel more autistic than usual if that makes any sense? I feel more isolated in my feelings, am nearly unable to eat anything other than cream of wheat, and i dont know if what im feeling is pregnancy related or if aspergers/autisric traits can be exacerbated during pregnancy.

My Partner has teased me about eating the same meal out of the same bowl with the same utensil.
Does anyone have any stories to share? :(

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2019, 5:24 am

Well, it was a while ago for me, and all I can remember from the first trimester was feeling really tired.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

11 Feb 2019, 5:36 am

Changes in tastes and being more restrictive with food is typical in first trimester.
In my first pregnancy, I had also very strong reaction to smells and chemicals on my skin, I needed to change all the chemicals at home to some hipster eco stuff with no fragrance and simple ingredients. This was also the time when I changed all my socks to delicate socks for diabetes. I'm not diabetic but I hate the feeling of sock rubber!
I couldn't ride bike because my stomach got instantly upset.
I threw up almost every day.

I can't say if I was "more autistic". I wasn't aware autism had anything to do with me back then. I was just out of a major depression and I believed I needed a lot of rest and being left alone, which I fortunately got.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

plokijuh
Toucan
Toucan

13 Feb 2019, 4:30 am

My symptoms have been more prominent since my first pregnancy (although I wasn't aware it was asd that whole time, I've only been diagnosed a year abs a bit). I think it's due to the additional stresses, extra hormones and less sleep.

I found pregnancy quite challenging.

AQ: 42 (Scores in the 33-50 range indicate significant Austistic traits)
RAADS-R: 165
RDOS: Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 159 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 44 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 10:29 am

Since this was your first post - Welcome to Wrong Planet.

During the first trimeter, it is common to have problems keeping down food. Vomiting a meal is a common sign of pregnancy. Later it is common to experience rather strange cravings like eating pickle ice cream.

As far as an Aspie pregnancy, many negative feelings are driven by stress. Pregnancy and early motherhood can produce an increase in stress levels. So rest the best you can to recover.

PoseyBuster88
Toucan
Toucan

17 Mar 2019, 11:24 pm

I am not diagnosed, and not sure if I am ASD or just have some traits. Anyway, for what it is worth I pretty much only ate baked potatoes my first trimester, and was very sensitive to fabrics my entire pregnancy. I hated wool and even slightly scratchy fabrics, when normally those hadn't been huge issues for me. My eating went back to normal after about 4 months pregnant. The fabric thing stayed until the end of my pregnancy...and honestly, I still avoid my old wool socks unless they are the only clean ones left.

Navya_Sharma
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Jun 2019, 12:30 am

After the implantation, hCG (Human chorionic gonadotropin) hormone production starts inside the body. It is the main factor that gives the positivity of the pregnancy test. Due to the change in hormone mood swings occurs which may cause depression, can make feel emotional, angry, sometimes happy and insecure at the same time. By this time, you must become sure about your pregnancy and started to have morning sickness. You may be developing a strong craving for ice-creams, pickles or some other foods. But be careful about the eating plan provided by the dietician. One more thing that must be kept in mind is that you must eat more to get extra calories.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2019, 3:23 am

With my first I just wanted to eat vegetables. My second baby made me want to eat meat and chocolate. They were equally plump when they were born. Guess who's skinny and who's fat now? :D

martianprincess
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2019, 7:52 pm

Absolutely, pregnancy exacerbated all of my sensory issues and I was extremely sick. It was mostly hell. I actually suspected I was pregnant because the sound of the turn signal in my car made me feel rage, when usually it was just kind of annoying. I also cried when I didn't think I could get Chinese food delivered to me... which was weird to me because normally I don't care about food much.

There are enjoyable things about it though. I felt adorable; I've never had such a high self-esteem about how I looked in all my life. It was also nice to have something to connect with people about, since I have such a difficult time with that. Food tasted the best it's ever tasted too!

I also want to mention postpartum might be difficult too, but I am not trying to scare you - I just want to warn you so you can mentally prepare yourself better for it.

I like wild orchids and neighbors with wide orbits

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2019, 6:44 pm

I realise this thread is a little older now ... best wishes to Zillachan ... soon you’ll be holding your baby. When I was pregnant, I had severe hyperemesis gravidarum, 24 hr morning sickness. It was worse with each pregnancy. I needed to be rehydrated as I couldn’t even keep water down. Thing was, no-one ever told me what I had. I only discovered it had a name after eventually recovering from the third nightmare pregnancy. In all cases, I was over the moon and completely thrilled to be a mother, no feelings of depression whatsoever. I worked with babies(nursery nurse) for quite a part of my life. I hope it’s all going well now for you, and yes, I definitely was experiencing heightened sensitivity to pretty much everything. It felt amazing, like I was back in the land of the living and able to eat again, once I’d safely delivered.

FitEyes
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Feb 2020, 10:39 am

Throughout pregnancy, the intake of calories in a pregnant woman increases. Her calorie consumption rises for the most pregnant women just a few hundred calories a day.
When a mother carries just one baby, typical weight gains are significantly dependent on pregnancy and other factors. It is recommended that an overweight pregnant female benefits the most, whilst an overweight female will gain the least.
A woman's body consumes iron more quickly, and when she is pregnant the amount of the blood increases so that she has to ingest more iron to ensure she and her baby have a sufficient supply of oxygen.