Nonverbal 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Other 10%  10%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 39

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 4:41 pm

Verbally fluent and conversational.

On antidepressants (50mg Sertraline) ~ Helps control emotional outbursts but not general anxiety.

AceofPens
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Feb 2019, 4:52 pm

Too verbal, usually. :lol:

I was verbally advanced early on, but my conversational skills have always been pretty bad. No filter whatsoever, tangential, hyperfocused on single topics, etc. My only verbal abnormalities observed by professionals are occasional over-articulation and an unusually formal manner of speaking. If I work to remain mindful of the other person in the conversation, I do much better, and I have improved in recent years. Most of the therapy I have now is focused on developing my conversational skills. Group conversations are still beyond me, but I can handle one-on-one interactions quite well at this point, depending on the skills and style of the person I'm talking to. I also don't do well with using conversation as a tool for social bonding.

strings
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Feb 2019, 4:58 pm

Verbally fluent, and conversational with people I know well. Barely conversational with people I don't know well.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 10:24 pm

Verbally fluent. I'd just choose not conversational even if I could.

I think the main reason why I'm verbally fluent is because of my physicality. No aphasia, dyslexia, or anything that causes speech issues.
Heck, my physicality might as well be why I can pass.

I'm no verbal thinker, I'm not really meant for words and verbal languages or even speech -- and this isn't coming from social related issues.
Yet I don't have speech delays either; that's how I'm qualified with Aspergers diagnosis despite having weak verbal thinking and learning -- I'm just 'verbal enough' for it.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2019, 6:47 am

I'm verbal and conversational with people that I trust.

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2019, 9:07 am

OBSERVATION: People here saying "I'm verbal and conversational...but I don't like to talk to strangers, or I only talk to people I trust," I think you missed the subtext of "conversational" and answered incorrectly.

strings
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Feb 2019, 9:41 am

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
OBSERVATION: People here saying "I'm verbal and conversational...but I don't like to talk to strangers, or I only talk to people I trust," I think you missed the subtext of "conversational" and answered incorrectly.

So what is the subtext? I guess I'm still missing it.

TUF
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2019, 10:00 am

Verbal but boring to a lot of people who are NT but most people I know are either aspie or are artists and artists are quirky types so don't find me boring.

(I mean real ones are, the artistic mindset is)

When I was 0-4 I wasn't nonverbal but I had verbal dyspraxia to the extent where nobody understood what I was saying.

I can't remember it but that must have been really frustrating.

Mum says she understood me but she also says she understood me when I was a baby. So I don't think that's the same.

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2019, 1:59 pm

strings wrote:
ezbzbfcg2 wrote:

I interpreted it as: fully capable of carrying on a conversation if need be, but not as inclined to do so (especially with strangers in passing) as the average NT.

You can converse just fine, vocabulary-wise. Socially, you'd prefer not to, or it's always a little less easy and less natural for you to do the way most NTs seem to do, so while you're verbal, no speech problems or language comprehension problems, you're not particularly conversational with the general public. At least not naturally so.

This doesn't apply as much when dealing with family/friends. More in a general out-there-in-the-world sense: how conversational are you with random people compared to others?

strings
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Feb 2019, 4:05 pm

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
I interpreted it as: fully capable of carrying on a conversation if need be, but not as inclined to do so (especially with strangers in passing) as the average NT.

You can converse just fine, vocabulary-wise. Socially, you'd prefer not to, or it's always a little less easy and less natural for you to do the way most NTs seem to do, so while you're verbal, no speech problems or language comprehension problems, you're not particularly conversational with the general public. At least not naturally so.

This doesn't apply as much when dealing with family/friends. More in a general out-there-in-the-world sense: how conversational are you with random people compared to others?

Well, I guess that subtext passed me by. Actually, I'm not sure now if you are defining "verbally fluent, conversational," or "verbally fluent, not conversational."

Maybe the OP would step in, and define the terms in her poll?

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2019, 5:10 pm

strings wrote:
ezbzbfcg2 wrote:

Well, I guess that subtext passed me by. Actually, I'm not sure now if you are defining "verbally fluent, conversational," or "verbally fluent, not conversational."

Maybe the OP would step in, and define the terms in her poll?

Conversational meaning able to have a basic conversation.

Alterity
Toucan
Toucan

14 Feb 2019, 5:47 pm

Verbally fluent most of the time lol Sometimes my head goes too fast for my mouth and I end up butchering sentences.

I'm conversationally capable. There are times I have no idea what to say but I am able to have conversations. Many times I rather not though. At least in terms of your pleasantry conversation...so tedious and boring. There's no substance, I see no point in talking for the sake of talking. If i don't want to talk or am just not interested in what someone is blathering about you'll only be getting one word answers from me....or maybe just a grunt xD

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2019, 6:10 pm

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
strings wrote:
ezbzbfcg2 wrote:

I have significant communication problems despite being verbally fluent.

Alita
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2019, 6:17 pm

I'm more of a writer, so not very verbal at all.

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2019, 7:05 pm

Alita wrote:
I'm more of a writer, so not very verbal at all.

Me too.