What are your thoughts on Jordan B. Peterson?

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

MagicKnight
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Feb 2019, 8:21 am

ruscolokse wrote:
I have been recomended his channel by a friend. His opinions seem to divide the audience, what is your opinion on him/his work/ his opinions/ the attention hes been getting lately. Im genuinely curious.

I agree with Peterson on most anything except when it comes to his religious views.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2019, 6:28 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
shlaifu wrote:
true. for him, people are resentful, never poor or discriminated against - it's all psychological, on an individual level, never "real". The only "real" things for him are symbolic and abstract ideas.

Except he's never said that or suggested that people aren't genuinely oppressed and he's often highlighted otherwise. Where do you come up with this stuff?

he does acknowledge oppression etc. on a very general level - and then rants on about resentful people who think they are "oppressed". - it's in the structure of the argument. The first part is the thesis - the second appears as antithesis, even though he's actually talking about different people. It's quite interesting, rhetorically.
But after listening, I was often left with the feeling that people are all just whining and should get their s**t together and clean their room - and I was wondering why that was.

karathraceandherspecialdestiny
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2019, 6:32 pm

A very funny take on Jordan Peterson.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2019, 10:30 pm

shlaifu wrote:
But after listening, I was often left with the feeling that people are all just whining and should get their s**t together and clean their room - and I was wondering why that was.

Probably best to hash out who he's aiming that toward. I get the impression from his time as a clinical psychologist he's likely seen far more people who are like that than not and by extension he probably sees it a lot in the world.

As aspies/auties we're in a lot of ways more likely to work on ourselves, or need to for our survival, than a lot of other people. I think we were talking a while back about how we feel like Hobbesians when we're out in public, and to the extent that so many people (if not most I'd say at least close to half) play the 'bad attitude and narcissism make right' game and tend to bully their way through obstacles in life and weaponize outward blame, his criticism of people isn't all that different than what Manly P Hall so often threw out there in his lecture tapes (the later had a very Mark Twain sort of sarcasm about the 1950's/1960's generations). If he were aiming his message at us specifically in that sense yes - it would be off point, but I don't get that impression and especially with as many people who'd rather - any day of the week - start external conflict rather than self-examine.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2019, 7:09 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
shlaifu wrote:

Probably best to hash out who he's aiming that toward. I get the impression from his time as a clinical psychologist he's likely seen far more people who are like that than not and by extension he probably sees it a lot in the world.

As aspies/auties we're in a lot of ways more likely to work on ourselves, or need to for our survival, than a lot of other people. I think we were talking a while back about how we feel like Hobbesians when we're out in public, and to the extent that so many people (if not most I'd say at least close to half) play the 'bad attitude and narcissism make right' game and tend to bully their way through obstacles in life and weaponize outward blame, his criticism of people isn't all that different than what Manly P Hall so often threw out there in his lecture tapes (the later had a very Mark Twain sort of sarcasm about the 1950's/1960's generations). If he were aiming his message at us specifically in that sense yes - it would be off point, but I don't get that impression and especially with as many people who'd rather - any day of the week - start external conflict rather than self-examine.

I can agree with that first paragraph - he seems to extrapolate from working with patients, and therefore sees individual pathology wherever he looks.
actually, I also agree with the second paragraph.