Japan managed to win its war on drugs. Why can't we?

Page 5 of 12 [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 5:54 pm

You clearly have no idea what Marijuana prohibition is. It began as a Jim Crow law that was disproportionately applied to African Americans.

You say I'm spreading cancer? My mom is a cancer researcher & she favors legalization because cannabidiol saves lives. I wouldn't be alive to write this had I not been introduced to medical Marijuana.

I think you just don't care about others cancer nor seizures, PTSD, neuropathy, or pretty much any chronic pain conditions.

The fact that you mentioned cancer as a casual bit of slang says a lot about you. Bye.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 5:55 pm

I'm a pothead & I test the browser you're using to insult me. You're welcome for the quality code.

Crimadella
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 5:56 pm

JohnPowell wrote:
cberg wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:
I find it outrageous that a lot of staunch opponents of freedom of speech and expression make an argument that people should be free to do what they want when it comes to cannabis when that actually does affect others.

Plainly none of you seem to care about cancer therapy, little kids' seizures or even your seniors' ailments.

This thread is disgusting & bigoted. If you're going to drag me through the mud for smoking, say it to my face & prepare for no drama whatsoever.

What the f**k are you talking about? Get a grip, your post is the definition of bigotry. Don't start bringing in cancer as propaganda, that's disgusting. No one said a word to you so drop your phony outrage.

The plan from the beggining was to use the medicinal argument to eventually legalise the drug.

It has been proven to have medical use, a lot of medical uses. I give my dog CBD to reduce tumor growth. Smoking weed is not 'harmful to everyone'. It becomes a real issue when people start dictating what another chooses to do with there own body. Perhaps we should ban sugar, coffee, tobacco, sports, cars and on and on.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 5:56 pm

Wake up. There is no such thing as a good war.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 6:00 pm

OP strikes me as squeamish & paranoid. Pretty commonplace THC side effects, ironically enough.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 6:22 pm

Some of the best reasons for marijuana prohibition:

- Hemp makes cheaper paper than forestry and thus it would hurt the forestry business.
- It's associated with interracial relationships which were illegal when it was banned, ie. it promotes unlawful behavior.
- It's something people tend to do who don't fit in, and if you don't fit in or find yourself in social or financial hardship you shouldn't have any way around that but to either suffer or fix up whatever's causing you to not fit in. Even if getting high doesn't do brain damage it's pleasure not given as a societal reward and thus is sinful. Also if it helps your ADD or or other issues there are clean, socially achieved, post-grad educated men and women who can prescribe you pills for such things - pills that are socially sanctioned rather than pot which is tabooed.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 6:26 pm

JohnPowell wrote:
I find it outrageous that a lot of staunch opponents of freedom of speech and expression make an argument that people should be free to do what they want when it comes to cannabis when that actually does affect others.

Stop slandering the left by suggesting we are against free speech. I support the first amendment more than Trump does.

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 8:18 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Some of the best reasons for marijuana prohibition:

- Hemp makes cheaper paper than forestry and thus it would hurt the forestry business.
- It's associated with interracial relationships which were illegal when it was banned, ie. it promotes unlawful behavior.
- It's something people tend to do who don't fit in, and if you don't fit in or find yourself in social or financial hardship you shouldn't have any way around that but to either suffer or fix up whatever's causing you to not fit in. Even if getting high doesn't do brain damage it's pleasure not given as a societal reward and thus is sinful. Also if it helps your ADD or or other issues there are clean, socially achieved, post-grad educated men and women who can prescribe you pills for such things - pills that are socially sanctioned rather than pot which is tabooed.

Aha.

You got me techstep.

These are indeed the main reasons I fear and fight cannabis legalisation. The desire to keep the black man down, preventing miscegenation and fear that my stocks in the wood-paper industry will tank.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 10:01 pm

Mikah wrote:
Aha.

You got me techstep.

These are indeed the main reasons I fear and fight cannabis legalisation. The desire to keep the black man down, preventing miscegenation and fear that my stocks in the wood-paper industry will tank.

Didn't say those were your reasons, just that they're some of the best reasons.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 10:53 pm

Queuing this up, I think it'll be worth the watch:

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2019, 12:00 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Mikah wrote:
Aha.

You got me techstep.

Didn't say those were your reasons, just that they're some of the best reasons.

Fear is a seriously lousy reason to keep something illegal. :lol:

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2019, 12:12 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Queuing this up, I think it'll be worth the watch:

The conversation actually gets really good and convivial between Joe and Alex when Dr. Michael Hart takes a restroom break (1:09:00). I don't know if I'd say that he fundamentally detracted from the conversation, he had good stats and positions to bring up but I think Joe's discussion and semi-debate etiquette is much more polished and it shows here.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2019, 5:58 am

AspE wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
Like I said, they care about their community.

Indeed. And Republicans only care about harsh laws. Harsh laws in connection with investment in a social safety net might work, but laws alone will not.

I'm sure Republicans care about their community. After all, they need something to take their rage out on.

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2019, 6:35 am

The strangest thing about this argument is the same people who can see exactly what Big Tobacco is cannot see that they are being manipulated by exactly the same kind of cynical, amoral suits. Big Tobacco Dope is going to make a killing, again, in more ways than one. Where do you think all this pro-cannabis propaganda comes from?

If the tobacco lobby had told you in the 1930s that we should ignore the correlation between tobacco smoking and lung cancer because it's likely that smokers are "self medicating" for preexisting lung problems would you fall for it?

If tobacco were illegal in the 1930s and billionaires were trying to make it legal, knowing that there was a correlation between smoking and many lethal lung conditions, would you fall for it?

Last edited by Mikah on 14 Feb 2019, 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

UncannyDanny
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2019, 6:50 am

Just because something is considered legal doesn't always make it a right thing to do.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2019, 7:05 am

Mikah wrote:
The strangest thing about this argument is the same people who can see exactly what Big Tobacco is cannot see that they are being manipulated by exactly the same kind of cynical, amoral suits. Big Tobacco Dope is going to make a killing, again, in more ways than one. Where do you think all this pro-cannabis propaganda comes from?

If the tobacco lobby had told you in the 1930s that we should ignore the correlation between tobacco smoking and lung cancer because it's likely that smokers are "self medicating" for preexisting lung problems would you fall for it?

If tobacco were illegal in the 1930s and billionaires were trying to make it legal, knowing that there was a correlation between smoking and many lethal lung conditions, would you fall for it?

Yep. All they need to do is repeal every 'up to six plants' personal supply rule across the states and then grab every seed and strain that isn't under their power short of some new Monsanto or PM stock. The later especially would be a cinch, like rounding up all 300 million private firearms in the US. How do I know? Because I can say 'round up all the seeds' or 'get all the guns' in less than one sentence.