Page 3 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Do you feel you at higher risk of homelessness as an autistic person?
No, it is has never occurred to me 7%  7%  [ 4 ]
No, I feel that I will always have people to take care of me 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
No, i am capable of taking care of myself 17%  17%  [ 10 ]
Yes, I am terrified of being homeless 55%  55%  [ 32 ]
Yes, but I would not mind being homeless as long as I could still focus on my special interest 7%  7%  [ 4 ]
Yes with a mixture of both the fourth and fifth option 10%  10%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 58

TazCrystal
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 May 2019, 8:49 pm

I'm worried about it. I have struggles with holding a job. I also have struggles with mental health. I live at a group home right now. I probably won't have to live alone for a while

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2019, 3:47 am

It’s my only future. Nog gf, means no one to care for me, no kids to care for me when I, old. I have no family besides mom and sister.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2019, 7:32 am

I know what you mean.

My wife is 12 years older than me. And I have no kids.

I’m pretty much all alone in my old age.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2019, 7:36 am

I worry about my son in this regard sometimes. My large family has gotten smaller and smaller with each generation. There won’t be much help there for him if he needs it.

TidyUn
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 May 2019, 2:36 am

I worry about it sometimes.

I'm attending a medical transcription school, and I'm going to attend a community college in three more months. I think I'm heading in the right direction, but I have such a low self-esteem that makes me think I'm going to fail school. I feel like I'm learning, though.

EDIT: I'm confident that I have the ability to take care of myself.

Joao
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 May 2019, 1:28 pm

I did go semi-homeless for a while. 2 years or thereabouts in the late-90's. I always had a hard time with any form of paperwork, including paying bills. Got evicted for non-payment even though I had the money in the bank. Luckily at work I had my own little office, with a couch in it. My sister let me crash in her spare room whenever I needed to, but I hated the 2-hour commute each way. So mostly I lived in my office. Kept a suitcase of clothes under the couch. In the mornings I would get-up extra early so nobody would catch me there, head over to the YMCA a couple of blocks away, shower, then come in just as the first few people were arriving. They would often comment how I was always the first one to arrive, and last one to leave! ;)

EDIT: Nowadays I have automatic payment for all my bills. Haven't written a check in eons.

MindWithoutWalls
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2019, 5:04 pm

I'm terrified of both being homeless and being abused in whatever home I might have when I get older. I'm 51 as of this posting, and I have a history of having been abused by various people in my childhood and early adulthood. I'm also Trans, and I have fibromyalgia and PTSD. The more marginalized groups a person belongs to, the greater the possibility of experiencing things like homelessness and abuse. So, being both disabled (especially cognitively) and gender variant really doesn't help my situation any.

My therapist agrees with me that probably most Autistics who don't have really progressive parents and circumstances growing up likely have PTSD. I think Gaslighting is probably a serious part of the cause that, so it's hard to be trusting about the future, especially knowing I have as much difficulty as I do figuring out social stuff, communicating clearly when something is wrong, and having the confidence to know when something is wrong so I can try to stand up for myself at all.

My life is very good right now, but I'm always afraid things will change and rip this from me, sending me back into the world of pain and confusion inflicted upon me in the past, even though it's been years since I suffered so horribly. The bad old days were what I knew as normal for so long, and I fear once again being told bad things that people do on purpose aren't really happening / are by accident / aren't that bad / are my fault and therefore can't be avoided and/or are deserved. Now that I know this fear is a result of gaslighting and is part of my PTSD, I think I'm on my way to keeping myself more balanced and preventing spiraling so far down into negative thinking. But I still know I have a very realistic fear of the future concerning this, and I don't know what I can do to prevent it. It's hard to find the line between what's reasonable and what isn't regarding this, and the lack of clarity really doesn't help. Also, not knowing how to plan effectively makes it hard to let go and think about other things.

Loitering is encouraged at The Wayshelter: http://wayshelter.com

languagehopper
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Jul 2019, 2:46 am

This is my biggest fear and I am fairly certain it will come to it one day both as I live with my mother who doesn't like me at all and could kick me out at any time, and because I have no way to make money and won't be able to afford or cope with finding somewhere to live by myself. I can't even face the benefits system. She lets me live here but has never made me feel welcome or wanted. In a way it would be a relief to be homeless as getting away from her would be wonderful but my son is having enough problems already and I would then be vulnerable to attention from other people and have nothing to eat and be so cold in the winter. It is a case of better the devil you know.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2019, 1:18 pm

Without my parents I'd be homeless, for certain. :oops:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う