Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2019, 9:10 am

Yeah....we’re all right.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2019, 9:15 am

No. We are so fuuucked. Don Hamberder thinks he's a king.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2019, 9:30 am

Usually it's liberals declaring an emergency.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2019, 10:37 am

Here's a list of the 31 national emergencies that have been in effect for years

Quote:
According to the Federal Register, 58 national emergencies have been declared since the National Emergency Act of 1976 was signed into law by President Gerald Ford.
And 31 have been annually renewed and are currently still in effect, as listed in the Federal Register.

Trump is the first to sign one over a border issue.

The real national emergency is the broken political system and the seemingly hopelesly divided public that elected Trump and who knows who after him. All the Russians did was exploit divisions already here.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2019, 10:43 am

I want to move to Canada but there's a pesky border I'd have to contend with first. Then my understanding is that Canada has some fierce protections about not wanting people to move there if said people would displace a Canadian from an eligible job? I was turned away at the Canadian border in 1990 when I was young because the Canadian border patrol agent said I wasn't bringing enough money with me for the day trip I wanted to take.

Very disappointing.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2019, 10:45 am

Magna wrote:
I want to move to Canada but there's a pesky border...

Yeah, no fence there.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2019, 10:46 am

It's probably similarly difficult for an American to become an Canadian citizen as vice versa.

We Americans hope you Canadians are okay, too!

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2019, 10:50 am

AspE wrote:
Magna wrote:

Yeah, no fence there.

I don't get what you mean. I would want to cross legally and be welcomed into Canada as my country of choice. I'm saying that if I did that I believe the odds are they I'd be turned away.

Do you mean since there is no fence you're saying that I'm free to enter Canada at my will?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2019, 10:57 am

Fence or no fence, it's an international border. You have to go through customs and immigration, no matter what.

It might be easier to get the Canadian equivalent of a "green card"----but it's about as difficult to obtain citizenship in Canada as it is in the US.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2019, 11:04 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Fence or no fence, it's an international border. You have to go through customs and immigration, no matter what.

Correct. That's what I'm saying. I have relatives that are buried in Manitoba after moving there many many years ago. I see no reason why I shouldn't be able to live there and become a citizen if I so chose.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2019, 11:15 am

Magna wrote:
AspE wrote:
Magna wrote:

Yeah, no fence there.

I don't get what you mean. I would want to cross legally and be welcomed into Canada as my country of choice. I'm saying that if I did that I believe the odds are they I'd be turned away.

Do you mean since there is no fence you're saying that I'm free to enter Canada at my will?

I think he was proffering another one of those types of witticisms autistic people aren't likely to get.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2019, 11:16 am

Do you have a living close relative in Canada? I'm almost positive a relative has to sponsor you.

I am certain that a US relative has to sponsor a foreign relative in order for one to use the "relative" option.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2019, 11:23 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Here's a list of the 31 national emergencies that have been in effect for years
Quote:
According to the Federal Register, 58 national emergencies have been declared since the National Emergency Act of 1976 was signed into law by President Gerald Ford.
And 31 have been annually renewed and are currently still in effect, as listed in the Federal Register.

Trump is the first to sign one over a border issue.

The real national emergency is the broken political system and the seemingly hopelesly divided public that elected Trump and who knows who after him. All the Russians did was exploit divisions already here.

We should declare a national emergency, so that we can bring in all the Central Americans who are fleeing for their lives.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2019, 11:24 am

EzraS wrote:
Magna wrote:
AspE wrote:
Magna wrote:

Yeah, no fence there.

I think he was proffering another one of those types of witticisms autistic people aren't likely to get.

This thread is about the national "emergency" at the border. Canada manages their border without a coast to coast wall.

Let me know if that isn't autistic enough to understand.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2019, 11:27 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Do you have a living close relative in Canada? I'm almost positive a relative has to sponsor you.

I am certain that a US relative has to sponsor a foreign relative in order for one to use the "relative" option.

I no longer have any living relatives in Canada.

I would be capable of purchasing property/home in Canada if I sold my property here. I'm capable of finding some sort of gainful employment. From some people I've talked to my understanding is that Canada would most likely not welcome me and give me citizenship if I desired it. Why is that?