Page 1 of 9 [ 142 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2019, 2:49 pm

TRAIL OF TEARS: TRUMP ACCUSED OF JOKING ABOUT NATIVE AMERICAN GENOCIDE IN TWEET MOCKING SENATOR WARREN

Quote:
President Donald Trump has been accused of joking about the 19th century Trail of Tears on which thousands of Native Americans died, after posting a tweet mocking Senator Elizabeth Warren’s formal announcement of her candidacy for the U.S. presidency.

Soon after the Massachusetts senator launched her presidential bid on Saturday, the president renewed his attacks on her claims to have Native American ancestry.

“Today Elizabeth Warren, sometimes referred to by me as Pocahontas, joined the race for President,” he wrote on Twitter. “Will she run as our first Native American presidential candidate, or has she decided that after 32 years, this is not playing so well anymore? See you on the campaign TRAIL, Liz!”

The capped up word ‘Trail’ was read by critics as an allusion to the Trail of Tears, which saw thousands of Native Americans forcibly relocated from their lands in the American southeast to reservations in Oklahoma after the Indian Removal Act of 1830.

Thousands died of exposure, hunger and disease before they could reach their destination.

The forced relocation was begun under the presidency of Andrew Jackson, the seventh president of the United States, whose portrait adorns Trump’s Oval Office and who the president has hailed as an inspiration for his own populist, nativist policies.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2019, 10:34 pm

Such a total piece of garbage, this racist Motherf***er Trump is ruining the world.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 2:48 am

Trump again demonstrates how he is completely devoid of human empathy and decency.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 3:42 am

It's like diet commercials that joke about "the Battle of the Bulge".

19,276 Americans killed, but it's funny.

Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 6:36 am

LoveNotHate wrote:

Only racists find racist jokes funny. As for people who laugh at the slow deaths of 19,276 Americans from exposure and starvation, after having their lands stolen and forced to walk from North Carolina to Oklahoma in winter; Americans which had fought and died alongside US Army soldiers in the Creek and Seminole Wars....well; you really need to change your moniker.

DystopianShadows
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 6:52 am

He wasn't referring to anything except the campaign trail, folks. You're reading WAY too much into this.

Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?"

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 7:41 am

Piobaire wrote:
Only racists find racist jokes funny.

Demonstrably untrue. Whether it be a joke about the holocaust, or some self-deprecating play on some jewish stereotype, I've seen plenty of jew-jokes coming from jews, some of whom were rabbis. Humour is an excellent way of robbing something terrible of its power. It's basically a stereotype of its own.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 7:50 am

Piobaire wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:

Only racists find racist jokes funny. As for people who laugh at the slow deaths of 19,276 Americans from exposure and starvation, after having their lands stolen and forced to walk from North Carolina to Oklahoma in winter; Americans which had fought and died alongside US Army soldiers in the Creek and Seminole Wars....well; you really need to change your moniker.

I believe she was saying "Battle of the Buldge" is used in a humorous way even though thousands of US soldiers died fighting in the Battle of the Buldge during World War II.

My guess is the reason why lefties aren't offended by the battle of the bulge being used humorously is because most of the thousands of soldiers who died fighting it were probably white male christians.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 8:04 am

I am for politically incorrect self depreciating humor. This was not self depreciating.

The trail of tears was heavily an Andrew Jackson creation a man Trump is known to admire so he plausably would know what the trail of tears was. Since Trump has gone on and on about Warren faking being an Indian is another reason the joke could have been referencing Indians.

The joke could have bn about the campaign trail.

The joke could have had double meaning both about the campaign trail and the trail of tears. That is my ongoing theory.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 9:46 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:

The joke could have had double meaning both about the campaign trail and the trail of tears. That is my ongoing theory.

I think he deliberately writes things this way , you can't prove it's meaning but it causes the opposition to jump on it as they are triggered by a double entendre , it deflects away from other things if people are going bat s**t about abut a double entendre.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 10:40 am

DystopianShadows wrote:
He wasn't referring to anything except the campaign trail, folks. You're reading WAY too much into this.

Liar.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 11:28 am

SaveFerris wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

I think he deliberately writes things this way , you can't prove it's meaning but it causes the opposition to jump on it as they are triggered by a double entendre , it deflects away from other things if people are going bat s**t about abut a double entendre.

I think you're right.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 2:59 pm

EzraS wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

I think you're right.

But is Trump smart enough for that?

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 4:08 pm

I think he is mean enough to do that. Some people are just wired that way. Just like some people can do math and others can write poetry.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 4:22 pm

BTDT wrote:
I think he is mean enough to do that. Some people are just wired that way. Just like some people can do math and others can write poetry.

...so you're saying it's not his fault?

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 4:35 pm

I was addressing the issue of intelligence or "smarts."

As far as fault goes, how can a leader not be responsible for what he says or tweets?

Bill Clinton was smart enough to use the help of advisers to guide his way though the tough times of his presidency, as one would expect from a leader.