Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MannyBoo
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2019, 6:44 am

Anyone interested in the Dune Universe book series by Frank Herbert?
Looking forward to the New Dune remake? Suppose to come out November 2020.
Directed by Denis Villenueve, the same guy who did the recent Blade Runner sequel.
The original Dune movie was directed by David Lynch in 1984 and now a cult classic.

The New Cast so far...:
Timothée Chalamet... as Paul Atreides
Josh Brolin... as Gurney Halleck
Oscar Isaac... as Duke Leto Atreides
Dave Bautista... as 'Beast' Rabban
Javier Bardem... as Stilgar
Stellan Skarsgård... as Baron Harkonnen
Charlotte Rampling... Reverend Mother Mohiam
Jason Momoa... as Duncan Idaho
Rebecca Ferguson... as Lady Jessica

All actors look OK, except for Jason Momoa.. he’s great as Aquaman, but not sure as Duncan in Dune :?

The Dune Universe timeline spans several tens of thousands of years, so if this remake is successful, there is plenty of material to make more future sequels, as many as the Marvel Universe movies, maybe even more..

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2019, 7:12 am

I hadn't heard about it...but I'm looking forward to it now.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2019, 10:17 am

I think that it would be a good start to do away with those stupidly non-canonical "Weirding Modules" and restore the original concept of the "Weirding Way" as a mental discipline and martial art-form.

ScrewyWabbit
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2019, 3:19 pm

A beast of a book, deserving of every accolade its ever received.

That said, IMHO both David Lynch's version and the Sci Fi Channel's versions had some good points, but ultimately I think this is a difficult work to translate to the screen, especially with ~2 hours of screen time to work with. But maybe the third time will be the charm.

As is said, "A beginning is the time for taking the most delicate care that the balances are correct." - so far they seem to be heeding this bit of wisdom, as they do seem to be casting some worthy actors.

MannyBoo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2019, 12:31 am

Fnord wrote:
I think that it would be a good start to do away with those stupidly non-canonical "Weirding Modules" and restore the original concept of the "Weirding Way" as a mental discipline and martial art-form.

The Wierding “Module” was Lynch’s idea, but Director Villeneuve said his new movie will not be a remake of David Lynch’s Dune, but his own interpretation directly from the original book. So it might probably go back to the original martial arts Wierding “Way” of the book.

ScrewyWabbit wrote:
A beast of a book, deserving of every accolade its ever received.
That said, IMHO both David Lynch's version and the Sci Fi Channel's versions had some good points, but ultimately I think this is a difficult work to translate to the screen, especially with ~2 hours of screen time to work with. But maybe the third time will be the charm.
As is said, "A beginning is the time for taking the most delicate care that the balances are correct." - so far they seem to be heeding this bit of wisdom, as they do seem to be casting some worthy actors.

It looks like Villeneuve’s New Dune will be a 2 part movie series. A big problem of David Lynch’s Dune is that was only 1 movie. Too short to deal with an epic storyline. I think the story and characters in the new movie will be better developed because it will have a longer amount of time.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2019, 3:22 pm

If there is one director who can pull off a new Dune adaptation, it's Denis Villeneuve. He certainly is not Peter Jackson nor Christopher Nolan (two directors who he has great admiration for), but his approach for this new Dune film could make it more appealing for audiences and could do for him what Lord of the Rings did for Peter Jackson.

I will admit this: Like many fans of Blade Runner, I thought the sequel was going to suck but it took me entirely by surprise because it managed to be its own thing and was not a rehash of the first movie.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2019, 12:33 am

I absolutely loved the Lynch movie, but I'll doubtlessly watch this with an open mind.

MannyBoo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2019, 2:07 am

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
If there is one director who can pull off a new Dune adaptation, it's Denis Villeneuve. He certainly is not Peter Jackson nor Christopher Nolan (two directors who he has great admiration for), but his approach for this new Dune film could make it more appealing for audiences and could do for him what Lord of the Rings did for Peter Jackson.

I will admit this: Like many fans of Blade Runner, I thought the sequel was going to suck but it took me entirely by surprise because it managed to be its own thing and was not a rehash of the first movie.

I agree.
Peter Jackson’s Dune? ... I think this isn’t a good idea, he doesn’t seem suited.
Christopher Nolan’s Dune? ... Better, as Interstellar was good, but not quite there.
Denis Villeneuve’s Dune? ... Based on his Blade Runner work, I think it might be good.

MannyBoo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2019, 2:17 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
I absolutely loved the Lynch movie, but I'll doubtlessly watch this with an open mind.

As you know many people criticized the movie when it came out. Everyone was expecting fun Star Wars, and got something quite different..

But I like Lynch’s Dune. He did a good job, despite all the limitations the producers put in his way. Unfortunately, because of all the production issues and criticisms, he distanced himself from his own movie.

I don’t even think there’s any Director’s Cut. Too bad. I would like to see Dune exactly as Lynch wanted it to be.
In a way, “David Lynch’s Dune” actually has never been released yet :idea:

Btw. Have you ever seen David Lynch and Kyle McLaughlin around before? They are from your area aren’t they? :wink:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2019, 2:23 am

MannyBoo wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

As you know many people criticized the movie when it came out. Everyone was expecting fun Star Wars, and got something quite different..

But I like Lynch’s Dune. He did a good job, despite all the limitations the producers put in his way. Unfortunately he distanced himself from his own movie. I don’t even think there’s any Director’s Cut. Too bad. I would like to see Dune exactly as Lynch wanted it to be.

Btw. Have you ever seen David Lynch and Kyle McLaughlin around before? They are from your area aren’t they? :wink:

David Lynch had spent part of his childhood in Spokane, but as far as I know he hasn't been around since. Just the same, he's considered one of Spokane's favorite sons.
McLaughlin actually hailed from Yakima, Washington. I don't know if he has any remaining ties in that town.

MannyBoo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2019, 12:29 am

Yep I’ve long noticed something, but this sums it up well

Star Wars is really a Dune ripoff... George Lucas stole from Dune

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2019, 12:35 am

MannyBoo wrote:

Star Wars is really a Dune ripoff... George Lucas stole from Dune

It was surely a major inspiration.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2019, 1:22 pm

MannyBoo wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

But I like Lynch’s Dune. He did a good job, despite all the limitations the producers put in his way. Unfortunately, because of all the production issues and criticisms, he distanced himself from his own movie.

I don’t even think there’s any Director’s Cut. Too bad. I would like to see Dune exactly as Lynch wanted it to be.

It's been said that Universal Pictures (the studio that produced the 1984 version) has been trying for many years to get David Lynch to do a director's cut, but Lynch has turned down all offers. In fact, he refuses to talk about his Dune movie whenever somebody brings it up in conversation with him.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2019, 1:30 pm

MannyBoo wrote:

Star Wars is really a Dune ripoff... George Lucas stole from Dune...
And Frank Herbert stole from J.R.R.Tolkein ... and J.K.Rowling Stole from George Lucas...

There are no new stories to tell.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2019, 1:46 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
MannyBoo wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

It's been said that Universal Pictures (the studio that produced the 1984 version) has been trying for many years to get David Lynch to do a director's cut, but Lynch has turned down all offers. In fact, he refuses to talk about his Dune movie whenever somebody brings it up in conversation with him.

A true Aspie, David Lynch is!

Alita
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2019, 2:42 pm

I remember starting to read the book years ago. It's haunted me forever and ever since I've been looking to get another copy of it.