Could someone give me ideas to make Sims 2 more interesting?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2019, 2:49 pm

I bet I won't get any replies here, as the Sims 2 has gotten an old game, but I suppose ideas from players of the Sims 3 and 4 could be useful too.

I use cheats but I haven't got round to working out how to download custom content (that is a different thread, please don't use this thread to discuss about custom content). I love creating families but they're in the same routine; get up, eat, go to work or school, eat, wash, go to bed. I was going to do a school (using cheats to keep their moods and needs up and so they don't have to go to Sims school without the ugly social worker coming to take the kids away), but I don't know what to do with them at night, and the nights in the game seem to come round so quick and drag on for so long.

I was going to build a castle, but it's too complicated. I tried building a cool water park once but there's not a lot of things to make a water park very exciting.

I do have every Sims 2 expansion pack so there's probably a million things I can create but I just can't think of anything to make the game more interesting than just mundane routine.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2019, 4:18 pm

I've never played Sims 2, but I have played Sims 1, 3 and 4. At the moment there are several saves on my Sims 3 game. Personally, I like to approach it like this:

-Set a main goal (i.e. start off with two sims, give birth to ten kids).

- Have sub goals (build the house up, decorate it nicely).

-End goal (when the parents are elderly, have them down size and have one of the kids buy their old house).

You might want to look into challenges.

https://www.modthesims.info/forumdisplay.php?f=560

Perhaps even make one up of your own. It depends on what parts you enjoy of the game. Personally, I like the supernatural elements (I have the supernatural sims 3 expansion pack, one of the families I have is a werewolf partnered with a fairy).

I tend to spend way too long on making characters and editing furniture.

One time I got bored and decided to add myself twice (under a different household name) and then made myself...meet the other self. I went to their party. Or should I say my own? :lol:

If you're like me and enjoy writing stories, then you should consider making your characters in sims, give them the same personalities they have in the story, and just watch them interact. Seeing the villain get into a fight with the main character was amusing.

Another suggestion, you could make a ridiculous sim (over the top clothes, and so on) and pair them with a more down to earth character. Odd pairings can be entertaining.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2019, 4:48 pm

I did make a Sims 2 version of the characters from the comedy-drama sitcom, Outnumbered. But I haven't built the Brockman house yet. But in the Sims 2 the kids mostly act the same, and the parents keep dancing together with them while they giggle stupidly, ahh it's so annoying! But I suppose I could turn free will off and make a Sims 2 version of the Outnumbered series.

Thanks for the inspiration! :D

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2019, 7:24 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I did make a Sims 2 version of the characters from the comedy-drama sitcom, Outnumbered. But I haven't built the Brockman house yet. But in the Sims 2 the kids mostly act the same, and the parents keep dancing together with them while they giggle stupidly, ahh it's so annoying! But I suppose I could turn free will off and make a Sims 2 version of the Outnumbered series.

Thanks for the inspiration! :D

No problem. :)

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2019, 2:47 am

I've played sims 1-3, skipping 4 since it isn't open world. I usually build luxurious houses, like large, roomy with good natural lighting (= many windows). I try out the different professions, don't care for vampires or werewolves as those are more for children. Collecting seeds and growing a garden can also be well spent time. Also, try living as a homeless bum, can you take care of yourself?

How much of this that works in S2 i cannot remember, but i don't look back.

Hint: used Sims 3 discs are dirt cheap now and can probably be picked up on eBay for a few bucks, i got most of them a few years ago, some used ones of an auction site, except the Diesel (that didn't add anything) and the vampire thing (that i don't like). Around 13 expansions in total i think, lots of content and "possibility space" as Will Wright says.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2019, 6:05 am

I would get the Sims 3 but I don't like the format. The Sims 2 has better format, in my opinion. But the Sims 3 does have more features, like personality traits and stuff. I wanted to make an autistic kid on Sims 2 but it didn't really work out, as the kid acted like all the other kids, no matter how much I altered the personality traits. I think in Sims 3 you can get more individuality in each Sim.

TUF
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2019, 3:43 pm

I liked playing royal kingdom challenge, you get different social classes so you have like royal family and peasants and merchants. Still try to make them all survive but under the conditions and rules set out per class.