What are your thoughts on Jordan B. Peterson?

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ruscolokse
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Feb 2019, 12:39 pm

I have been recomended his channel by a friend. His opinions seem to divide the audience, what is your opinion on him/his work/ his opinions/ the attention hes been getting lately. Im genuinely curious.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2019, 12:47 pm

According to This Wikipedia Article...

Quote:
Jordan Bernt Peterson is a Canadian clinical psychologist and a professor of psychology at the University of Toronto. His main areas of study are in abnormal, social, and personality psychology, with a particular interest in the psychology of religious and ideological belief, and the assessment and improvement of personality and performance.

In 2016 Peterson released a series of YouTube videos criticizing political correctness and the Canadian government's Bill C-16. The act added gender identity as a prohibited ground of discrimination, which Peterson characterised as an introduction of compelled speech into law. He subsequently received significant media coverage, attracting both support and criticism...
The article mentions his hatred of "Political Correctness"...
Quote:
According to his study—conducted with one of his students, Christine Brophy -- of the relationship between political belief and personality, political correctness exists in two types: "PC-egalitarianism" and "PC-authoritarianism", which is a manifestation of "offense sensitivity". He places classical liberals in the first type, and places so-called social justice warriors, who he says "weaponize compassion", in the second. The study also found an overlap between PC-authoritarians and right-wing authoritarians.

Peterson considers that the universities should be held as among the most responsible for the wave of political correctness which appeared in North America and Europe. According to Peterson, he watched the rise of political correctness on campuses since the early 1990s, and considers that the humanities have become corrupt, less reliant on science, and instead of "intelligent conversation, we are having an ideological conversation". From his own experience as a university professor, he states that the students who are coming to his classes are uneducated and unaware about the mass exterminations and crimes by Stalinism and Maoism, which were not given the same attention as fascism and Nazism. He also says that "instead of being ennobled or inculcated into the proper culture, the last vestiges of structure are stripped from the students by post-modernism and neo-Marxism, which defines everything in terms of relativism and power".

My kind of professor!

:D

Crimadella
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2019, 1:30 pm

ruscolokse wrote:
I have been recomended his channel by a friend. His opinions seem to divide the audience, what is your opinion on him/his work/ his opinions/ the attention hes been getting lately. Im genuinely curious.

Definitely look into him. He is a very good hearted and intelligent person. His opinions are based off of intellectual thought and study. He may not always be right(no one is), but he is open enough to learn from others. He is drawing so much attention because a lot of people understand his thoughts are reasonable while people constantly attack him for not being politically correct, the ole Alt-Right label attack form the radical left(SJW Type), not to be mistaken for progressive left. If you don't agree with irrational opinions, you are alt-right even if you are a progressive leftist, lol.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2019, 1:41 pm

I'd never heard of him - before googling just now

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2019, 2:19 pm

I agree with most things he had to say. I think we need more such intellectuals in the public sphere.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2019, 2:34 pm

I'd say he's well worth a listen. He has a few eccentricities, but at the very least he usually has an eloquent and interesting analysis to present.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2019, 4:36 pm

His is teaching personality development according to C.G.Jung, which is basically a religious approach, and not used by scientific approaches.
It doesn't mean it's all wrong, it's just all full of "wisdom" you can find in any religious text. And as with any religious text, you have to pick yourself what you want to keep and what you want to discard.

His cultural criticism is a mixed bag of reasonable arguments (university tuition fees are creating indebted servitude), and unreasonable nonsense (cultural marxism is a very, very vague concept used by alt-rights to vaguely define an enemy), based on really bad sources (Randian philosopher Stephen Hicks, who wrote a very confused and biased randian analysis of postmodernism, and some even more confused things about modern art, which I happen to know something about and can definitively judge: this chap is about as realiable as any angry youtuber ranting about modern art).

so: overall: mixed bag, heavily religiously tainted, mainly confused about things he didn't read/doesn't understand but blames for general dissolution of society.
consume at own risk, or maybe read an actual book, which is probably better.
I recommend Yuval Noah Harari or Robert Sapolsky instead.

karathraceandherspecialdestiny
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2019, 6:57 pm

I think he's a vain fame-whore who will say anything to stay in the spotlight for another 5 minutes.

I'm rather embarrassed that he teaches in Canada--I'd like to export him, like Bieber. America can have him.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2019, 10:15 pm

I started off with his 2015 Maps of Meaning on Youtube (he's been generous enough to record his classes - ie. free public auditing since well before he had any clue that he'd get global fame/notoriety) and I think it's a great place to start because the concepts progress from one another quite well.

I think he's done a good job of bringing us back to symbol, the importance of emergent group phenomena, how our subconscious minds shape our behavior not just individually but at the mass level, and he's done a lot as well to shake out a lot of what actually happens when people try to implement utopian schemas (not what they wished for) as well as sorting out human evil, how it happens, and what its precursors are.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

RushKing
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2019, 11:05 pm

A man who due to his profession, is conditioned to only look and attempt to solve issues regarding human behavior, at the individual scale.

Peterson over extends himself into historic, political/sociological topics, where he who only studied psychology isn't qualified to speak with authority about.

RushKing
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2019, 11:27 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
I think he's done a good job of bringing us back to symbol, the importance of emergent group phenomena, how our subconscious minds shape our behavior not just individually but at the mass level, and he's done a lot as well to shake out a lot of what actually happens when people try to implement utopian schemas (not what they wished for) as well as sorting out human evil, how it happens, and what its precursors are.

Psychologists don't specialize in groups or masses of people. They look at the individual.

Bumsides
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Feb 2019, 11:41 pm

Great man!

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2019, 5:42 am

RushKing wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:

Psychologists don't specialize in groups or masses of people. They look at the individual.

true. for him, people are resentful, never poor or discriminated against - it's all psychological, on an individual level, never "real". The only "real" things for him are symbolic and abstract ideas.
He explains millions of Germans turning Nazi with Hitler's psychology. That a whole generation grew up in this symbolic order and it was just normal for them, that they were just children of their times, never plays a role for him.

He also never mentions that 2 out of 2 people he admires had temporal lobe epilepsy -personality disorder (Jung, Dostoyevsky etc.) -

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2019, 5:47 am

ruscolokse wrote:

Lots of borrowed ideas. He's become popular for introducing people to ideas which have been out there for a while, and expressed better.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2019, 7:07 am

RushKing wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:

You seem to be suggesting that industrial/organizational psych doesn't exist.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2019, 7:09 am

shlaifu wrote:
true. for him, people are resentful, never poor or discriminated against - it's all psychological, on an individual level, never "real". The only "real" things for him are symbolic and abstract ideas.

Except he's never said that or suggested that people aren't genuinely oppressed and he's often highlighted otherwise. Where do you come up with this stuff?