Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

kdm1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Feb 2019, 9:43 am

I've gotten more into jazz lately.

A few years ago, I started with the usual -- Miles Davis Kind of Blue, and Dave Brubeck's stuff. Then I got a Bill Evans album, and a John Coltrane album. I loved "Peace Piece" and "Naima."

I work a night shift now, and the Music Choice jazz station has helped keep me mentally active on the shift.

I've found I also really love Freddie Hubbard, Herbie Hancock, Cannonball Adderley, and Kamasi Washington.

Who else likes jazz?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2019, 9:48 am

I like old jazz....from New Orleans to bebop.

Some of the newer jazz is cool, too.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2019, 6:00 pm

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2019, 7:25 pm

We had a good jazz thread going for a while.

I'm a big fan of Miles, Herbie Hancock, Eric Dolphy, Coltrane, Brubeck, Cecil Taylor, and Ornette Coleman.

Chummy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 7:29 pm

I mostly like the newer Jazz, 70s/80s funk, Japanese jazz/funk fusion, latino influenced, etc.
Among them artists Shakatak, Casiopea, Level 42, Stevie Wonder, Naoya Matsuoka and a bit of Herbie Hancock, etc.
Don't like the 30s-50s as much. I do know the standards every musicians needs to know how to play such as Duke Ellington's Don't mean a thing, Chattanooga Choo Choo and Take 5, Autumn Leaves etc.
I know Coltraine is a gold standard but haven't been digging too much into his music as it's a bit complicated to listen to. Maybe I ought to give it another try since it's been awhile.

I am a huge Ragtime fan though, also like me some Novelty roaring 20s. But I guess that's for another thread since it ain't jazz.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2019, 7:35 pm

Yeah, I think Kind of Blue is something a lot of people grab up early on. I really liked the major 3rds that showed up in the piano and other places. b*****s Brew was also a really amazing album.

In my searches for other stuff I stumbled on Larry Young's Unity, that had some pretty good content as well.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2019, 7:56 pm

More 80's electronic jazz, it's a track Goldie fell in love with when he was staying in Miami with his dad. He did a remake of it on Journey Man and got really good feedback from Pat.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

kdm1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Feb 2019, 9:22 pm

Chummy, I'm particular about Coltrane as well. I admire his search for spiritual truth, and I think "Naima" and "Psalm" are inspired pieces, but a lot of times I just can't get into his work. And I've really tried.

Haven't gotten into fusion, either, at least yet -- it goes over my head.

But I'm really into Hancock and Freddie Hubbard lately, period between 1964 to 1970.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2019, 9:30 pm

I have a great uncle who was a ragtime/jazz composer. His specialty was piano rolls. He composed the first version of "Felix the Cat."

kdm1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Feb 2019, 9:51 pm

kraftiekortie, that is very neat!

My late older brother was a state champion piano player when he was a boy. My mother was big into classical music, especially Rachmaninoff. But she also liked other styles, including the '50s rock music she grew up listening to. She later wrote lyrics for my dad's country music melodies, but my dad never made it in the industry despite attempts in the early 1990s.

I showed no ability to write or compose music in any form, but I have very good ear, and can identify/memorize songs, styles, etc. with ease and detail. I'm also more sensitive to things like tone, color, chords/scales, timbre, and even time signatures than I am to melody; my parents preferred melody in all the genres.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2019, 9:53 pm

I'm purely a "music appreciator" myself.

But I really like listening to 20's jazz.

Chummy
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2019, 3:09 pm

I've got a couple of piano pieces I composed and played live in HD quality on YT (at home, nothing fancy, but very good sound quality)

in the genre of Ragtime the Novelty 20's

I really need to upload more as most of what I have composed is not up yet. I did finish making sheet music for my first piece called 'ragtime party'

will prolly transcribe the rest when I'm not feeling lazy

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2019, 3:26 pm

I've been into jazz for a while. What brought me to it was Steely Dan. I was introduced to Oscar Peterson in the 60's, but because I was but a child, couldn't appreciate it. I do now.

My taste in jazz runs from bebop to big band, from Ella to Monheit, from Bill Evans to Art Tatum, from Tom Scott to David Benoit.

I've seen these artists live - Herbie Hancock, Chick Corea, Joe Zawinul, Special FX, John Densmore, Lee Ritenour, Carlos Santana, Wayne Shorter and a few others.

I once ran into Miles Davis in an elevator in NY. I was in awe so all I could do was say hi. I noticed he had corneal arcus (white circles around the cornea of each eye).

I'm a musician and learned how to play the guitar mainly because of a book by jazz legend Django Reinhardt. I still can't play like that but I did pick up a few things (like diminished 7's) along the way.

Morph
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Feb 2019, 5:55 pm

I really like Enrico Rava, Jonathan Kreisberg, and Gilad Hekselman :)

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2019, 7:01 pm

Candice Hoyes vocal interpretation of some rare Duke Ellington tracks:

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2019, 8:32 pm

I can listen to Bill Evans forever...I think I have all his albums. Evans and Getz. Kind of Blue is of course the standard. I love big band music, but that is for dancing. Benny Goodman, oh my goodness he could play. I tried to learn jazz piano and even played a couple of tunes for a class performance, but I really was no good. Can't improvise and terrified of doing something wrong. Had a love affair with a jazz pianist. :oops: long long time ago. :D I have a recording of my great-uncle playing ragtime.