Tinnitus making me suicidal, what to do?

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Fos11
Toucan
Toucan

13 Feb 2019, 2:35 pm

How do i deal with tinnitus? Because it is making me suicidal, and angry. Because it is really annoying having constant ringing in my ears. And i dont think you can get rid of a tinnitus, right? How do you deal with an annoying ringing in your ears? Especially if it seem to get worse? Should i kill myself? Because i have just too many medical problem, and it keeps getting worse. It is like im cursed. Or can you get rid off it?

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 2:43 pm

Ketamine has shown some promising results in tinnitus treatment.

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03336398

[url]https://arizonaketamine.com/tinnitus-treatment-ketamine
[/url]

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 2:43 pm

Tinnitus can be masked by background noise. Try some white noise apps for example and experiment with them for a start. The level of tinnitus I experience is constant... sometimes it bothers me and sometimes I don't notice it (unless I think about it... then it magically re-appears).

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

Fos11
Toucan
Toucan

13 Feb 2019, 2:53 pm

It seems to get worse, even tho i try to avoid too loud noises.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 2:57 pm

I don't have tinnitus, but I use white noise all the time for my hypersensitive hearing; I can vouch for it all the way. You can get apps but I have a standalone machine about three inches in diameter which can be carried around and attached to earplugs. It recharges using USB-microUSB (no batteries required). Here it is against my glasses to give an impression as to its size:

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 3:02 pm

I understand what you're going through. I have had it all of my life.

I find that if I'm exposed to loud noises (loud music, concerts, loud machinery, etc) then the ringing intensity is amplified and far louder lasting a period of days until it goes back down to its "normal" level. Are you around a lot of loud noises or do you expose yourself to loud noises?

Every person is different so I don't think there's singular advice that would help everyone. I know people do have luck with tinnitus maskers which are similar to hearing aids and, as someone already mentioned, make a white noise masking sound. When I was at the audiologist about five years ago, they were very expensive.

You can download tinnitus masking apps to play on a cell phone with headphones. It helps. There is a website called Audio Notch which goes beyond just "white noise" masking sounds. You determine (as close as you can) the perceived frequency of your tinnitus using the website and some headphones, then if you pay for the app, it creates you a customized "notched" selection of white noise, pink noise, brown noise, "street sweeper", babbling brook and other kinds of sounds to choose from on the app. Notching, from what I recall is playing the opposite frequency sound from the tinnitus ringing with cancels the tinnitus frequency out.

I did join a tinnitus forum called Tinnitus Talk which is like WP but specific to those with tinnitus and hyperacusis, but I didn't stay there too long. I found that talking about my tinnitus meant I was thinking about my tinnitus more often.......

Stress for me increases my awareness of my tinnitus.

I had to accept that it's part of me and I can't do anything about it. By accepting it, it certainly doesn't make it go away, but it loses some of its power over me. A mindset of: "Oh well, it is what it is, I guess." and then trying to occupy my mind with other things.

I feel your pain.

Fos11
Toucan
Toucan

14 Feb 2019, 5:03 am

I think i have hearing loss, yes i definitely do. Not only is my eyesight detierorating, no, my hearing too. Im just cursed.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

14 Feb 2019, 5:12 am

I have the issue, too.
It increases with anxiety and fatigue.
It gets better with comfort and rest.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

14 Feb 2019, 2:42 pm

I've read that some tricyclic antidepressants can help with it. They can also help with the depression & anxiety tinnitus causes you.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2019, 2:47 pm

Again, there is a known successful treatment. Ketamine is an antidepressant of sorts as I understand it however there are other mechanisms by which it can improve aural health.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2019, 12:12 pm

cberg wrote:
Again, there is a known successful treatment. Ketamine is an antidepressant of sorts as I understand it however there are other mechanisms by which it can improve aural health.

Ketamine infusions are really expensive, while they may work it is probably unlikely to get this treatment for tinnitus.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2019, 2:35 pm

Modern medicine can be a colossal ripoff, that's not to say it can't do good things for you.

Fos11
Toucan
Toucan

21 Apr 2019, 11:44 am

I doubt that ancient medicine was better. Quite the opposite.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2019, 9:12 am

I just responded to your other tinnitus thread, but in that one, you weren't talking about it making you suicidal.

Should you go to the doctor? Hell, yes!