Oh great mum's probably going to be reading WP now...

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

TUF
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2019, 1:36 pm

I'm 30 but I have a teenage mindset on parents reading my stuff.

I've been myself on here. Not enough myself that a stranger could stalk me but enough that she'll know it's me.

She's now working with autistic teenagers including providing online resources to them.

Is it just me or is she going to start reading through the forums?

So embarrassing :oops:

serpentari
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2019, 1:55 pm

i even linked a couple of topics to my mother) tho she doesnt get it. but actually, i am quite recognizable, using my global nickname and avatar, and all xD anybody wants to read it, they are welcome xD

TUF
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2019, 2:11 pm

Worst thing is I look vulnerable. She's obsessed with babying me. Also with banning me from social media even though I'm an adult because it's 'bad for my mental health'.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2019, 2:16 pm

My username is just a contracted version of my real name that I've used all over most of my computers for ages. Ultimately I'm OK with everyone in my life Googling my posts, it feels better to be honest about representing myself & none of us have time to read all that anyway.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2019, 2:19 pm

I don't see much personal information in your profile for her to recognize you. TUF is fairly obscure unless it is the initials of your name. You don't provide your location or age in your profile. Your avatar is strange - would that provide a clue to identify you. There seems to me a flag in the photo. Is that the flag of the nation where you reside? I suspect that she will not be able to read your conversations unless you give her pertinent information or allow her to read your posts. - that is unless she is an internet wizard!

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2019, 4:56 pm

Change you avatar because it gives away your location. And be careful not to put anything new in (like this thread)

that give away identifiable info (this thread will be buried in a few days).

I did wonder about my Mum and other family but none are bothered enough to come on here. If they did they would

recognise me as fluffy straight away.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2019, 5:09 pm

TUF wrote:

I'm like that with everyone I know. I never want anyone to read anything I don't personally choose for them to read, and I want no mixing of crowds.

So I certainly understand your reaction!

If she's looking for online resources, with luck she'll look for more official health type sites rather than WP.
And even if she is providing online sources for them, she might not actually read them herself.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

TUF
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2019, 5:11 pm

jimmy m wrote:
I don't see much personal information in your profile for her to recognize you. TUF is fairly obscure unless it is the initials of your name. You don't provide your location or age in your profile. Your avatar is strange - would that provide a clue to identify you. There seems to me a flag in the photo. Is that the flag of the nation where you reside? I suspect that she will not be able to read your conversations unless you give her pertinent information or allow her to read your posts. - that is unless she is an internet wizard!

I'm just basing it on the posts. It's very obviously me if you read them. I mean not if you do but if she does.

TUF
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2019, 5:13 pm

Skilpadde wrote:
TUF wrote:

I'm like that with everyone I know. I never want anyone to read anything I don't personally choose for them to read, and I want no mixing of crowds.

So I certainly understand your reaction!

If she's looking for online resources, with luck she'll look for more official health type sites rather than WP.
And even if she is providing online sources for them, she might not actually read them herself.

Thanks, I never know if it's my autism or my social anxiety but I've always been that way. Just a private person. I was worse when I was ill - I didn't like people to use search engines in case they googled my name.

Yeah hopefully. Apparently she's working with autistic teenagers with anxiety issues. And it's just a small part of her job. She just got giddy over helping autistic kids because I had some bad years at school.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2019, 5:39 pm

I used to be worried about people finding out it's me ( still bugs me ).

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2019, 10:52 pm

Unless Tuf is your first or last name, it does not look like your profile contains enough info for someone to look for you

Log off after finishing

Avoid writing things like where you work, live, legal names

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

15 Feb 2019, 5:03 am

I would like die if my mom stumbled across this forum & read my posts. I NEVER had a close realtionship with my mom & I've talked about aLOT of private stuff on here over the years. I don't think I'd have to worry thou cuz my mom never really researched autism much.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

TUF
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2019, 6:28 am

SaveFerris wrote:

Especially with her, you see the thing about her is she spent my teenage years doing it from about 14 on, then bringing it up in really vague ways, so I'd have a fairly obscure motto under my name and she'd mention the motto in passing. Like things she wouldn't randomly say.

And through my 20s, she read my twitter and picked arguments over me disagreeing with her politically.

Probably has to do with the fact she feels like she wasn't there when I was 12 and 13 and I went through some stuff but I'm an adult now and super paranoid/cautious in my own right.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2019, 7:00 am

TUF wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:

Especially with her, you see the thing about her is she spent my teenage years doing it from about 14 on, then bringing it up in really vague ways, so I'd have a fairly obscure motto under my name and she'd mention the motto in passing. Like things she wouldn't randomly say.

And through my 20s, she read my twitter and picked arguments over me disagreeing with her politically.

Probably has to do with the fact she feels like she wasn't there when I was 12 and 13 and I went through some stuff but I'm an adult now and super paranoid/cautious in my own right.

It's a difficult anxiety to overcome and it's probably not as obvious it's you posting as you think it is. Does your mum even know your here? I've just had a tattoo of my avatar so I think it's blatantly obvious its me :lol:

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

TUF
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2019, 8:51 am

No she doesn't.

It's just that WP is a pretty big autism resource.

Probably not a big one for teens in the UK though. This site is very American and adult (not in the erotic sense, just most of us are in our 20s or older).

She'll probably use things like NAS etc more.

plokijuh
Toucan
Toucan

15 Feb 2019, 4:40 pm

From the NTs I've spoken to in my life, they're less interested in what autistics have to say about themselves than what autism professionals have to say. I mean they listen to me because I have a relationship with them, but my husband laughed at the idea of reading through WP forums. I know there are NTs on here, but my guess is that she's more likely to read journalism if she is going for autistic perspectives, and autism support websites if she's looking for professional advice.

I wouldn't worry too much.

AQ: 42 (Scores in the 33-50 range indicate significant Austistic traits)
RAADS-R: 165
RDOS: Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 159 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 44 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)