Sequels You Prefer to the Originals That Aren't

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

tb86
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2019, 5:52 pm

I'm not not referring to movies like say The Dark Knight or Terminator 2: Judgement Day but sequels that are considered good but critics and audiences may say aren't better but you may disagree. These are some sequels I prefer to the originals though I do tend to change my mind a lot so it's not 100% official.

Kung Fu Panda 2

Shrek 2

Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa - Most people (me included) agree the third one is the best but I have heard that most people say the second isn't as good as the first but I think it's slightly funnier and has a bit more heart.

Almost all the Harry Potter sequels - I know for a fact that most people wouldn't consider the first HP the best though with the exception of maybe the seventh one I would probably rank all the other ones ahead of the first one.

Hellboy II: The Golden Army

Mission: Impossible III - I think most people do like this one more than the original but I have gone back and fourth and have seen the original outrank this one. Many (myself included) do seem to enjoy the last three installments more and while I don't enjoy this one as much as those three I do still like it compared to the first. It's not that the first is bad but it doesn't really stand out that much compared to the others except for maybe the first act and the wire hanging scene.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2019, 7:24 pm

Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs 2.

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2019, 8:53 pm

Interesting topic. I'll list as many as I can remember.

Pirates of the Caribbean Dead Man's Chest: Now don't get me wrong every pirates movie after this is a trainwreck, but a lot of people lump this one in with those movies, even though in my opinion it's the best of the series. It's darker with more serious themes than the first movie, while still having the manic energy just shy of complete fooling around. Better soundtrack too.

Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2: Just a more personal film with more poignant moments, with jokes that are just as good. Nothing in the first film comes close to the emotional resonance of Yondu Udonta's plot line in volume 2. Ego is also a much better villain than Ronan. The first one is frankly overrated and I think gets ranked higher just for its' "freshness factor."

Aliens: I don't know if this one counts since it is held in high esteem, but I think most lists rate Alien better for whatever reason. They're wrong, the first movie is a well made, but standard horror monster feature. The second kicks everything up to 11, having a better premise (trained marines taking on the aliens instead of a wayward crew) and a higher tension level overall. Plus this is the movie where Sigourney becomes badass incarnate.

Lord of the Rings The Two Towers: Considered by most to be the worst of the 3, I actually like this one the best. The battle of helms deep is the best battle in the trilogy. This one has the most Smeagol/Gollum antics who is incredibly well portrayed. Sarumun makes a more personal opponent for Gandalf and our heroes than Sauron. Also if you rewatch Fellowship, basically everyone outside of Frodo, Sam, Aragorn, Boromir, and Gandalf gets piss poor character development. That changes in the Two Towers.

Star Wars Return of the Jedi: The Empire Strikes Back is still the best of the original trilogy, but this is better than A New Hope. The throne room scenes are the most powerful in the entire saga, and the Jabba Palace scenes are a fun caper that make up for it dragging a bit in the middle.

That's all I got for now. Most other sequels I consider better than their originals are widely held in the same regard.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2019, 1:41 pm

Before Sunset

Before Midnight

Batman Returns

Spider-Man 2

Captain America: The Winter Soldier

The Godfather Part II

Skyfall

John Wick: Chapter 2