Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2019, 10:29 am

How many years do you think it will be until the current ‘hipster’ fashion trend goes out of fashion?

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2019, 10:38 am

Current trends always change. And there will always be a counter-culture.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2019, 10:39 am

Can you be more specific? What do you mean by "hipster fashion trend"?

In the U.S., the "lumber-sexual" fashion trend has been big among mainly men for a few years now. In addition to rugged looking clothes and flannel, the main accessory has been the nineteenth century styled beards. The beard trend makes perfect sense to me for those men who grow one (I don't) because it's a conscious (or subconscious) display of masculinity and one of THE last socially acceptable symbols of it.

The current beard fashion makes perfect sense to me in regard to WHY the men who wear them wear them. I've been interested in the fact that the long bushy beards, the fuller the better, have been well received by many women. That tells me that some things don't really change: Most men are attracted to the feminine and..... most women are attracted to the masculine.

RoseThorn13
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Feb 2019, 10:58 am

I think of hipster fashion as a cross between hippy and geek.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2019, 11:05 am

Nobody knows what you're referring to. But whatever it is that you mean by "this current hipster trend" it will prolly have the same life cycle as most other fashion trends.

TUF
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2019, 11:26 am

I hope it doesn't because I like getting away with having my dumb phone, doing my art, using an old camera, acting like a kid, going to cereal cafes and stuff and still being 'cool'.

I like any fashion trend which is pro eccentricity.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2019, 12:19 pm

I think my brother has been a hipster for the past 25 years, before the word became common.

He wears glasses, has a beard, a thing for art and jazz music, and seems to enjoy spending time in cafes drinking coffee. I don't really see what's so terrible and annoying about that, because I like getting to do those things with him whenever he visits. It's a nice change from what I usually do when my mom or social worker visits.

RoseThorn13
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Feb 2019, 12:59 pm

I love the idea of being different, but being different for the sake of "fitting in" is just annoying to me.

I'd rather like weird stuff because I actually like it, not because it's what everybody else is into.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2019, 1:16 pm

RoseThorn13 wrote:
I love the idea of being different, but being different for the sake of "fitting in" is just annoying to me.

I'd rather like weird stuff because I actually like it, not because it's what everybody else is into.

The irony is those who think that way are anything but different. If there's a million others dressing the same way, where's the originality?

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2019, 2:08 pm

Hopefully as soon as possible.

VegetableMan wrote:
RoseThorn13 wrote:

The irony is those who think that way are anything but different. If there's a million others dressing the same way, where's the originality?

This is the paradox of the "hipster" and in general idiots who grow patchy beards and wear scruffy clothes because they think they're being rebellious. When it's fashionable to be "rebellious", then the concept of being rebellious in dress ceases to be. I think people still have some ridiculous notion that cross-generational standards of dress still exist (the suit and tie, etc.) when this ceased to be the case in the 1960s. Nobody dresses well anymore except when compelled to do so for work.

Somebody above stated that there would always be a "counter-culture"; this implies that there's a consensus on what is the culture that it runs counter to. Thanks to those functionless creatures, the hippies, this is no longer the case.

Zack1994
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Feb 2019, 2:42 pm

Disco or punk?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2019, 2:56 pm

I thought it had kind of already died down a bit.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2019, 3:05 pm

I'll leave this dictionary definition here:

Hipster
noun Slang.
-a usually young person who is trendy, stylish, or progressive in an unconventional way; someone who is hip.
-a person, especially during the 1950s and 1960s, characterized by a particularly strong sense of alienation from most established social activities and relationships; a beatnik or hippie.
-a performer or admirer of jazz, especially swing; a hepcat.

Zack1994
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Feb 2019, 3:22 pm

Also young men and women with tattoos while smoking cigarettes has been around for quite a while.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2019, 4:46 pm

The term "hipster" predated the late Sixties term "hippie", and goes back to the Bebop Forties. The OP seems to believe that "hipster" was coined in the 2000s for millennial pop culture. Its been around for a long time, and it likely wont go away anytime soon.

Arguably: Einstein was a hipster:

And so is Santa Clause:

And no one was more hip than Edgar Allen Poe:

RoseThorn13
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Feb 2019, 5:41 pm

I guess that's similar to the way that goths have always kind of been around.