New York Middle School Allowed Nooses As A School Display

Page 2 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 70,843
Location: Queens, NYC

12 Feb 2019, 10:06 am

It was just an idiotic and useless thing to do. That's the crux of it.



IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 32,727

12 Feb 2019, 10:47 am

There are other "alternative contexts" of ropes too. Think sexual assault.

This imagery is very inappropriate no matter how it's viewed, even if it's meant to address suicide.


_________________
I'll walk where my own nature would be leading: It vexes me to choose another guide.


kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 70,843
Location: Queens, NYC

12 Feb 2019, 11:46 am

I wish the teachers would say something as to “why.”



ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Age: 63
Gender: Male
Posts: 22,701
Location: Long Island, New York

14 Feb 2019, 1:51 am

Charges Filed in 2017 Noose Incident Inside Miami Fire Station

Quote:
Nearly a year and a half after a black Miami firefighter found a noose hanging over a picture of his family ruined by lewd drawings, those allegedly involved in the incident were formally be charged in the case.
The Miami-Dade State Attorney’s Office announced Tuesday the results of their investigation into the September 2017 incident inside Fire Station No. 12.

A total of six firefighters, including two supervisors, were fired two months after the incident. Four of them were charged Tuesday with criminal mischief.

None of the men - Cpt. William Bryson, Lt. Alejandro Sese, Kevin Meizoso, Justin Rumbaugh, David Rivera and Harold Santana - admitted to placing the noose and all denied the allegations at the time of their terminations. Bryson and Rivera are not facing charges.

Officials found out about an incident "involving sexually explicit and racially offensive conduct" and transferred employees to other stations. After the police department began an internal investigation, 11 firefighters were suspended without pay.

Investigators say one of the supervisors is accused of encouraging and helping subordinates draw lewd pictures on the photos.


Black doll found hanging from noose in Eastern Michigan University campus building Student responsible has been found
Quote:
A student inside a residence hall at Eastern Michigan University found a black doll hanging from a noose in a shower, officials said.

The person responsible has already been caught, but now police and campus leaders have to decide what's next. One student called it a prank, but EMU officials said it could rise to the level of ethnic intimidation.

A resident advisor in Best Hall found a black doll hanging by a noose from the shower rod in a bathroom shared with roommates.

The person who hung the doll is an EMU student who was visiting and doesn't live in the suite with the other students. That student told administrators it was a prank with no malicious or racist intentions.

When the doll was found, EMU police and campus leaders got involved.

School officials don't see it as a prank, and the student will face possible charges of ethnic intimidation. Expulsion from the university is also being considered as an option.


_________________
Professionally Identified and joined WP August 26, 2013
DSM 5: Autism Spectrum Disorder, DSM IV: Aspergers Moderate Severity

My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person. - Sara Luterman


cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 52
Gender: Male
Posts: 15,154

14 Feb 2019, 3:17 am

There is something very very wrong with a society if hanging a black effigy with a noose is considered a "funny prank"



ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Age: 63
Gender: Male
Posts: 22,701
Location: Long Island, New York

21 Mar 2019, 6:37 pm

Two teachers in New York fired after noose images displayed in classroom

Quote:
Two teachers at a middle school on Long Island, New York, where an image of a pair of nooses labeled "back to school necklaces" were displayed in a classroom have been fired.

The Roosevelt Union Free School District school board voted 4-0 on Tuesday night to fire two certified staff.

The teachers had been employed by the district for two to three years.

A third teacher, who is tenured, was suspended with pay on Tuesday pending a hearing for her alleged involvement in the display, the school board president told NBC News. She was previously on administrative leave.


_________________
Professionally Identified and joined WP August 26, 2013
DSM 5: Autism Spectrum Disorder, DSM IV: Aspergers Moderate Severity

My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person. - Sara Luterman


SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Sep 2016
Gender: Male
Posts: 14,690
Location: UK

21 Mar 2019, 7:12 pm

I cant wait to hang out by myself

Image

Oh look everyone I posted a picture of a noose ( and it's not the first time either )

I'm clearly a racist as well as an Islamophobe , I wonder how much worse I can get


_________________
R Tape loading error, 0:1

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard


VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Jun 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,445
Location: Illinois

21 Mar 2019, 7:15 pm

You just have a gallows humor, is all.


_________________
Voter shaming is a tactic of the hyper-partisan who is unable to counter arguments based on facts and critical thinking.


cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 52
Gender: Male
Posts: 15,154

22 Mar 2019, 4:36 am

SaveFerris wrote:
I cant wait to hang out by myself

Image

Oh look everyone I posted a picture of a noose ( and it's not the first time either )

I'm clearly a racist as well as an Islamophobe , I wonder how much worse I can get


Yes that attitude works fine with the white students but probably not with the 45% of students in the school who were African American.

