There's a weird cat that hangs around my apartment building.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2019, 4:55 pm

I saw it again today, I can't tell if its a male or female cat. But yeah there was a squirrel outside in a tree near where I have seen that cat hanging out more than once just chattering away and swishing its tail like they do when there is a predator about. So I went over to see if the cat was over there and sure enough it was lazing near a bush pretty much ignoring the squirrel which was kind of funny.

This is a weird cat because it seems friendly in a sense but also not. First time I saw it I was out on my porch and the cat was walking by and meowed at me before continuing on its way. Ever since then when I have seen the cat it always acknowledges me and sometimes will meow in a friendly manner but wont come close enough to pet. If you try to walk up the cat just moves further away, while still making friendly meows. Also sometimes responds with meows if you talk to it. I suppose I have just never seen a cat act quite like that, so yeah I guess that is my cat story for today.

graceksjp
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2019, 6:09 pm

You should adopt it because cats are awesome and everyone should have one

(and also because stray cats arent good and you should probably take it to the vet to find out if a) its neutered or spayed and b) if it belongs to anyone)

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2019, 6:09 pm

Thanks for the story. Cats are awesome.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2019, 6:56 pm

Its prolly looking for a handout.

But it might settle for a pet if you approach her right. While you're cooing to the kitty move your petting had toward her underhanded and palm up. You might be doing it wrong by making the common mistake of moving your petting hand down towards the animal's head palm down (animals get spooked when you do it that way because they think you're about to smack them).

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2019, 7:19 pm

Ah, a little tease; I've known cats like that!

Pull up a cushion on a nice day, sit down (makes you look smaller and less likely to make a sudden move), chill out, and let the cat come to you in it's own time. You have to make them think that they're the one doing the choosing! [What was I thinking? A human bending the will of cat? Stupidest thing I've said all day. :lol: ] And like, naturalplastic said, watch your body-language and don't hold direct eye-contact - just be as unthreatening as possible, basically.

Alterity
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2019, 10:27 pm

Next time you are looking at each other, try giving the cat a slow blink. (You can try multiple times) If it blinks back it means it likes you/relaxed with you near by. It also means if you continue to try to interact with it, you will probably be able to approach & pet it at some point.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2019, 10:07 am

You may just be getting a new pet soon!