Page 4 of 6 [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Crimadella
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2019, 4:49 pm

Perhaps we are actually in agreement and I just used poor terminology, 'biological evolution', I meant Evolution. So I will rephrase. Culture is not separate from evolution.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2019, 4:51 pm

I was only objecting to your notion that culture is solely the product of evolution. Evolution can influence culture, for instance, the phenomenon of euphoria from alcohol intake can influence culture, it probably drove the invention of agriculture.

Crimadella
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2019, 5:17 pm

AspE wrote:
I was only objecting to your notion that culture is solely the product of evolution. Evolution can influence culture, for instance, the phenomenon of euphoria from alcohol intake can influence culture, it probably drove the invention of agriculture.

I think I understand what you are saying. Like, psychedelics can have an influence on the evolution of a monkey.

What I meant, which makes it hard to relay my thoughts because you have a good education and I don't. What I meant was as we evolved language and became more specific with our communication, we eventually evolved the newer aspect, culture. Thus our evolution lead to us developing culture. And that culture has it's on means of influencing our evolution.

enz
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2019, 6:48 am

karathraceandherspecialdestiny wrote:

As a human we see the world as we are not how the world is. When dealing with an conceptual idea the best way to cut through the BS is with facts and logic not "intuition" and opinion or rather "I can't explain why I'm right so just believe what I believe". That's fine to believe but pretty egotistical if you want someone to agree with you. A concept isn't isn't reality, facts and logic are as close we can get in a debate.

I think that's BS about gender. I know a women writing a very complicated book with many facts in it

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2019, 12:10 pm

enz wrote:

As a human we see the world as we are not how the world is. When dealing with an conceptual idea the best way to cut through the BS is with facts and logic not "intuition" and opinion or rather "I can't explain why I'm right so just believe what I believe". That's fine to believe but pretty egotistical if you want someone to agree with you. A concept isn't isn't reality, facts and logic are as close we can get in a debate.

I think that's BS about gender. I know a women writing a very complicated book with many facts in it

Try actually reading the article.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

Crimadella
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2019, 1:03 pm

I can see how that article can apply to some, but it makes outrageous claims. Anyone whom uses the words 'Logic', 'Rational', 'Fact' and claim they can think without bias is a moderate conservative, conservative or Alt right. Lol! Clearly there is no left leaning bias on this article. I find the majority of the article very poorly thought out. I'm a programmer, if I have a flaw in my 'logic' my program doesn't work. I can disagree with people and not get mad at them. I'm not even a conservative. They seem to miss the 'fact' that most debates throughout the entirety of political debate(regardless of political leaning(alt-right, conservative, centralist, democrat, progressive democrat, radical left)), scientific debate or any debate, it's quite common practice to use 'facts', 'logic' & examples to compare too. So no, using these words does not cast you into the conclusion of the article(republican).

I use these words quite often, I do not meet the standards of this article and I am very capable of learning from others. It also makes the claim about 'IDW' viewers which is absolutely hilarious considering they consist of a political spectrum, from strong conservative to progressive left.

People like to use facts because fact by definition are confirmable pieces of information, much better than just assuming something is true. Here is the definition of the words the article claims can't be defined...
----------------
-Logic
/ˈläjik/Submit
noun
reasoning conducted or assessed according to strict principles of validity.
"experience is a better guide to this than deductive logic"
synonyms: science of reasoning, science of deduction, science of thought, dialectics, argumentation, ratiocination
"the study of logic"
a system or set of principles underlying the arrangements of elements in a computer or electronic device so as to perform a specified task.
--------------
-Fact
/fakt/Submit
noun
a thing that is known or proved to be true.
"he ignores some historical and economic facts"
synonyms: reality, actuality, certainty, factuality, certitude; More
a piece of information used as evidence or as part of a report or news article.
synonyms: detail, piece of information, particular, item, specific, element, point, factor, feature, characteristic, respect, ingredient, attribute, circumstance, consideration, aspect, facet; More
used in discussing the significance of something that is the case.
noun: the fact that
"the real problem facing them is the fact that their funds are being cut"
----------
-Rational
/ˈraSH(ə)n(ə)l/Submit
adjective
based on or in accordance with reason or logic.
"I'm sure there's a perfectly rational explanation"
synonyms: logical, reasoned, well reasoned, sensible, reasonable, cogent, coherent, intelligent, wise, judicious, sagacious, astute, shrewd, perceptive, enlightened, clear-eyed, clear-sighted, commonsensical, common-sense, well advised, well grounded, sound, sober, prudent, circumspect, politic; More
MATHEMATICS
(of a number, quantity, or expression) expressible, or containing quantities that are expressible, as a ratio of whole numbers. When expressed as a decimal, a rational number has a finite or recurring expansion.

I have to throw this 'fact' in also :D Wikipedia is not a dictionary.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2019, 4:23 pm

My opinion is that Shapiro has no say on the matter. He's not Trans, therefore he doesn't know how it feels to be Trans. He doesn't know what Trans people go through on a day to day basis.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2019, 4:27 pm

I can't listen to his whiny voice (no offense meant).

It hurts my ears. Can someone post his argument?

karathraceandherspecialdestiny
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2019, 5:51 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
I can't listen to his whiny voice (no offense meant).

It hurts my ears. Can someone post his argument?

His whiny voice is his argument. He's a big proponent of what they call the Gish gallop style of "argumentation".

Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2019, 5:53 pm

Crimadella wrote:

I can see how that article can apply to some, but it makes outrageous claims. Anyone whom uses the words 'Logic', 'Rational', 'Fact' and claim they can think without bias is a moderate conservative, conservative or Alt right. Lol! Clearly there is no left leaning bias on this article. I find the majority of the article very poorly thought out. I'm a programmer, if I have a flaw in my 'logic' my program doesn't work. I can disagree with people and not get mad at them. I'm not even a conservative. They seem to miss the 'fact' that most debates throughout the entirety of political debate(regardless of political leaning(alt-right, conservative, centralist, democrat, progressive democrat, radical left)), scientific debate or any debate, it's quite common practice to use 'facts', 'logic' & examples to compare too. So no, using these words does not cast you into the conclusion of the article(republican).

I use these words quite often, I do not meet the standards of this article and I am very capable of learning from others. It also makes the claim about 'IDW' viewers which is absolutely hilarious considering they consist of a political spectrum, from strong conservative to progressive left.

People like to use facts because fact by definition are confirmable pieces of information, much better than just assuming something is true. Here is the definition of the words the article claims can't be defined...
----------------
-Logic
/ˈläjik/Submit
noun
reasoning conducted or assessed according to strict principles of validity.
"experience is a better guide to this than deductive logic"
synonyms: science of reasoning, science of deduction, science of thought, dialectics, argumentation, ratiocination
"the study of logic"
a system or set of principles underlying the arrangements of elements in a computer or electronic device so as to perform a specified task.
--------------
-Fact
/fakt/Submit
noun
a thing that is known or proved to be true.
"he ignores some historical and economic facts"
synonyms: reality, actuality, certainty, factuality, certitude; More
a piece of information used as evidence or as part of a report or news article.
synonyms: detail, piece of information, particular, item, specific, element, point, factor, feature, characteristic, respect, ingredient, attribute, circumstance, consideration, aspect, facet; More
used in discussing the significance of something that is the case.
noun: the fact that
"the real problem facing them is the fact that their funds are being cut"
----------
-Rational
/ˈraSH(ə)n(ə)l/Submit
adjective
based on or in accordance with reason or logic.
"I'm sure there's a perfectly rational explanation"
synonyms: logical, reasoned, well reasoned, sensible, reasonable, cogent, coherent, intelligent, wise, judicious, sagacious, astute, shrewd, perceptive, enlightened, clear-eyed, clear-sighted, commonsensical, common-sense, well advised, well grounded, sound, sober, prudent, circumspect, politic; More
MATHEMATICS
(of a number, quantity, or expression) expressible, or containing quantities that are expressible, as a ratio of whole numbers. When expressed as a decimal, a rational number has a finite or recurring expansion.

I have to throw this 'fact' in also :D Wikipedia is not a dictionary.

The article didn't claim those words don't have dictionary definitions, but that the term "logic" in philosophical terms is hard to define and has many subclassifications, which the article talks about. Your reading comprehension seems shallow, or maybe you just skimmed the article without actually reading the content of it?

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2019, 9:26 pm

There is no greater freedom than the right to self-identify, so, people who are pro-trans (favor the right to self-identify) have the ultimate right-wing, Libertarian, pro-freedom, pro-individuality stance.

People who are anti-trans are pro-government control, like less freedom, like when government limits your rights.

So, Shapiro's "logic" is probably a contradictory mess as he appears to fancy himself a "right wing conservative".

Crimadella
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2019, 9:38 pm

The article didn't claim those words don't have dictionary definitions, but that the term "logic" in philosophical terms is hard to define and has many subclassifications, which the article talks about. Your reading comprehension seems shallow, or maybe you just skimmed the article without actually reading the content of it?

I did read and skim it. It has so many holes and is very long. It's basically a rant which makes little to no sense at all. I gave it a chance, in my opinion it's illogical crap. 'Illogical' meaning, it makes absurd assertions.

Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2019, 9:44 pm

Crimadella wrote:

I did read and skim it. It has so many holes and is very long. It's basically a rant which makes little to no sense at all. I gave it a chance, in my opinion it's illogical crap. 'Illogical' meaning, it makes absurd assertions.

I see, so what you're saying is that it was over your head. Thanks for clarifying.

Crimadella
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2019, 9:47 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
There is no greater freedom than the right to self-identify, so, people who are pro-trans (favor the right to self-identify) have the ultimate right-wing, Libertarian, pro-freedom, pro-individuality stance.

People who are anti-trans are pro-government control, like less freedom, like when government limits your rights.

So, Shapiro's "logic" is probably a contradictory mess as he appears to fancy himself a "right wing conservative".

? He isn't anti-trans, he has only stated that thousands of times. His opinion differs from mine, I would respectfully call a trans either him or her, which ever they prefer. Now get into how weird people are becoming with gender play, if someone identifies as a martian...no, i'm not going to refer to them as a martian. I point that out because someone actually did get plastic surgery to make themselves look like a martian and claims they identify as a martian. Where do we draw the line on 'just plain crazy'. Like the 55 year old man who identifies as a 6 year old girl.

Ben Shapiro, simply says he will not call a bio-male a female or vice versa. That is because they, in reality are a bio-male. The logic is pure, maybe a little disrespectful, in no way is it illogical. Consult a biologist if you disagree.

Crimadella
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2019, 9:48 pm

Crimadella wrote:

I see, so what you're saying is that it was over your head. Thanks for clarifying.

No, it's not over my head. Is it over your head?