To be fair I tend to agree the pranksters probably didn't intend this reaction but there's plenty of examples of educational institutions where it's less ambiguous
https://www.michigandaily.com/section/c ... orm-shower



SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Sep 2016
Gender: Male
Posts: 14,690
Location: UK

22 Mar 2019, 5:10 am

cyberdad wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
I cant wait to hang out by myself

Image

Oh look everyone I posted a picture of a noose ( and it's not the first time either )

I'm clearly a racist as well as an Islamophobe , I wonder how much worse I can get


Yes that attitude works fine with the white students but probably not with the 45% of students in the school who were African American.

To be fair I tend to agree the pranksters probably didn't intend this reaction but there's plenty of examples of educational institutions where it's less ambiguous
https://www.michigandaily.com/section/c ... orm-shower


Oh look , here is picture of a walk in gas oven , that's not going to offend anyone is it ? :roll:

Image


_________________
R Tape loading error, 0:1

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard


ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Age: 63
Gender: Male
Posts: 22,701
Location: Long Island, New York

22 Mar 2019, 9:12 am

SaveFerris wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
I cant wait to hang out by myself

Image

Oh look everyone I posted a picture of a noose ( and it's not the first time either )

I'm clearly a racist as well as an Islamophobe , I wonder how much worse I can get


Yes that attitude works fine with the white students but probably not with the 45% of students in the school who were African American.

To be fair I tend to agree the pranksters probably didn't intend this reaction but there's plenty of examples of educational institutions where it's less ambiguous
https://www.michigandaily.com/section/c ... orm-shower


Oh look , here is picture of a walk in gas oven , that's not going to offend anyone is it ? :roll:

Image


In a Jewish middle school a replica of a gas oven installed by teachers as a prank would. It is all a matter of context which all these NT’s who are supposed to get it don’t. When I was young people asked me if it was getting hot a holocaust reference. The Italian guy was told his car was shot up a mafia reference. In the context of everybody in that group being subject to “ethnic humor” it was not only accepted it meant that you were accepted. It really has become a situation whereby since everything is offensive nothing is. So many being offended over so little has led to the many to automatically assume anybody claiming any offense at is overly fragile. As a reaction to the political correctness epidemic the concept that there is justification for taking offense in certain situations has been pretty much lost.

Teachers pranking publically in a middle school about KKK lynchings in a minority district school or suicide should be taken as offensive.


_________________
Professionally Identified and joined WP August 26, 2013
DSM 5: Autism Spectrum Disorder, DSM IV: Aspergers Moderate Severity

My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person. - Sara Luterman


SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Sep 2016
Gender: Male
Posts: 14,690
Location: UK

22 Mar 2019, 9:24 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
As mentioned in the article while "back to school neckless" is about nooses there is some evidence the context may not be KKK lynchings but dread over being in school to the point of suicide.

Articles written before this incident
The terrifying meaning behind the phrase 'back to school necklace'

WHAT IS A BACK TO SCHOOL NECKLACE? - Girls tween fashion

Even with the possible alternative context that is an extremely unprofessional thing for teachers to do.


It may not the traditional way of starting a dialogue on school suicide but if it sparks a debate and gets everybody talking about school suicide prevention as a result - job done in my opinion.


_________________
R Tape loading error, 0:1

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard


SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Sep 2016
Gender: Male
Posts: 14,690
Location: UK

22 Mar 2019, 9:26 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
As a reaction to the political correctness epidemic the concept that there is justification for taking offense in certain situations has been pretty much lost.


I totally agree


_________________
R Tape loading error, 0:1

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard


ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Age: 63
Gender: Male
Posts: 22,701
Location: Long Island, New York

22 Mar 2019, 2:24 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
As mentioned in the article while "back to school neckless" is about nooses there is some evidence the context may not be KKK lynchings but dread over being in school to the point of suicide.

Articles written before this incident
The terrifying meaning behind the phrase 'back to school necklace'

WHAT IS A BACK TO SCHOOL NECKLACE? - Girls tween fashion

Even with the possible alternative context that is an extremely unprofessional thing for teachers to do.


It may not the traditional way of starting a dialogue on school suicide but if it sparks a debate and gets everybody talking about school suicide prevention as a result - job done in my opinion.


But that is not what happened, it started more yelling about racism. I doubt this was done to start a conversation about anything, probably more as a very ill conceived joke.

The following is based on lack of knowlege of true motives and other factors such as the district wanted to get rid of them anyway because they were lousy teachers and this provided a convenient excuse. That said I think a long unpaid suspension and not firing was in order. They did not commit a crime, show porn or fix grades etc.


_________________
Professionally Identified and joined WP August 26, 2013
DSM 5: Autism Spectrum Disorder, DSM IV: Aspergers Moderate Severity

My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person. - Sara Luterman


cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 52
Gender: Male
Posts: 15,154

22 Mar 2019, 10:03 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Teachers pranking publically in a middle school about KKK lynchings in a minority district school or suicide should be taken as offensive.

Yes that's probably more of a concern than a few ignorant students.



cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 52
Gender: Male
Posts: 15,154

22 Mar 2019, 10:05 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
Oh look , here is picture of a walk in gas oven , that's not going to offend anyone is it ? :roll:

Image


What exactly is your point oh esteemed moderator?